The Fading Zenith

[center][i]"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end." [/i]

[IMG]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff120/duncanking/Propaganda/fadingzenith.png[/IMG][/center]

This proverb, originally by the philosopher Seneca and adapted by the band Semisonic into their song "Closing Time," means that times of adversity can lead to times of new opportunities. Over the last several months, Zenith was in one of these periods of adversity. Our members were falling into inactivity and deletion and our alliance's ability to conduct itself as an alliance was severely compromised. Many of us came to fear for our ability to function as an alliance.

Almost a month ago ago, one of our members started a discussion on the topic of whether the alliance should consider other options like disbanding, merging, or annexing another alliance. During the course of the discussion, the prospect of merging with another alliance was the one that gained the most traction. We considered possible outcomes and the proposal of merging with our allies in The Foreign Division was the one that came out ahead. Zenith and The Foreign Division have been friends for a very long time and have a similar ethos and way of doing things. We believed that the culture and methods of Zenith would merge the best with the culture and methods of The Foreign Division. After talking to The Foreign Division, we were able to develop a merging proposal that would be acceptable to both parties. A vote was held in the Zenith Assembly and the vote passed.

Five days ago, Zenith members began moving to their new homes. It, therefore, falls to me to announce that effective May 19, 2010, Zenith no longer exists as a sovereign alliance.

The terms of our merger were as such:

- TFD's forums, charter, and flag remain unchanged
- Zenith's treaties are carried over at the level of an ODP provided the other treaty partner agrees. After 30 days, the treaties will receive a mandatory review and both parties will discuss either upgrading, keeping them at the same level, or canceling them all together
- Zenith members are able to join as full members and have the 3 month probationary period before they can enter government waived
- 3 of Zenith's government members receive Senate Advisor positions until TFD's next election in July 2010
- The Zenith AA remains under the protection of TFD for 30 days.

I would like to thank all of you for making this world such a great place for Zenith. Whether you were a friend, an ally, or an enemy, you made our experience interesting and your support (and derision) kept us going far long than we should have. Unfortunately, things got to the point where we could not ignore the internal troubles in our alliance because our inactivity was affecting our ability to continue to function as an alliance and fulfill our commitments to our allies. We believed that not living up to our commitments to our allies was a fate worse than death and we wanted to prevent that fate from happening to us. What we decided to do had no way at all to do with anything anyone else said or did, it was because of our own internal issues. Nothing anyone not in Zenith could have said or done would have prevented this from happening.

And so, it is time for Zenith to say good bye. To our friends, I would like to say thank you for being there for us. To our enemies, I would like to thank you for making our lives interesting.

You stay sexy, Cyber Nations and we'll see you on the flip side.

Edit: fixed obvious typo.

Edited by Duncan King

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still sad to see, DK even if you said it's not really.

We had some rocky times together, and when you saw us repeating your history, you were there for us to help us avoid some of the pitfalls. Zenith and Olympus were way different in many areas, but we were very close in others and I have been proud to call you Ally.

o/ DK. You made it a heck of a ride.
o/ Zenithians. I hope the next chapter leads to only good things.

Just...wow. This makes me sad. I'm glad you've found a new home in TFD, but Zenith was doing it right from day one and I'm sorry the inactivity plagues struck your alliance. Duncan King is top notch and an admirable leader. Good luck to all of you.

Zenith, expressing the honour that was having you as allies only falls short before the honour of having you in TFD. This announcement makes me incredibly sad and incredibly happy. Sad that you, one of our best allies, came to and end, happy that you chose to walk the rest of the road with us.

[quote name='nippy' date='22 May 2010 - 03:42 AM' timestamp='1274496109' post='2307576']
Glad to see this. TFD has always been more salvageable than Zenith, and now Kzoppistan has somewhere he can actually flourish. Good job.
[/quote]

Kzoppi and A-U-T, less-than-three in T-F-D

:wub:

[quote name='Duncan King' date='21 May 2010 - 10:31 PM' timestamp='1274495478' post='2307555']
- 3 of Zenith's government members receive Senate TFD's next election in July 2010
[/quote]
CN Wiki isn't working for me right now, so I may be incorrect on this, but I am under the impression that TFD only has five senator positions. Am I incorrect in my understanding, or does this give you an automatic majority in the TFD Senate beginning in two months?

Also, will these positions be elected by TFD+Zenith members, or have they already been decided?

[quote name='Gopherbashi' date='21 May 2010 - 09:55 PM' timestamp='1274496907' post='2307594']
CN Wiki isn't working for me right now, so I may be incorrect on this, but I am under the impression that TFD only has five senator positions. Am I incorrect in my understanding, or does this give you an automatic majority in the TFD Senate beginning in two months?

Also, will these positions be elected by TFD+Zenith members, or have they already been decided?
[/quote]
LOL. Thanks for catching an obvious typo. It should say

[quote]- 3 of Zenith's government members receive Senate Advisor positions until TFD's next election in July 2010[/quote]

Zenith only had 3 active government members at the end, so we know who they are.

The whole of Olympus is very sad to see Zenith as an entity fade away. It has been a great run for you guys with many ups and downs, and we're thankful for your friendship. Best of luck to all former Zenith members in your new homes.

One more time...

O/ ZENITH

[quote name='The AUT' date='22 May 2010 - 04:52 AM' timestamp='1274496708' post='2307587']
Kzoppi and A-U-T, less-than-three in T-F-D

:wub:
[/quote]

Consolidated efforts....oh god.

I've somewhat turned Kzopp into my favor...I'm hoping he convinces you I'm not that bad, eventually. :D

I am very sad to see this. DK and crew we didn't always see eye to eye on things, but I couldn't have asked for greater friends and allies. You all be safe in your travels and I wish you all well. Olympus is sad to see the pinnacle alliance close her doors, but look forward to its former members future.

For the last time:
o/ Zenith