Community Input on Improving CNRP, GMs and such.

HK47

[quote name='Sarah Tintagyl' timestamp='1324345052' post='2882246']
I mean I think that for most people war and conflict are the easiest things to understand and write about. The key factor I think in this is finding subjects which are both interesting and can gain an audience. You only need to look at modern movies and books to see that war is one of those things that people enjoy reading and writing about, and for that matter, watching. I agree with you Sal, I think it would be cool to see economy RPed out. What I wouldn't want to see however, is this turn into Victoria II or Hearts of Iron, etc, however if someone would RP economic problems a la French Revolution, Great Depression and so forth I think would be really cool. So there are a lot of things to write about, aside from war, I think war is just the go-to thing. I apologize if I didn't mention other things in my post.

Now...if you were move into economic RPs, the global economy impacts a lot of people and it would have the same effect as with War in CNRP. People saying they're not effected by external changes to the economy, to ideologies, to culture. I personally do think economics would be hard to RP and am against it for complexity reasons. However, if you think it could work and explain how it could be implement, I'm all ears...er...eyes.
[/quote]

I was just saying that the idea that CNRP would be utopian with more consensual RP doesn't fly, not that you should RP economies.

[quote name='Tidy Bowl Man' timestamp='1324352923' post='2882331']
Good to know nothing has really changed from when I started role playing in 2002 to now.

Your inability to create a niche for yourself really isn't inspiring a whole lot of sympathy for your argument. If you can not roll with the big dogs, not get in their way when they line up for their turn on the food bowl. Find something else to do that works for you.

If everyone took your approach there would only be four Rpers left in CNRP.

Failure to adapt to the situation isn't really a problem of the community, it's yours.
[/quote]

Oh here I was thinking CNRP needed improvement when it was just me not being able to "create a niche." Silly me, I guess I should have never started this thread and replied to it 50 times.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since war seems to be the all important aspect of CNRP, i'll just write what i've noticed off the top of my head.

There is no trust, there is no mutual co-operation during unplanned, aka most wars done in CNRP. We dont want to write a 'good story' with the enemy (yes, the enemy). We want to win. The moment this desire crosses an RPer's mind, that's it. People on the forums have obtained some sort of convoluted instant-gratification entitlement complex, going both ways on defense, and more notably offense.

All this talk about changing rules and modifying the GM's role in CNRP will do nothing until people learn to realize that you don't need to win. Oh, you don't want to war? You want to go write internal RPs? Better make sure it won't be something others will want to intervene in.

A wise man once told me that in order to write internal RPs freely, your external RP must be totally closed, or secured. This has become the defacto rule in CNRP - whether you do it through whoring yourself to others, puffing yourself up to being the biggest and baddest, or posting once every 14 days. In CNRP, one must 'guard' themselves [i]against[/i] other RPers and the lulzbrigade, not 'make sure you are capable of writing the best story with someone else'.

I have read through a few of the posts and I haven't seen this request yet. If someone has requested it, then I am sorry.

I propose a page dedicated to.. well the "Rules" of CNRP. If there is a new rule added to the game, then it will only become a rule once it is on the "Rule" page. That way, everyone has access to the rules and we all know what they are.

[b]GMs[/b]

*I think the GMs should be democratically elected once every three months by a majority of the community
*I think a GM should [i]NOT[/i] be allowed to make rulings about a war that they are involved in

I'll add more input if I think of anything else. I'm happy to see this thread is up.

Edited by PresidentDavid

[quote name='PresidentDavid' timestamp='1324366026' post='2882464']
*I think the GMs should be democratically elected once every three months by a majority of the community
[/quote]

I doubt this would happen, given that GMs are personally appointed by the Mods to do their jobs, and this would not change until the Mods deem otherwise. But this is a thought, however.

[quote name='JEDCJT' timestamp='1324366789' post='2882468']
I doubt this would happen, given that GMs are personally appointed by the Mods to do their jobs, and this would not change until the Mods deem otherwise. But this is a thought, however.
[/quote]

Ah yeah I forgot about that. Well if we were found worthy to do so, I would be happy then :awesome:

I think the GM position as it is puts the GMs into bad situations. Voodoo already preached the merits of not crying to the GMs every time something doesn't go your way. By forcing them to make decisions for problems we are unwilling to solve we put them into the position of having to solve it.

There should be an intermediate step in the mix that demands the person demanding satisfaction for the terrible tragedy explain what they've done to resolve the issue.

Open up the themes?

I would like to see us move away from being so purely realistic in terms of our nations. It makes them all dull copies. Why not allow for themes other than real world? Wars could still be conducted based on statistics as long as soldier is still counted as a soldier for the results of warfare.. then who cares if one wields an M-16 and the other is an orc shaman that throws lightning bolts?

Would love nothing more than to replace my nukes with "Eye of God" spells from DND which are essentially the same thing in a magical format.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' timestamp='1324406710' post='2882664']
Open up the themes?

