A the Mountains of Methrage

Heinlander

Bootcrash over the hardpack snowdifts; the columns are broken, and platoon discipline has devolved into near savagery. The Grieftopian soldier tears across up the glacier's face, pace unhindered by the terrain's uncertainty. The blizzard is so heavy that the middle distance is a bleary haze, and beyond it, a treacherous oblivion. The weight of his gear drags him deeper into the snow, but he charges on. He can no longer see his comrades, but he can hear the thunder of their rifles.

He is cold; his homeland is a contradiction to this terrible foreign land. A flat, hot desert in western continent. It conjures memories of treelike cacti erect amidst dried lakebeds; of blueish lightning blasting through hot summer skies at night; he remembers chasing frilled lizards across the salt pans with his friends. Some of them are with him now; some are already dead, freezing and half-buried in the driving storm, their blood being slowly deleted from the immaculate canvas.

A dark shape fades into vision from behind the curtain of winter. Its onset is so random that the soldier takes it for a mirage. There's the sharp CRACK of small arms fire and a 5.6mm bullet slings past his right arm, and suddenly he sees the phantom with pure clarity. Cloaked in winter gear, he can barely reconcile his enemy with human form. He is entombed by scarves and wool and his face is masked by a black balaclava and goggles. He is without rifle but carries strips of rifle ammunition protected in leather pouches. He would have lost his weapon hours earlier in a fierce melee, and now had only his sidearm to fall back on.

For a few long, deafening seconds, muzzle flashes cut through the stormfront, tongues of fire and thunder leaping in the point blank space between. The Goon soldier bites his tongue as a round pierces his right calf and he crumples to one knee, but not catching the doghead soldier in the jaw with his own. An arc of blood jumps from the hole that used to be his face and he falls back into the ice and snow, the pooling redness already thickening into frozen slick.

He kneels for a few moments, breath ragged, pain racing from his sciatic nerve through his spine and blooming inside his head. He's been trained in battlefield medicine. He winces as he fingers around the wound and feels where the lead wad tore free, missing bone and artery. He can barely stand, does so, and limps onward up the side of the glacier. How many had this been? 5? 10? A baker's dozen? The whole nation is a fortress walled by snowcast mountains clawing up from the seaside like the bones of the earth, entrenched all over with its fanatical garrison. Their countrymen had crossed land and sea to attack Grieftopia's allies, and now that their own landing craft were cradled into the winding berth of the northland's fjords, those scars carved into the nation's bones when the world was made; a land whose creation was an act of violence.

He traverses the glacier and reaches its summit, and there looks down at the valley below, into a sea of killing. Bodies shot through, grenaded, impaled by bayonet; tanks upturned, smoldering in blackened ruin like huge elephants hunted down and executed. Limbs scattered helter-skelter and everywhere streams of scarlet flow downhill, collecting in the valley basin, and leading out to sea.

The Grieftopian looks over the carnage like a prophet. The dead of his enemy far outnumber those of his brothers. Already ensigns adorned with the black grenade fly over the snowfield and those with the baroque Libertarian sigil are piled and lit into bonfires. Its a rout; the enemy is driven before them, killed and sent in full retreat further inland, towards new forts and new killing grounds. This frozen cocytus sealing in its depths liars and thieves and cowards, who pledge their fealty to lords of greater depravity than their own, and they to greater still, until there exists in hell's frozen heart a mad king static in an icy sea of his own device.

For this they have come, to do with savagery and with firearms and with long knives and bayonets what reason could not. For each man to be a sea spay of blood in the ocean of this world's killing.

[quote name='Haquertal' timestamp='1283652063' post='2442006']
This is the most beautiful story I've ever read, and you reply to it like this?
[/quote]

I have to agree with this fine scholar. The OP's writing is a treat in and off itself. I could give a damn about the message. It is simply intoxicating for a basement dwelling nation leader like me.

Please keep these coming.

Also, I still hate the GOONS, so don't you start getting any ideas. :)

[quote name='Methrage' timestamp='1283704641' post='2442683']

Here is how my wars are going, I've managed to get the NS advantage on all my opponents and beating them nicely.
[/quote]

This is the thanks you give to Corinan for the secret aid? You know damn well that the only reason you grew any is help from others. Oh, wait...yeah, you didn't appreciate TOP buying your freedom from us the first time, so why should you give credit to anyone else? Yes, you're right...it's all you. You're such a good fighter, Methrage. :rolleyes:

[quote name='nippy' timestamp='1283706124' post='2442718']
This is the thanks you give to Corinan for the secret aid? You know damn well that the only reason you grew any is help from others. Oh, wait...yeah, you didn't appreciate TOP buying your freedom from us the first time, so why should you give credit to anyone else? Yes, you're right...it's all you. You're such a good fighter, Methrage. :rolleyes:
[/quote]
How do you know what I appreciate and don't appreciate? I've told both I appreciate what they've done in private. GOONS are mainly just horrible fighters, but nice try deflecting attention from that with irrelevant ramblings.

