Invisible Hegemony

Unko Kalaikz

Recently the Mushroom Kingdom [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=93121&st=0"]canceled their treaties[/url] with most of their allies with the reason being that "the treaty web is a malady, sapping the lifeblood from this planet." Naturally this historical political move piqued my interest along with the inaccurate portrait painted of the "treaty web" and I decided to write a brief analysis on the matter if I found the time.

Before we discuss the meat of the issue let us more closely observe the manner in which the treaty cancellations were presented.

[quote]It's been a while, and I wasn't intending on doing this, so you'll have to forgive me for the lack of detail, eloquence, or whatever else you may be hoping for from this most monumental of announcements. So, let's get on with it, shall we?

As of earlier today, notice of cancellation has been served to every single treaty partner the Mushroom Kingdom hashad. I won't bother listing them all out, as the pieces of digital paper are more or less irrelevant now. There are two exceptions to this. Alchemy and Aloha. As you will see to some degree in what follows, this actually makes sense. But, quite simply, it'd be a cold move to abandon them. So don't mess.[/quote]

Notice the casual air of indifference that is presented, as if the cancellations were simply a minor affair that was discussed over a fifteen minute lunch break and then assigned to Archon to publish "on behalf of the Ruling Government." But let's continue:

[quote]The prevailing question seems to be - why? Not a bad question, actually. There are people in a far better position than myself to answer this question, I would say, so there isn't terribly much I'm going to be willing to say publicly.[/quote]

Quite understandable. If I was Archon I wouldn't be willing to discuss the PR motivations behind the cancellations either. But this aside let's continue to the most important part of the announcement...

[quote]the treaty web is a malady, sapping the lifeblood from this planet. It entraps and entangles. It prevents. And, most criminally of all, it dictates. It defines who your friends are. It defines who you respect and who you don't. It divides the world into poles and ties you to people you may not have consented to. [/quote]

This is a dramatic rendering of politics, although unfortunately not very accurate. From a materialist perspective we must analyze the state of affairs that our world is currently immersed in. Survival is the original and primary motive of the sane nation ruler, and to provide the opportunity of growth and freedom of potential is in the self interest of his nation.

[img]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080223131061/cybernations/images/1/17/FreedomCivilisation.jpg[/img]

As nations form an alliance and appoint a sovereign, they remove themselves from the state of nature and become more or less civilized, abiding by a constitution, laws, and/or the decisions of the sovereign. It is impossible to overstate the importance of these written codes of conduct. They provide a stable foundation for the security and prosperity of the alliance, allowing member nations as well as foreignors to know and comprehend what conduct is considered acceptable. With this basic legal framework established nations can plan for the long term knowing that their future is not subject to chaos.

Naturally as Order became the norm and the world as a whole moved further from the state of nature, written codes of conduct soon spread to treaties between alliances. From non-aggression or commercial pacts to joint military agreements, all nation rulers with a little research could discover exactly what conduct was stated as acceptable between various alliances along with intra-alliance laws, and with deeper inquiries could become familiar with the underlying power structure. Civilization had gone global.

The impact was enormous. The world slowly but surely organized into a profitable and relatively stable society of nations with a culture that respected law and legal custom. Inevitably Pacifica came to lead the world and elements of Francoist philosophy became mainstream "common sense," with breaches of conduct generating public condemnation.

However, even Pacificans are human, and mistakes were made by the Hegemony that allowed the enemies of Order to sway many rulers away from the established law-respecting culture and instead idealize chaos and primitivism. With a handful of abuses and the prosperous and stable state of affairs the philosophically chaotic alliances, lulzmeisters and defeated warmongers cunningly persuaded large swaths of the public to believe that stability is stagnation and prosperity is boredom, as I noted [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=92907&st=0"]in a recent essay.[/url]

During the Karma war a new Hegemony coalesced and is now lead primarily by Mushroom Kingdom; for the first time in world history a coalition that idealizes chaos and does not grasp nor endorse materialist analysis has risen on the backs of popular discontent. With many rulers noting the negative similarities between the current Hegemony and the old Order, the Shrooms are forced to placate their supporters demanding the absurd notion of a treaty free world or else lose the support of the forces of chaos.

The obvious solution to this growing PR problem is the elimination of their portion foreign legal framework, accomplishing several things. The most obvious gain from this move is the appearance of embracing chaos while in reality maintaining the equivalent of secret treaties; verbal agreements of defense that are not made public. Thus an invisible hegemony is maintained, deceiving many into believing that the power structure was dismantled and that the perceived "problem" has been addressed. For a while longer public opinion can be appeased and the leaking ship is temporarily plugged with rags.

