'Dead' Leaders' Society

Subtleknifewielder

[i]Above the Arctic Circle, somewhere on the Polar Ice Cap[/i]

The barking of Sled Dogs, the crack of the whip, the quiet howl of the wind receding after a storm. These were the only sounds to be heard across the barren, nearly lifeless ice-scape for miles in any direction. Aside from the occasional command to the dogs, that is.

Naturally, it was difficult to see the driver under the bundle of fur coats, though his form was easy enough to spot. The only color other than the white of the ice, or the blue of the sky, to be seen for hundreds of miles in any direction, as the furs were not white, rather any color [i]but[/i] that--red of foxes, grey of wolves, even the brown of a grizzly. Anthony was not interested in hiding, here. Who would he hide from? Who else was out here?

No one, as far as he knew. No one but the man he was trying to find, for reasons of his own.

Arctic silence is deafening.
Only when this silence is broken by passing wind does one realize just how desolate it really is. . .
One solitary figure trekked across this vast barren wasteland of white
A ragged bearded man totting a tattered cigar donning several polar bear skins over a generic paramilitary uniform of indeterminate rank trudged blindly
through whiteout
lacking destination or purpose
Wandering the tundra and frozen ice seas of alone
Free from society
One solitary figure
Enjoying the peace of uninhabited desolation
Until an unexpected disturbance from a meddling interloper. . .

Edited by Generalissimo

[font="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#5d5d5d"]Anthony nearly passed by the solitary figure. And by passed by, we mean run over. The dogs, however, were more observant than he, tumbling to a halt in a tangled heap of fur and limbs, yelping the entire time.[/color][/size][/font][font="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif"] [/font]
[font="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="2"]
[/size][/font][font="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#5d5d5d"]A lesser man would have cursed his luck, but not he, not the man who was once a masked statesman. No, he was not a man to lose his cool even in the midst of such a cool--nay, cold[/color][/size][/font][color="#5D5D5D"][font="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="2"]--no, freezing-- landscape. With infinite patience, he moved forward to disentangle the team. And by infinite patience, we of course mean a hurried pace. No cursing, but there was a glance behind him, where another storm seemed to be building.[/size][/font][/color]
[color="#5D5D5D"][font="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif"] [/font][/color]
[font="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#5d5d5d"]So it was no small wonder that even one as observant as himself did not immediately spot the roving, solitary, bearskin-clad individual.[/color][/size][/font]

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

More than a hundred thousand miles of frozen nothingness. . . and some moron still manages to knock him down with a dogsled.
Is this really such a small wasteland?
Sure winterized camouflaging might be concealing. . . but it’s was definitely that other guy’s fault.
Still. . . this arctic emptiness remains a place of peace.
Nothing to get worked up over. . .
Smooth like the freshest arctic ice
Calm like a leaf fluttering in the wind
Tranquil like water flowing across rocks
Screw it – go in guns blazing!
Drawing a pistol the bearded bearskin bearing man leveled his firearm at the sled driver’s head, “Please consider learning how to guide a dog team.”

Edited by Generalissimo

Anthony shook his head as he untangled, first, the lead dog. The appearance of the man with the gun startled him, but to look on him, you wouldn't know it. Instead, calmly, he turned to face the man who could only be the one he was trying to find. It had been a long shot, a one in a million chance, but it was from such things that history was made. And he'd had nothing, nothing at all to lose.

As he faced the gun-wielding, cigar-chomping, bearded bear-skinned man, he lowered his hood, displaying his grayed hair, and sharp, grey eyes. His lips curled up in a smile, or at least a semblance of one. "My apologies. Generalissimo, Generalissimo of Procinctia, I presume? We have a few things in common, if you'd care to discuss them."

Even as the howling wind began picking up again, he stared, apparently unafraid, directly down the barrel of the gun into the face of one of history's craziest, most paranoid, and yet at times, brilliant, leaders.

With the newcomer revealing his identity the gun-wielding, cigar-chomping, bearded bear-skinned man now indentified as Generalissimo (Gernalissimo of Procinctia) withdrew his firearm.

"[size="1"]Gernalissimo. . .
. . . generalissimo of Procinctia. . .[/size]
You’re talking to the man was once Procinctia’s generalissimo.
[b]Generalissimo of Nothing![/b]
Unless generalissimo of this snow patch counts for anything.
What of it?
Wait. . .”
As increasing winds kicked up snow between the two Generalissimo’s eyes flickered with faint recognition, “I know you. . .
You’re that kid.
What brings old Uberstein’s brat to my patch of snow?”

Edited by Generalissimo

The mention of his father prompted an indication of emotion, something which Generalissimo's entire previous monologue did not. Anthony grimaced, and sighed.

"Looking for you, actually," he said, the rising wind blowing snow up into his face and hair. "My own nation is gone, vanished into history, like you did some time ago."

He glanced up at the sky, where clouds were building on the horizon, looming dark and ever closer with each passing minute. "You wouldn't happen to have a place somewhere in or on this ice patch where we could take shelter from that, would you?" he asked, lifting a hand and casually pointing with a single finger toward the approaching storm.

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

Generalissimo merely raised an eyebrow at Anthony’s overt display of emotion, “Looking for me?
After clumsily running into this old man with your mutt team through incredibly amateur mushing I’m supposed to believe you were looking for me for the beginning?
It’s too coincidental for serious consideration.
I’ll humor you. . .
What does Uberstein’s kid need with someone like me?

One more thing. . . about surviving this storm. . .
There isn’t any shelter out here.
Kill enough polar bear to have fur to rough out storms or die – that’s how I’ve been surviving.
Ought to be enough fur on those sled dogs to make something to get you through the night alive.
Talking about multiple dogskin blankets here.
Maybe breakfast too.”

