American Commonwealth -- J Andres Conference

J Andres

OOC: Closed to the American Commonwealth and J Andres

July 2058 // February 2013

ADRIK ANNAN GOVERNMENTAL CENTRE -- ENDOR CUIDAD, J ANDRES

Patrick Aurora paced the meeting room. Aurora had been working on setting up a conference with The American Commonwealth for multiple years. Just yesterday, President McDowell determined that the conference should be held in his office. Suddenly the press printing headlines about 'McDowell's Conference,' and Aurora was relegated to an afterthought.

"At least he could have had the decency to show up on time!" the rotund Foreign Affairs Minister exclaimed. Aurora was known for his appetite, and the capital chefs had outdone themselves with clamcakes, chowder, and other tastes of the Maritime Republic. Aurora inhaled a tray of the refreshments and then hid the empty tray behind a potted plant.

Aurora was startled by the President's entrance as he finished hiding the evidence of the tray. "Good morning, Mr. President," he said.

McDowell nodded his head and took a seat around the small round table, "I'll be honest Patrick, I didn't have a chance to read the itinerary email you sent. Can you bring me up to speed?"

Aurora groaned audibly as a loud knocking was heard at the door. "The delegation from the Commonwealth have arrived," said the guard outside the door. Aurora waddled over as fast as he could manage, and opened the door to greet the delegation.

Edited by J Andres

The short trip to J Andres was made on Air Force One where President Bronson, Secretary of State McNutt and several secret service agents disembarked at the airport and made their way to the meeting place.  Only Bronson, McNutt and the head of the secret service detail would actually go in for the meeting.  Entering the room President Bronson and Secretary McNutt greeted and shook hands with both President McDowell and Foreign Minister Aurora.

"It is a pleasure to see you both once again!" Minister Aurora smiled as he ushered in the Americans. President McDowell rose from his seat, and Aurora introduced him as well, "President Bronson, Secretary McNutt, this is President Evan McDowell."

Once everyone had settled in at the table, Minister Aurora spoke again, "When we met in Zermatt, I proposed that we enter an economic agreement that would ensure both of our nations have a prosperous future. Imagine the savings if your shipping vehicles can cut directly through J Andres to reach your northern regions, and not just travel the highways. I am talking about open borders with no restrictions. J Andres could contribute financially to securing the Commonwealth's external borders. Our only border is with the Commonwealth, which could then be completely open, encouraging free trade, business, and an exchange of culture."

The Minister attempted to gauge the reactions of the visiting dignitaries, but he was having difficulty reading their expressions. "And an open border doesn't need to stop on land," he continued. "J Andres territorial waters could be opened to not only to Commonwealth trading vessels, but to military vessels as well." President McDowell shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"Your government has stood by ours during our internal matter last year. For that, you have our gratitude," Aurora thanked. "I only hope that I have conveyed my message clearly enough--a strong partnership between the Maritime Republic and the Commonwealth, is for the Common Good of both our nations."

"Well we are happy that that whole situation was resolved as it was" said President Bronson.  "The American Commonwealth desires friendly and stable relations with its neighbors.  On the note of open borders we are willing to accept a somewhat limited version with free trade.  Obviously citizens who wish to cross will still need to apply for visas and passports through the appropriate channels but we can do what we can to streamline this process as well as minimizing trade tariffs to promote trade between our nations.  This would also apply to maritime trade and air routes".

Edited by MostGloriousLeader

President McDowell's eyes darted back and forth between Minister Aurora and President Bronson. "That sounds very agreeable, Mr. President," McDowell said with a smile. "I hope Minister Aurora has not--" Aurora opened his mouth to speak but the President silenced him with a quick raise of his hand. "I hope the Minister's plan has not come across as too lofty for you," the President continued. "He has been dying to meet with you for sometime, and he has cooked up some really terrific ideas. Some of which would be beneficial not only for our nations, but for the region as a whole." The President watched as Aurora slinked back into his seat. "I do believe that we should ease into these international agreements slowly, Minister Aurora will have to keep his North American dreams in check for the time being." Minister Aurora cursed under his breath. "Now, back to the economic agreements," President McDowell said while rearranging the papers in front of him. "Do you have any other proposals, economic or otherwise?"

Minister Aurora rose from his seat giddily, "I look forward to sharing them with you, sir," he quickly composed himself, "When the time is right of course!"

He momentarily excused himself from the room, and when he returned he produced a single sheet of ivory paper. He turned to the American dignataries, "I hope you will find these terms agreeable," he said with a smile. After a brief hesitation he continued, "Make any changes that you see fit."

In the interest of common prosperity for the Atlantic coast of North America, the American Commonwealth and the Maritime Republic of J Andres, enter into an economic agreement to promote economic growth and opportunities between neighboring nations through the following resolutions:

Resolve to minimize tariffs, to promote international growth and expanded markets for domestically produced goods.

Resolve to simplify and expedite, travel and work visa approvals, to promote the exchange of goods, services, peoples, and ideas across borders, whether by land, air, or sea.

Resolve to maintain friendly relations of state, to promote the economic stability that follows.

The American Commonwealth and the Maritime Republic of J Andres enter into this agreement upon the authority of the signatures below. Notice of termination of this agreement may be initiated by either party, and shall be conducted through proper diplomatic channels.

For the American Commonwealth,

For the Maritime Republic of J Andres,

Evan McDowell, President

Patrick Aurora, Minister of Foreign Affairs

"It seems like everything is in order here as far as I can tell" responded the President as he and the Secretary of State signed the document.

David Bronson,

President of the American Commonwealth

Christopher McNutt,

Secretary of State of the American Commonwealth

In the interest of common prosperity for the Atlantic coast of North America, the American Commonwealth and the Maritime Republic of J Andres,
enter into an economic agreement to promote economic growth and
opportunities between neighboring nations through the following
resolutions:

Resolve to minimize tariffs, to promote international growth and expanded markets for domestically produced goods.

Resolve
to simplify and expedite, travel and work visa approvals, to promote
the exchange of goods, services, peoples, and ideas across borders,
whether by land, air, or sea.

Resolve to maintain friendly relations of state, to promote the economic stability that follows.

The
American Commonwealth and the Maritime Republic of J Andres enter into
this agreement upon the authority of the signatures below. Notice of
termination of this agreement may be initiated by either party, and
shall be conducted through proper diplomatic channels.

For the American Commonwealth,

David Bronson,

President of the American Commonwealth

Christopher McNutt,

Secretary of State of the American Commonwealth

For the Maritime Republic of J Andres,

Evan McDowell,

President of the Maritime Republic of J Andres

Patrick Aurora,

Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Maritime Republic of J Andres

President McDowell shook the hands of President Bronson and Secretary McNutt one more time, "Gentlemen, it has been a pleasure. I look forward to many more years of friendly relations."