There are other benefits as well. As MK's political power and influence slowly wanes it is to their benefit to disguise their power. If and when they finally force themselves into an untenable corner, at least their "friends" cannot cancel treaties leaving them looking weak. Even if they fight alone they have influenced others into believing they have made a noble and idealistic stand for chaos, rather than simply being another failed lulz alliance destined by history to failure.

With all this we can see how MK is simply another alliance promoting its' self interests of survival, and hardly part of a noble cause or the bringer of idealistic notions of "freedom." By deceiving the public it promotes its own security while leaving people confused about what the power structure really is.

It is all in all a [i]brilliant political move.[/i] :smug:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay first- Francoism never left Pacifica. Polaris even from the beginning was not completely Francoist and soon dropped it completely.

second- Karma was not the first time Pacifica lost. They lost to the CoaLUEtion in GPW(GWI). This coalition was headed by LUE, the ancestor to MK (meaning many of MK's members came from LUE).

Third- many of MK's former allies have publicly stated they will defend MK should anyone mess with MK.

Fourth- CnG and SF still exist and still have ties to one another. This means there is no need for this "invisible" hegemony you speak of.

Fifth- you do realize that MK is redoing their FA which means that sooner or later they will come out with more treaties.

:lol1: [i]Invisible Hegemony...No such thing. There is a Hegemony, you can see it, and I'm part of it. We all are. There's the side that prospers from the Hegemony, and then there's the side that watches as the Hegemonic side prospers.[/i]

[quote name='Dochartaigh' timestamp='1286510757' post='2478569']
Okay first- Francoism never left Pacifica. Polaris even from the beginning was not completely Francoist and soon dropped it completely. [/quote]

Francoism is not an entity that comes and goes, nor is it some boogeyman under your bed. It's simply a materialist analysis of the world.

[quote]second- Karma was not the first time Pacifica lost. They lost to the CoaLUEtion in GPW(GWI). This coalition was headed by LUE, the ancestor to MK (meaning many of MK's members came from LUE). [/quote]

The outcome of that war is disputed but as Pacifica's attackers were forced to declare white peace and withdraw I hardly see a defeat there.

[quote]Third- many of MK's former allies have publicly stated they will defend MK should anyone mess with MK.

Fourth- CnG and SF still exist and still have ties to one another. This means there is no need for this "invisible" hegemony you speak of.

Fifth- you do realize that MK is redoing their FA which means that sooner or later they will come out with more treaties.
[/quote]

Thank you for supporting my thesis that the cancellations were just a PR stunt.

MK is promoting its own security by cancelling every defensive treaty it owns.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

(if you're trying to emulate vladimir, you're doing pretty well so far. Try more obscure language because if people can make out your target quickly then you can't move it)

You're getting a bit predictable, I literally bet myself it was you when I opened this topic. Anyways, the fact that we aren't going paperless and will be signing treaties in the near-ish future will somehow also mask our "invisible hegemony" too? If we were trying to hide it, why would we even re-sign treaties in the first place? In fact, shame on me for even dignifying this flawed "theory" based on incorrect assumptions with a response.

[quote name='Matthew Conrad' timestamp='1286512063' post='2478597']
You're getting a bit predictable, I literally bet myself it was you when I opened this topic. Anyways, the fact that we aren't going paperless and will be signing treaties in the near-ish future will somehow also mask our "invisible hegemony" too? If we were trying to hide it, why would we even re-sign treaties in the first place? In fact, shame on me for even dignifying this flawed "theory" based on incorrect assumptions with a response.
[/quote]

So you admit that you will sign new treaties? Then why the histrionics by Archon about a strangling treaty web?

Well I suppose with my expose its just too obvious now, sorry for raining on your parade.

[quote name='Unko Kalaikz' timestamp='1286512339' post='2478602']
So you admit that you will sign new treaties? Then why the histrionics by Archon about a strangling treaty web?

Well I suppose with my expose its just too obvious now, sorry for raining on your parade.
[/quote]

We have literally repeated this dozens of times. This was a treaty reset so we can become more maneuverable, thus the reference to the treaty web. Honestly I don't know what I'm admitting to since we never even said we were going paperless in the long run.