"I'm more than 'Uberstein's brat,' you know. You might remember me...from Australia." He glanced back at the storm, then back to Generalissimo.

"To be honest...I'm not sure why I came looking for you. Or at the very least, there are too many reasons to explain before that storm hits." As he talked, he unhooked the dogsled team, using some of the equipment on the sled to anchor it to the ground.

"Dogskin? They'd be warmer if we keep them alive for now, cuddling up to them. And we can use them to travel much more quickly. Once the storm abates, anyway."

He glanced at the old Procinctian leader, waiting to see if his logic made any impact on his thought processes. Likely as not, it probably wouldn't, but you never knew. The man was unpredictable.

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' timestamp='1334290669' post='2951832']"I'm more than 'Uberstein's brat,' you know. You might remember me...from Australia." He glanced back at the storm, then back to Generalissimo.[/quote] “You’re obviously not Theodore Jameson. . .
Australia. . . how many men do I know from Australia?
Are you the pseudo-anarchist non-government Mighty Wez whose tribe of post-apocalyptic bikers as undisputed rulers of what was left of the Australian wasteland?
Australia’s age of leather-clad-biker-nomads ended with the arrival of masked statesmen Australia’s age of leather-clad-biker-nomads ended with the arrival of masked statesmen Subtleknifewielder. . .. . .
Anthony Harlem didn’t was predominant until after Subtleknifewielder’s retirement. . .
I thus deduce you are the masked statesmen Subtleknifewielder!
Antonio von Uberstein right?“

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' timestamp='1334290669' post='2951832']"To be honest...I'm not sure why I came looking for you. Or at the very least, there are too many reasons to explain before that storm hits." [/quote]"Rode all the why out here without being sure why?
It runs in the family then.
You’ll have plenty of time to discuss it while the storm hits, when everyone’s huddling and trying not to freeze out."

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' timestamp='1334290669' post='2951832']""Dogskin? They'd be warmer if we keep them alive for now, cuddling up to them. And we can use them to travel much more quickly. Once the storm abates, anyway."[/quote]"Assuming the storm abides by weeks end, that happens your dogs are already dead.
Always consider the worst possibility.
Cuddle with your animals dog hugger!
Generalissimo was fine walking back. . . but will not decline your generous offer.?

Anthony raised his eyebrows and Generalissimo's roundabout reasoning leading him, however illogically the path, to the right conclusion. "If you believe that's who I am, you're welcome to call me that. And I was born to the Baron under that name, yes. But most people know me by Anthony Harlem."

"Yes, I would certainly be glad to have you accompany me when I leave. I'd explain during the storm, but I don't know if I would be able to speak loud enough for you to hear a thing." Already he had to raise his voice to near shouting levels to be heard over the howling wind. With hand signals, he indicated to the dogs that they should huddle together. They really were well-trained animals. "I'll kill them if and when I have to, not before. I brought plenty to eat before they need to be sacrificed. Until then, I welcome you to stay with me."

And then a particularly loud gust of wind drowned out anything else he might have wanted to say.

Procinctia’s bearded lone wanderer huddled down looking toward the incoming storm closing in from horizon’s edge beginning to cover himself with more polar bear skins.

In a brief lapse in the howling wind he addressed the other wayward statesman, “Don’t know if I should leave this place.
I’m not lost, don’t need a rescue, this generalissimo knows exactly where he is right now.
Even have both the means and skill to leave whenever I deem fit.
From the inhospitable Saint Paul devastation to the inhabitable northern desolation. . .
Wandering the tundra and frozen ice seas alone. . .
Not trading one wasteland for another. . .
I’m still here for a reason.
Care to guess why?”

Edited by Generalissimo

Anthony, in his turn, was grabbing more furs from the supplies stored on the sled. He also grabbed some food, meat, salted and preserved against spoilage, though they would obviously be unable to cook it. Donning the furs, he gave some of the meat to the dogs, then began munching on his share, offering a portion to Generalissimo as he listened to the man talk.

He shook his head at the question. "I wouldn't care to venture what would, as you say, be only a guess at the reasons you might still be here. Would you care to explain?" Depending on what the long-vanished leader told him, the man who had once been Subtleknifewielder might share a few things in return. He'd have to gauge how he thought Generalissimo might react, first.

Procinctia's onetime generalissimo Anthony’s offering graciously, finally something that wasn't fish or bear.
Explaining himself over uncooked preserved food, “Set out looking for someone.
Got myself shot down in Arctic waters, while searching for Queen Cybil who had vanished in Arctic waters.
I’m still out here looking for her.
Was planning to see this through.
Generalissimo is the mad dog who bites and never lets go. . .” finishing as temperatures began decreasing dramatically.

Shivering even in his furs, Anthony realized it was time, time to hunker down, time to ward off the coming chill. He gave a single whistle, and the dogs, knowing what to do, gathered around him. Together with the animals, he gathered into a huddle, wrapping a fur blanket not only around himself, but them. He'd come well prepared, that was for sure.

He silently contemplated Generalissimo's words as he chewed a bit of food himself. "Ah, yes, her." His words were muffled, and Generalissimo wouldn't be able to see his expression from under that pile of fur and dogs, but he sounded mildly saddened. "She was found some time after you vanished, of course. Unfortunately, no longer in any fit condition to rule a nation." Accompanying the sharp drop in temperature, the winds began picking up again. The two of them were fortunate to have what they needed to deal with the cold...

OOC: Whatever happened to her anyway? I don't remember for sure, but I seem to recall something about her being held captive by a group of pirates.