The South American Accords

Captain Enema

"These obligations, if you'll permit me to elabourate," Isabel replied to the Chancellor's concerns. "They apply solely to outside invasions. Internal South American disputes are far more complex affairs, and we must deal with them on a case by case basis-- historically, it has indeed not been necessary to involve all nations of the continent in such matters. So long as a foreign military threat is not involved, they do not affect us: it's only when a foreign power attempts to intervene in sovereign South American affairs that these obligations become tangible. Does this change your opinion on the matter?"

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Chancellor nodded to Isabel's response, but remained concerned. "Unfortunately my concerns were not with internal matters. I agree those must be dealt with on a case by case basis, but my concerns lie with those outside threats. It is of my opinion and most of my Generals that even if all of South America banded together when Tianxia invaded we still would have failed to repel them. Simply put, if the Republica believes that our combined forces could defeat an enemy that was encroaching on South America, we would gladly lend our forces to the cause, pact or no. However I have no intention of leading my people into a war we can't win, and that's what I'm worried this pact will bring us."

"A military pact of this nature would show our hand to people who sought to stake a claim in SA. I do not disagree that there should be a stand against foreigners, but we need to be intelligent about it. We do not want people attempting to make us "prove" our ability to defend our territory and we do not want people to prove themselves by trying to establish a colony. Internal disputes can easily be handled by any one of us, but foreign invasions will require a united stand. We have no statements regarding the economic pact at this time." stated Timerman, after the comments of the other two representatives.

Edited by Voodoo Nova

The premier considered this. Both did bring up valid points. "I respect your stance, Chancellor Delgado," she ventured tentatively. "As well as yours, Minister Timerman. My statement was made, on the contrary, however, with the prediction that far from showing our hand, it would be a straightforward message to those same adversaries that South America stands united against foreign aggression. But the perspectives you have pointed out are equally possible responces. We don't, as you've said, Chancellor, want to necessarily be obligated to fight an unwinnable war, and we do not, as you've pointed out, Minister Timerman, want to inadvertently attract belligerence. In that case, it seems what would be most preferable for all involved would be an 'unspoken pact' of sorts, to reject foreign encroachments into South American matters where it is deemed the wisest course of actions to combine our forces.

That being said, Chancellor Delgado, have you any opinion on an economic agreement?"

[Message to the Accords members]

"Good day, Ladies and Gentlemen.

The USCA wouldlike to inquire as to the stability of the Colombian parts of your protectorate. We have received reports from police and border guards that drug smugglers appear to be working in that region, apparently supported by local militia. We would request that you dispatch an expedition to the this reprehensible cooperation between criminals and supposed law-enforcers.

Should this not occur to our satisfaction, the USCA may be forces to send troops itself to end this threat to the livelihood of Panama's citizens.

Thank you for your attention."

[Message to the Accords members]

"Good day, Ladies and Gentlemen.

The USCA wouldlike to inquire as to the stability of the Colombian parts of your protectorate. We have received reports from police and border guards that drug smugglers appear to be working in that region, apparently supported by local militia. We would request that you dispatch an expedition to the this reprehensible cooperation between criminals and supposed law-enforcers.

Should this not occur to our satisfaction, the USCA may be forces to send troops itself to end this threat to the livelihood of Panama's citizens.

Thank you for your attention."

Though we have had no reports of significant drug smuggling activity in Colombia, an order for a thorough investigation into these suspicions has been put to the SAO. We must stress, however, that any intervention into South America by the USCA will not be tolerated. If your reports prove accurate, it will be handled and any significant drug operations being run out of Colombia will be dealt with.

A message is sent by the newly created Amazon Confederation to the South American Organization that reads:

"We come in peace, take us to your leaders."

-Chavez

Dr. Chavez, as a representative for the Amazon Confederacy's bid for independence, would be permitted an open channel through the South American Accords and the involved nations to make his case for independence.

Though we have had no reports of significant drug smuggling activity in Colombia, an order for a thorough investigation into these suspicions has been put to the SAO. We must stress, however, that any intervention into South America by the USCA will not be tolerated. If your reports prove accurate, it will be handled and any significant drug operations being run out of Colombia will be dealt with.

"Even after thorough investigation within Panama and neighbouring Costa Rica, we have not discovered any large,scale efforts for drug production as they'd be needed for the amounts that have recently been confiscated on two different occasions. Furthermore, we have no evidence of delivery by sea, which leaves only the land route - Colombia. Just as you claim to not tolerate 'intervention' into South America, we will not tolerate corrupt militias empowering drug cartels and aiding their efforts to sell illicit goods in our richest states. These militias are most likely the reason why you haven't been notified of these events yet."

