A nation, reborn

arentak

A man wearing a military uniform covered in medals walks across a grassy plane.  There is no sign of civilization anywhere.  The expression on his face is perplexed as he keeps walking.  

"I swear, we had a fallout shelter here..." he says to himself.

He continues walking up a hill and upon reaching the top, he smiles.  Down below is a valley, and there are some small thatch houses and dozens of people milling about, seemingly without purpose.  He walks down the hill and says to a group of people "Where is my great capital?  This is the right location.  My chronometer tells me only two years have passed since I left.  It couldn't have faded so quickly."

With his attention upon them, the villagers perk up, some of them get to work, gathering resources, while one of them steps forward to respond.  "Master Arentak, when you left, within a short time, everything disappeared.  This reality we live in only exists because you will it.  When you lose interest in us, we fade away.  Now that your attention is focused on us again, we have appeared."

"And where are my aircraft carriers, nuclear missiles, heck, where are the schools?" The uniformed man asks.  

The villager replies "When your attention is gone for too long, it all goes away, forever.  The Glorious Nation you once led is lost."

The uniformed man nods and exclaims "My people, we shall be great again!  Now get to work building me a proper place to live.  I won't live in a hovel.  Gather the young men, leave their spears at home.  I'll be showing them how to use rifles.  And with this..."  he pulls out a wad of cash from his shirt pocket.  "..we can afford to arm them!"

• 2 months later...

This statement is classified at clearance level Ultraviolet: Knowledge or possession of this information by citizens of security clearance Violet or lower is treason and punishable by termination and erasure of clone template from the Alpha Complex database.

The Computer wishes to welcome you to Planet Bob, citizen Arentak. Certain details of your return have been detected by Internal Security [TEXT REDACTED], and now INTSEC operatives have been dispatched to [INFORMATION NOT AVAILABLE AT YOUR CLEARANCE]. Alpha Complex and the Computer are your friends. Help the Computer, and the Computer will help you. INTSEC [TEXT REDACTED] have detected mentions of "aircraft carrier" and "nuclear missile." Any information, schematics, or other data you can provide the operatives for our R&D service would be greatly appreciated and a show of good faith that you are not working with subversive communist traitors to undermine the glorious efforts of Alpha Complex to restore Planet Bob to its former glory.