[quote name='Methrage' timestamp='1283706647' post='2442735']
How do you know what I appreciate and don't appreciate? I've told both I appreciate what they've done in private. GOONS are mainly just horrible fighters, but nice try deflecting attention from that with irrelevant ramblings.
[/quote]

I just explained it. If you had any grasp of reality, you'd realize that you take credit for others helping you. I don't expect you to see this or acknowledge it, however...you're stuck in your own little world of cheesecake-flavored skies and candy-coated people. You see that little speck in the sky? That's the rest of us. Come home, Methrage. We've missed you.

[quote name='nippy' timestamp='1283708017' post='2442773']
I just explained it. If you had any grasp of reality, you'd realize that you take credit for others helping you. I don't expect you to see this or acknowledge it, however...you're stuck in your own little world of cheesecake-flavored skies and candy-coated people. You see that little speck in the sky? That's the rest of us. Come home, Methrage. We've missed you.
[/quote]
You want a detailed report on want I spent the aid I got from Corninan on? You're the one losing grasp of reality if you think its any of your business.

[quote name='Methrage' timestamp='1283711137' post='2442819']
You want a detailed report on want I spent the aid I got from Corninan on? You're the one losing grasp of reality if you think its any of your business.
[/quote]

You already gave a detailed report in another thread, when you were accused of spending it on nukes and claimed to have spent it on infra and tech instead. See, it's nice to be able to follow several conversations at once...it gives oneself a feeling of smugness when some idiot claims they did one thing in one location and then they claim they did something else in another.

You're not responsible for your growth...period.

[quote name='Biazt' timestamp='1283719252' post='2442938']
Tell us more about how you failed GAs with a full wonder set.
[/quote]
Tell me more about how I've won nearly every GA and aircraft battle, while maintaining air surpremecy as I'm fighting 6 nations by myself. You can only deploy once a day and you have 6 nations to send GAs on, you're going to need to attack with low odds on some as your deployed army shrinks if you want to hit them all. Apparently you know almost nothing about the war system if your getting excited that a few GAs failed when most of them succedded and overall I'm winning all six wars.

Edited by Methrage

[quote name='nippy' timestamp='1284012604' post='2447432']
It's funny how the facts state otherwise. Oh, well...you've never been one to accept reality. ^_^
[/quote]
The nations I was fighting got a boost when all their aid slots got filled with money, tech and soldiers. I'm still doing alright though and won 4 GAs today at least.

[quote name='Methrage' timestamp='1284012813' post='2447434']
The nations I was fighting got a boost when all their aid slots got filled with money, tech and soldiers. I'm still doing alright though and won 4 GAs today at least.
[/quote]

We've seen your warchest. No, you aren't.

[quote name='ChairmanHal' timestamp='1284038170' post='2447586']
Oh so it's science-fiction! See it wasn't clear from the title. Makes all the difference. Thanks, nice read.
[/quote]If you knew the exact work the title makes reference to it would be far more amusing.

Edited by Heinlander

[quote name='Heinlander' timestamp='1284046801' post='2447686']
If you knew the exact work the title makes reference to it would be far more amusing.
[/quote]

Aside from your name, it didn't take very long using Google to figure out the title of the thread should actually be, "At the Mountains of Methrage", and yes, very amusing.

Hastur, Hastur, Hastur! See, nothing hap

[quote name='CEverettKoop' timestamp='1284012926' post='2447436']
We've seen your warchest. No, you aren't.
[/quote]
[quote]To: Tacos Rule From: Methrage Date: 9/10/2010 12:23:57 AM

Subject: Battle Report

Message: You have been attacked by Methrage. You lost 299 soldiers and 169 tanks. You killed 200 soldiers and 0 tanks. Their forces razed 25.512 miles of your land, stole 4.456 technology, and destroyed 20.211 infrastructure. Their forces looted $487,749.65 from you and you gained $0.00 in your enemy's abandoned equipment. In the end the battle was a Defeat. Any existing peace offers that were on the table have been automatically canceled. [/quote]

I'm still bringing in enough money to pay the bills, launch cruise missiles and maintain air supremacy despite having no warchest when our war started and just coming out of a war with VE. So I consider it I'm doing alright.