I would like to see us move away from being so purely realistic in terms of our nations. It makes them all dull copies. Why not allow for themes other than real world? Wars could still be conducted based on statistics as long as soldier is still counted as a soldier for the results of warfare.. then who cares if one wields an M-16 and the other is an orc shaman that throws lightning bolts?

Would love nothing more than to replace my nukes with "Eye of God" spells from DND which are essentially the same thing in a magical format.
[/quote]

We are still a nation simulator, not a fantasy book.

There are a wide variety of nations in our literature, not only the kind in the real world in the news. That said you can simulate a fantasy nation. Besides, the bulk of CNRP nations are nothing like real nations as it is. If this is to be a simulator of Earth nations, we have much work to do because we're not even close. Economy, resources have no meaning... wars happen upon a whim of social discord.. ignorance of fallout. These are just a few examples underscoring the already fantastic and inhuman nature of 'Bob'. If we based our RP upon reality in any way, we'd have to acknowledge all of our citizens would be dead many times over.. and that Bob were a cinder of red hot radioactivity.

I think it is time we put the delusion of realism aside and embraced more creative aspects of literature in order to allow the community to express itself and expand. Right now, it's stifled, dull, and will die. As long as we have a statistical grounding to base it all upon, there is no reason not to do so except to show favor to one particular style of writing.

HK47 asked our opinion of how this community needs to change, this is mine. And the existing rules.. since they may change, are irrelevant to this discussion outside of as a template to work with for they are currently subject to revision.

The focus of activity in CNRP drowns it out and kills it. I've suggested subforums in order to alleviate this problem in the past, but it's simply something that no one wishes to manage. People want to be able to find their most recent threads without having to dig through pages of material.

Additionally, subdividing CNRP into multiple world genres actually harms it by dividing the productive capability of the players and thinning out the rps and no one is willing to harm the core CNRP community. One world with one statistics based interaction standard and open themes is the solution.

It perfectly addresses the following problem:

[quote]
-Possibly removing or replacing some rulings to create a simpler model and allow more freedom.
[/quote]

You are correct that it doesn't address other issues that HK has proposed as issues. I've addressed those separately.

I didn't say it didn't address the problem. I said it wasn't appropriate. What's keeping you from starting a DnD like RP is, according to you, the drowning out of such an RP by CNRP. Forcing CNRPers to accept magic as part of their RP solves your problem but creates a worse problem: i.e. people are forced to accept your RP. And wasn't this about freedom?

They're not forced to accept anything, they co-exist. Freedom is about the tolerance of different forms of expression, not favoring one or the other. Right now, it's only the 'realist' form of expression which is tolerated (and that is using the term realist quite loosely).

Mael, there is no difference between making dragon-men and doing straight up orcs (someone did this a few years back). Write the story, but don't expect it to be recognized by everyone or have people recognize a dragon-man ruling a nation. To everyone else, he's a man who thinks he is a dragon. That is perfectly acceptable. It is similar to the time Lynneth created his AI for his character. He wrote it out, no one cared and no one ICly believed he was anything more than a man. As long as if character RP does not give any advantage to a character in non-character RP (super-reflexes, skin-of-steel, etc), no one cares.

Edited by Voodoo Nova

That would not be correct. The last time I tried to creating a nation of non-human species the result was that moderators shut it down. You can play a species on parity with humanity without giving them a statistical edge. There's a difference in playing something for style and diversity and playing it for an edge over your opponents that should not be present.

The lack of community recognition of each other's written works is also a slight problem. If we selectively ignore each other the community ceases to exist. It creates the ability of players to effectively destroy a nation of a player in the rp by simply ignoring them out of existence. I don't think I've ever ignored anyone's rp except for people who have tried to sink island chains as a form of WMD. (Personally, unless the rp is extremely absurd or destructive, I view this ignorance of diversity as a form of childish insecurity.)

People think that atypical nations are against the rules and as the rules are written they were and many people, such as Centurius will point this out in the old rules and go "Oh, you can't do that" ruining their fun.. and thus potential RP is destroyed. Then there's the shunning of such nations and the ooc motive based selective targeting of such nations for eradication as being seen as infringing upon the "normal rp setting".

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' timestamp='1324412299' post='2882734']
They're not forced to accept anything, they co-exist. Freedom is about the tolerance of different forms of expression, not favoring one or the other. Right now, it's only the 'realist' form of expression which is tolerated (and that is using the term realist quite loosely).
[/quote]

Then we're back to my original question: What's stopping you from starting your own RP with orc shamans and eyes of newt?

The last time I tried such when I first joined CNRP and had a nation of humanoid dragons with larger dragons constituting the airforce and wingless dragons constituting infantry and the larger ones tanks.... it was the moderators and the interpretation of the rules.

I was told it was unacceptable.. so I went to the story of nomad pirates who had been isolated to the Antarctic and were trying to settle into a home.