"Even after thorough investigation within Panama and neighbouring Costa Rica, we have not discovered any large,scale efforts for drug production as they'd be needed for the amounts that have recently been confiscated on two different occasions. Furthermore, we have no evidence of delivery by sea, which leaves only the land route - Colombia. Just as you claim to not tolerate 'intervention' into South America, we will not tolerate corrupt militias empowering drug cartels and aiding their efforts to sell illicit goods in our richest states. These militias are most likely the reason why you haven't been notified of these events yet."

"This is an unlikely scenario, considering Pará's northern OTH station continues to monitor northern South America for precisely this kind of large-scale illicit movement. The rise of notable drug cartel activity in Colombia would have been detected and acted upon, but no such activity has been tracked. Nevertheless, as said, an official SAO investigation into this matter is underway, and you will be notified of the results of that investigation as they begin to filter in."

"Greetings I am Mr Abraham Davidson. My party has recently won the general election in Paraguay and is now the democratically elected government in charge of Paraguay. Though it is my and my party's desire to be independent and self sustaining I am also not blind to duties I will be required to follow. One of these duties is to help with the South American Organisation thus I hereby affirm Paraguay's commitment to the SAO". 

"This is an unlikely scenario, considering Pará's northern OTH station continues to monitor northern South America for precisely this kind of large-scale illicit movement. The rise of notable drug cartel activity in Colombia would have been detected and acted upon, but no such activity has been tracked. Nevertheless, as said, an official SAO investigation into this matter is underway, and you will be notified of the results of that investigation as they begin to filter in."

"Are you claiming that an OTH radar, an Over The Horizon radar, is capable of detecting movement on the ground? In a highly mountainous region, too?

Please fire whoever told you it works like that, because by god, they were wrong."

"Are you claiming that an OTH radar, an Over The Horizon radar, is capable of detecting movement on the ground? In a highly mountainous region, too?

Please fire whoever told you it works like that, because by god, they were wrong."

"This information is also backed by information from our RQ-4 Global Hawk units, which routinely run patrols throughout the South American Protectorate as part of Pará's commitment to the SAO-- with especially vigilant missions in light of recent events in the SAO protectorate. They would have registered any large-scale land activity, just as the OTH radar would have registered any air and sea transport of narcotics. As neither method has picked up any evidence of such activity, we have no reason to believe Colombia is host to any large-scale drum cartel activity."

OOC: I apologise for being a derp and thinking the OTH radar could track large-scale land movement as well. I misinterpreted US Navy reports as saying they could track land, sea, and air activity of a certain capacity.

Edited by dotCom

"This information is also backed by information from our RQ-4 Global Hawk units, which routinely run patrols throughout the South American Protectorate as part of Pará's commitment to the SAO-- with especially vigilant missions in light of recent events in the SAO protectorate. They would have registered any large-scale land activity, just as the OTH radar would have registered any air and sea transport of narcotics. As neither method has picked up any evidence of such activity, we have no reason to believe Colombia is host to any large-scale drum cartel activity."

OOC: I apologise for being a derp and thinking the OTH radar could track large-scale land movement as well. I misinterpreted US Navy reports as saying they could track land, sea, and air activity of a certain capacity.

OOC: :v:

IC:

"A single vehicle is capable of transporting several hundred kilograms of drugs. What do you understand under 'large-scale land activity'? A fleet of 50 heavy trucks cruising along the highways? A few jeeps going through secret routes that we can't find would be enough for most operations. You seem to expect these people to act like a modern military, not like guerillas."

OOC: :v:

IC:

"A single vehicle is capable of transporting several hundred kilograms of drugs. What do you understand under 'large-scale land activity'? A fleet of 50 heavy trucks cruising along the highways? A few jeeps going through secret routes that we can't find would be enough for most operations. You seem to expect these people to act like a modern military, not like guerillas."

"We don't need to look for fifty heavy trucks cruising along the highways-- our Global Hawks scour the mountainsides, which are infinitely more likely to harbour potential terrorist or militant activity. If you are aware of the Global Hawk's capabilities-- that a single one can survey every inch of terrain across one hundred thousand square kilometres in a single day, with a synthetic aperture radar system that can provide resolution down to less than two metres over ten square kilometres in a single frame, to say nothing of several acting in unison-- then you should understand that a few jeeps navigating the mountains would be unable to remain concealed to their eyes. Any indication of drug cartels operating out of Colombia would have been found, but there is none. No physical evidence, no information from eyewitnesses or SAO officials working in the area-- absolutely nothing. Merely conjecture on your part. I regret that the USCA is experiencing difficulties with illicit narcotics, but the perpetrator is almost certainly not in South America, and once the SAO investigation concludes, I feel certain this will remain the case."

"We thank you for the open channel. Simply put, the Amazon Confederacy has organized itself into the beginning of a functional government and has conducted a voting process . This visit is a request for recognition."