[quote name='Matthew Conrad' timestamp='1286512570' post='2478607']
We have literally repeated this dozens of times. This was a treaty reset so we can become more maneuverable, thus the reference to the treaty web. Honestly I don't know what I'm admitting to since we never even said we were going paperless in the long run.
[/quote]

Have fun "sapping the lifeblood from the planet" :awesome:

[quote name='Unko Kalaikz' timestamp='1286511286' post='2478577']
Francoism is not an entity that comes and goes, nor is it some boogeyman under your bed. It's simply a materialist analysis of the world.[/quote]

never said it was. i said that Francoism never really moved outside of Pacifica as you have suggested.

[quote]The outcome of that war is disputed but as Pacifica's attackers were forced to declare white peace and withdraw I hardly see a defeat there.[/quote]

There is no dispute. Pacifica and Polaris lost. As a former long-time member of Polaris and a member that was around at that time, we got our asses handed to us. We may have had a shot of winning but once Legion/ODN stepped in, we got crushed. any chance after that of winning was essentially gone. We would never have been in a position to offer terms and the fact that peace with few terms was offered, and yes there was terms including Pacifica/Polaris admitting defeat, means little.

[quote]Thank you for supporting my thesis that the cancellations were just a PR stunt.
[/quote]

While i think the cancellations lack the meaning everyone seems to be associating with them, i do not think they are a PR stunt. I think the friendship that ties MK to those alliances is strong enough that treaty or not treaty they would defend one another.

as for supporting your thesis by proving your "invisible" hegemony portion wrong (it is the title), well i am entirely unsure what to say to that...

[quote name='Dochartaigh' timestamp='1286513087' post='2478616']
never said it was. i said that Francoism never really moved outside of Pacifica as you have suggested. [/quote]

I believe it has in more subtle ways than people imagine as outlined in the OP.

[quote]There is no dispute. Pacifica and Polaris lost. As a former long-time member of Polaris and a member that was around at that time, we got our asses handed to us. We may have had a shot of winning but once Legion/ODN stepped in, we got crushed. any chance after that of winning was essentially gone. We would never have been in a position to offer terms and the fact that peace with few terms was offered, and yes there was terms including Pacifica/Polaris admitting defeat, means little. [/quote]

There is a dispute but I won't argue the point as I wasn't around at the time.

[quote]While i think the cancellations lack the meaning everyone seems to be associating with them, i do not think they are a PR stunt. I think the friendship that ties MK to those alliances is strong enough that treaty or not treaty they would defend one another.

as for supporting your thesis by proving your "invisible" hegemony portion wrong (it is the title), well i am entirely unsure what to say to that...
[/quote]

The subtitle is about public relations, which is what I'm addressing in particular along with the power structure. The things you referenced about MK having effectively invisible allies or "friends" as they put it supported my theory that the cancellations were for public relations purposes.

[quote name='Unko Kalaikz' timestamp='1286513650' post='2478626']
I believe it has in more subtle ways than people imagine as outlined in the OP.[/quote]

in what subtle ways do tell.

[quote]There is a dispute but I won't argue the point as I wasn't around at the time.[/quote]

i know the dispute and it is total !@#$%^&*. had Pacifica and Polaris been able to continue the war and win, we would have done so. fact is, even if we had managed to pull that off, it would have been a pyrrhic victory as we would not have been capable of rebuilding nearly as quickly. We would have had to give the CoaLUEtion "white" peace essentially in order to end the war. thus, by what you are saying, that would have meant a defeat for Pacifica/Polaris.

[quote]The subtitle is about public relations, which is what I'm addressing in particular along with the power structure. The things you referenced about MK having effectively invisible allies or "friends" as they put it supported my theory that the cancellations were for public relations purposes.
[/quote]

so, you titled it the "invisible" hegemony with no real intention of defending the title? or since you can't really defend the title, you are now bent on defending this PR stance instead? even there, you are lacking since your stance seems as if MK did this solely for PR purposes, though you did write a bunch of other stuff including something about "security" and of course the "invisible" hegemony. then there is the fact that the much of your piece that discusses MK, discusses this "invisible" hegemony with only 2 sentences truly addressing this PR stance you are now taking, kind of shows that you were mostly writing about this new "invisible" hegemony and not about PR.

yes, your subtitle states PR, but it also states from a materialist perspective and no matter how much i or anyone else really dislikes MK, to state they are somehow materialists or in this world "stat whores", is well stupid.

