The Amazing Sanction Race

Logan

A mass alliance can do pretty well. It's more a product of enforcing standards on members and kicking out people who are unwilling to do stuff with aid slots.Also putting effort into making sure slot filling is as convenient as possible, but sometimes it's a "you can take the camel to water, but can't make it drink" deal.

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1336000394' post='2962467']
A mass alliance can do pretty well. It's more a product of enforcing standards on members and kicking out people who are unwilling to do stuff with aid slots.Also putting effort into making sure slot filling is as convenient as possible, but sometimes it's a "you can take the camel to water, but can't make it drink" deal.
[/quote]

We do just fine without such madness :P Booting a member because they aren't using their aid slots would be pretty crazy, all for the sake of a bigger number in stats!

[quote name='Dajobo' timestamp='1336004645' post='2962524']
We do just fine without such madness :P Booting a member because they aren't using their aid slots would be pretty crazy, all for the sake of a bigger number in stats!
[/quote]

I'd argue the reverse. Keeping them on the AA as a useless chunk of infra would be for the sake of a bigger number in stats.

[quote name='NationRuler' timestamp='1336011490' post='2962599']
I'd argue the reverse. Keeping them on the AA as a useless chunk of infra would be for the sake of a bigger number in stats.
[/quote]

I agree with you, when I was in Polaris I gave the suggestion to enforce the use of aid slots by members, don't need to say that I failed miserably.

[/quote]

It's called cutting out the dead weight.

Also good to hear D34th.(not the failure)

Edited by Roquentin

[quote name='Dajobo' timestamp='1336022504' post='2962673']
I'm my defence according to the game screen

Polaris 985 / 1,384 = 71.17%
Umbrella 468 / 670 = 69.85%

We do ok.
[/quote]

To be fair, the reparations are kind of a way to enforce the use of the aid slots.

[quote name='D34th' timestamp='1336015094' post='2962630']I agree with you, when I was in Polaris I gave the suggestion to enforce the use of aid slots by members, don't need to say that I failed miserably.[/quote]
I'd suggest that for the GPA, but we'd be too inactive to really conclude the discussion, so...

Edited by jerdge

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1336000394' post='2962467']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote name='NationRuler' timestamp='1336011490' post='2962599']
[/quote]

and that's why theres a difference between mass alliances and elites.. if mass alliances kick out everyone who doesn't fully utilize their aid slots they'll no longer be a mass alliance and become an elite one..

So yes a mass alliance can do fine.. but not great in order to do that they'll have to reform to something that wont be a mass alliance for long.

Looking at slot stats over the last years i would say most mass alliances will top out around 60% under normal circumstances (so no reparations) while elite alliances can go somewhere from 70-90%.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I know in your case your comments are meant to be patronizing -- but unless we're going to establish a new definition of elite or establish that we now view mass and smaller alliances in different context -- something that hasn't really ever been done, that's a little much.

Edited by IYIyTh

[quote name='IYIyTh' timestamp='1336062662' post='2962894']
Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I know in your case your comments are meant to be patronizing -- but unless we're going to establish a new definition of elite or establish that we now view mass and smaller alliances in different context -- something that hasn't really ever been done, that's a little much.
[/quote]

Pandering or not he's actually right, those two alliances are the only ones who have been able to balance mass membership/recruiting with very effective nation building/activity(from Wat I can tell)/and war abulity. There are some that can be argued as well like NG but they still don't compare to their numbers tbh

[quote name='kriekfreak' timestamp='1336058631' post='2962874']
There are alliances that can be considered an elitist mass alliance (yes I said it). NPO and IRON come up.
[/quote]
I don't know enough about IRON to speak to them, but I'd say NPO's activity rates prevent them from being considered "elite". They are strong [i]for a mass alliance[/i], but they're still definitely a mass alliance.

[quote name='Dajobo' timestamp='1336022504' post='2962673']
I'm my defence according to the game screen

Polaris 985 / 1,384 = 71.17%
Umbrella 468 / 670 = 69.85%

We do ok.
[/quote]

That's great! But just so it's clear, nations that have 10k tech and empty slots are much different than nations with no tech having empty slots.

But that is a nice slot efficiency and you should be proud of it.

[quote name='kriekfreak' timestamp='1336058631' post='2962874']There are alliances that can be considered an elitist mass alliance (yes I said it). NPO and IRON come up.[/quote]
This can be correct or not, depending on what "elite" means.
[i]If[/i] we agree that "elite" means that participants are required to excel (or they're eventually removed) you need a very strong focus on activity, and your group must be very much appealing, for people to stick around and actually increase in numbers.
Such an alliance would probably have much higher than average application and dropoff rates. Do we know if this is the case for the NPO and/or IRON?

[spoiler]I am all for mass ethylism alliances, anyway. :shots: [/spoiler]

[quote name='kriekfreak' timestamp='1336058631' post='2962874']
There are alliances that can be considered an elitist mass alliance (yes I said it). NPO and IRON come up.
[/quote]
ODN consistly imports a lot of tech,and i've never heard anyone remark ODN was particularly bad at war.

[quote name='NationRuler' timestamp='1336065220' post='2962905']
That's great! But just so it's clear, nations that have 10k tech and empty slots are much different than nations with no tech having empty slots.

But that is a nice slot efficiency and you should be proud of it.
[/quote]

lol coasting on their present tech level as an excuse for complacency

Part of what sucks about being a selling majority is now I'm on dependent on other alliances sending money.fml

New Frontier is right. NPO is still a mass alliance even though it's strong for one. For instance around 60 or so people on the AA have no foreign ministry.

Edited by Roquentin

[quote name='Emperor Whimsical' timestamp='1336072737' post='2962946']
ODN consistly imports a lot of tech,and i've never heard anyone remark ODN was particularly bad at war.
[/quote]

Due to its member levels I wouldn't entirely consider ODN to be a mass-member alliance. It's something in between like NG, VE and others. Even though that distinction is entirely subjective.

[quote name='NationRuler' timestamp='1336075046' post='2962963']
I didn't say I liked it.
[/quote]

Right. I don't think you do.

Polar's impressive, but the issue is without the reps, will they able to keep it up? They've always had an issue with efficient tech buying.

Probably not Roq and tbh I have no clue if the bugs are ironed out in the CN numbers to even use them truthfully but it was fun to have a big number up :D

On a more serious note though as was said earlier by EgoFreaky, if we booted the inactive ones we'd no long be a mass alliance. I do think though there's a lot more to being a good member in any alliance than just slot usage! I know some of our worst offenders at nation building are great contributors to the alliance.

[quote name='Dajobo' timestamp='1336086473' post='2963112']
Probably not Roq and tbh I have no clue if the bugs are ironed out in the CN numbers to even use them truthfully but it was fun to have a big number up :D

On a more serious note though as was said earlier by EgoFreaky, if we booted the inactive ones we'd no long be a mass alliance. I do think though there's a lot more to being a good member in any alliance than just slot usage! I know some of our worst offenders at nation building are great contributors to the alliance.
[/quote]
GE GE GE....

It's not really about being great at nation building. It's just that the slots you don't use could be going to building up people or tech. Nation building is really easy and if you can't put in the 5 minutes like every two days or even less, you can have a solid nation and solid slot usage.