-Chavez

Pará has no reason to object to recognition of the Amazon Confederacy-- SAO - supervised referendums have been held to confirm popular support for independence, and with the procedure standard of SAO oversight of a territory into an independent nation, with various former SAO personnel remaining behind to continue to operate their respective positions, Pará officially recognises the Amazon Confederacy, and awaits input from its fellow South American states.

"We don't need to look for fifty heavy trucks cruising along the highways-- our Global Hawks scour the mountainsides, which are infinitely more likely to harbour potential terrorist or militant activity. If you are aware of the Global Hawk's capabilities-- that a single one can survey every inch of terrain across one hundred thousand square kilometres in a single day, with a synthetic aperture radar system that can provide resolution down to less than two metres over ten square kilometres in a single frame, to say nothing of several acting in unison-- then you should understand that a few jeeps navigating the mountains would be unable to remain concealed to their eyes. Any indication of drug cartels operating out of Colombia would have been found, but there is none. No physical evidence, no information from eyewitnesses or SAO officials working in the area-- absolutely nothing. Merely conjecture on your part. I regret that the USCA is experiencing difficulties with illicit narcotics, but the perpetrator is almost certainly not in South America, and once the SAO investigation concludes, I feel certain this will remain the case."

"We request permission to send investigators of our own into Colombia and Venezuela. A few experienced men on the ground who know what to look for are worth more than a hundred of your oh-so-great drones."

Edited by Lynneth

"The sound of these militia's is troubling to the Republica with the recent attacks by a similar group closer to home. We will add our surveillance drones to scouring the area for these activities you speak of, as well as send investigators to determine if your claims are true. The SAO isn't omnipotent, it is possible something like this could have slipped through its net. Though, the border between Colombia and yours isn't very large. Perhaps you should consider securing it better?"

"We also have no reason to refuse recognition of the Amazon Confederacy. Consider yourselves fully recognized by the Republica."

"We request permission to send investigators of our own into Colombia and Venezuela. A few experienced men on the ground who know what to look for are worth more than a hundred of your oh-so-great drones."

"Permission tentatively denied, seeing as there are, as you have said, many 'experienced men on the ground who know what to look for who are worth more than a hundred of our oh-so-great drones' currently conducting an investigation into the matter. Once this investigation is completed, all evidence-- or lack thereof-- regarding narcotics trafficking in the territories in question will be made public for your analysis and investigation. The SAO is a neutral third party organisation wholly capable of conducting an efficient investigation and its information can be collated along with data from Pará's drones and the Imperio Republica's own investigation to produce an extremely accurate picture of the situation that you are convinced exists in Colombia and Venezuela. There is no reason to doubt their ability to uncover any covert drug operations occurring in their area of administration."

Edited by dotCom

"The sound of these militia's is troubling to the Republica with the recent attacks by a similar group closer to home. We will add our surveillance drones to scouring the area for these activities you speak of, as well as send investigators to determine if your claims are true. The SAO isn't omnipotent, it is possible something like this could have slipped through its net. Though, the border between Colombia and yours isn't very large. Perhaps you should consider securing it better?"

"At the time, tightening border security is not possible. Internal events require police and guard forces elsewhere in the nation.."

"Permission tentatively denied, seeing as there are, as you have said, many 'experienced men on the ground who know what to look for are worth more than a hundred of our oh-so-great drones' currently conducting an investigation into the matter. Once this investigation is completed, all evidence-- or lack thereof-- regarding narcotics trafficking in the territories in question will be made public for your analysis and investigation. The SAO is a neutral third party organisation wholly capable of conducting an efficient investigation and its information can be collated along with data from Pará's drones and the Imperio Republica's own investigation to produce an extremely accurate picture of the situation that you are convinced exists in Colombia and Venezuela. There is no reason to doubt their ability to uncover any covert drug operations occurring in their area of administration."

"Very well."

"Argentina will recognize The Amazon Confederacy as well. As for the concerns of the USCA, until you can provide substantial proof of the trafficking through the Darién Gap, we will continue to investigate. The probability there is a large trafficking operation going through the marshlands, swamplands to the highlands of the Gap, is very low. People who are near that region understand how difficult it is to traverse that region of Latin America in wheeled vehicles capable of carrying kilos of drugs. There is a reason why cartels in the past used boats and planes from Colombia."

Edited by Voodoo Nova

"At the time, tightening border security is not possible. Internal events require police and guard forces elsewhere in the nation.."

"Yet you have the manpower to send investigations into a highly mountainous, swampy, and dense areas. Interesting."

"Yet you have the manpower to send investigations into a highly mountainous, swampy, and dense areas. Interesting."

"Border guards, and military have a different manpower pool from drug investigators in our nation. Perhaps that is a new concept for you, but it is so in the USCA."