You make an interesting assertion, one that based on the illustrations you proved does seem very sound. I question though whether you’re being fair to the topic or not. Cancelling their treaties was an RP effort that cannot be denied, but the mind set behind said action is debatable on all levels.

[quote name='Unko Kalaikz' timestamp='1286510302' post='2478559']
[i]Notice the casual air of indifference that is presented, as if the cancellations were simply a minor affair that was discussed over a fifteen minute lunch break and then assigned to Archon to publish "on behalf of the Ruling Government." But let's continue[/i][/quote]

Now I won’t argue that the tone is more than casual, however when you draw the illusion that Archon is acting as a public agent for the “Ruling Government” your moving into your first mistake. Yes, your thesis holds true if there is an unseen “Ruling Government”, however you do not provide any evidence that would support such a claim. Looking at the first part of Archon’s post,

[quote name='TheNeverender' timestamp='1286243374' post='2474955']
[i]It's been a while, and I wasn't intending on doing this, so you'll have to forgive me for the lack of detail, eloquence, or whatever else you may be hoping for from this most monumental of announcements. So, let's get on with it, shall we?[/i][/quote]

It seems that Archon had not intended to make a public spectacle of the cancellations; however he does acknowledge its severity and its impact. Drawing on the discussions that have taken place, this was a reset of treaties. So the nature of Archon’s tone is less of a puppet and strikingly similar to his posts on less relevant topics.

[i]Quite understandable. If I was Archon I wouldn't be willing to discuss the PR motivations behind the cancellations either. But this aside let's continue to the most important part of the announcement...[/i][/quote]

Again you draw a smokescreen that is not supported by facts. Not revealing the nature of the cancellations or the conditions is simply a token act toward their former/future allies. This isn’t something that is unnatural; the majority of alliances do not publicly discuss cancellations.

[i]This is a dramatic rendering of politics, although unfortunately not very accurate. From a materialist perspective we must analyze the state of affairs that our world is currently immersed in. Survival is the original and primary motive of the sane nation ruler, and to provide the opportunity of growth and freedom of potential is in the self interest of his nation.[/i][/quote]

This is where your thesis unravels; many nation leaders have more goals than simply survival. The alliance that is the Mushroom Kingdom was counterproductive to the survival of its founding members. The Mushroom Kingdom took part in the No-CB war which was also counter to its survival. The alliance of “Vox Populi” is a testament to nations acting counter to self survival.

As you draw on the fear of a world Hegemony and by taking Archon’s announcement piece by piece you are able to chain the arguments and the individual interpretation of each piece together in order to chain your points into being plausible, by moving slowly away from the facts at hand until your final thesis is plausible. The chaining of arguments is broken when the statement is analyzed as whole or even in the same context, and unless you can offer valid proof of each your postulates, your thesis fails to maintain it’s self.

Edit:
Quotes added

Edited by Muddog

At first I wondered if it was a joke, but judging from the responses it seems you actually believe this. I love it how you've knit-picked parts of Archon's announcement up too. He wrote it on-the-fly in a few minutes while sick. But don't let it stop you drawing broad conclusions from it!

[quote name='Unko Kalaikz' timestamp='1286511286' post='2478577']
The outcome of that war is disputed but as Pacifica's attackers were forced to declare white peace and withdraw I hardly see a defeat there.[/quote]
I seem to remember that LUE and friends edited and redrafted Moldavi's OWF statements during the talks. Not the act of a 'victorious' party ;)

As nations form an alliance and appoint a sovereign, [/quote]

"Appoint a sovereign?" Nay, they are not appointing a sovereign, they are making a delegation of their sovereignty, which preëxists the alliance structure and grants it legitimacy.

[quote]they remove themselves from the state of nature and become more or less civilized, [/quote]

Alliances dont civilise nations. Civilised nations build civilised alliances, or at least they may hope to.

Now after that rocky start, you actually made sense for a bit, and for that I commend you, but then:

[quote]However, even Pacificans are human, and mistakes were made by the Hegemony that allowed the enemies of Order to sway many rulers away from the established law-respecting culture and instead idealize chaos and primitivism. [/quote]

"Human?" Implying that anyone that wouldnt commit atrocities if they had the power to do so is not human is a bit much, really. And I assure you, not everyone outside your precious walls idealises "chaos and primitivism." Such ignorant, and arrogant proclamations really just prove how completely out of touch you are.

Your own period of uncontested hegemony proved quite vividly that Order, in and of itself, is insufficient qualification to be considered civilised.