Don't Panic #34

[center][img]http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/logocg9ez4.png[/img]
[img]http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/3741/statsapril1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2201/statsapril2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/8352/statsapril3.jpg[/img][/center]

It’s been about a month since the bulk of the latest global war finished. There’s still an unresolved matter that has kept the popcorn vendors well employed. Perhaps because we are now headed into a long peaceful time where everyone rebuilds for the next global war, competitions are being created in an attempt to keep activity levels up. It seems the MHA will also be a part to this but you’ll have to come visit our board to participate. Want to find out what? Read on.

Scytale
Editor in Chief (Again? What happened? Did I miss a meeting?)

[center][color=#4080FF] [b][size="7"] Elections[/size][/b] [/color]
[color=#8000FF][b][size="5"]Triumvir Elections[/size][/b][/color][/center]
[i]By: Long Time Anonymous Editor[/i]

This month’s Triumvir elections were some of the fiercest and best we have seen in ages! It all started with the nominations of Dynasty, Yankeefan2, and Scutterbug for the position; our Minister of Bad Poetry, our Minister of Babel Fish, and a former Triumvir, respectively. The campaigns were fierce, and long, and the elections got even more attention then they usually do. Myriads of people were unsure who to vote for, saying they were all such great candidates. Questions regarding the Grämlins and pie were brought up, and campaign sigs were rampant. In the end, after the hundreds of votes were cast, Dynasty proved victorious, winning by a mere margin of 20 votes. Congratulations!

[center][color=#8000FF][b][size="5"]Ministry Changes[/size][/b][/color][/center]
[i]By: Pourquoi[/i]

With Dynasty's election victory, the MoBP was left temporarily vacant, as was the Ministry of Towels when nath1194 sadly chose to step down. Dynasty's addition to the Triumvirate makes the 2nd MoBP to become Triumvir in as many elections.

We are glad to announce, that since the last edition, unpronounced has been promoted to Minister of Hitchhikers, and I, Pourquoi, was promoted to Deputy MoH. Former Triumvir Jadoo1989 has stepped into the breach in the MoT with a proactive management style, and he's already making the place more organised. And finally, our 3rd Ministerial appointment comes with priya91 being promoted to Minister of Bad Poetry and wasting no time in appointing Cormalek as Deputy.

So, many, many changes since the last edition mean that the current MHA government looks like this:

[color=#FF0000]Triumvirate: pudge1975, majorddf, Dynasty[/color]

[color=#4000FF]Minister of Hitchhikers (Members): unpronounced
Deputy: Pourquoi[/color]
[color=#40FF00]Minister of Towels (Economy): Jadoo1989
Deputy: kippa tarxien[/color]
[color=#FFBF00]Minister of BabelFish (Diplomacy): Yankeefan2
Deputy: NuTkaSe[/color]
[color=#8000FF]Minister of Bad Poetry (Communications): priya91
Deputy: Cormalek[/color]
[color=#FFFF00]Minister of Destructor Fleets (War): Cable77
Deputy: VACANT[/color]

[color=#40FFFF]Speaker of the HHA: Bojangles
Legislator of the HHA: AndyDe[/color]

[color=#FFFFFF]Court Officers:
El Presidente
Lawfarm
Johnson[/color]

[center][color=#4080FF] [b][size="7"] Within the Alliance[/size][/b] [/color][/center]

[color=#8000FF] [size="5"][b][center]FIFA 2010 contest with prizes[/center][/b][/size][/color]
[i]By: Scytale[/i]

Our Minister of Hitchhikers has started a competition surrounding the outcome of FIFA 2010. The winner will receive a prize. All with CN nations are welcomed to participate.

Link to thread on MHA board
http://www.mostlyharmlessalliance.com/viewtopic.php?f=166&t=10766

[center][color=#4080FF] [b][size="7"] Around the CN World[/size][/b] [/color][/center]
[color=#8000FF] [size="5"][b][center]The Grämlins Restaurant at The end of Cyberverse[/center][/b][/size][/color]
[i]By: Cor Malek[/i]

We realize that while many of you would like to get some insight in recent Grämlins v Rest of CN debate, [url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showforum=71]it is a bit lenghty[/url] - 118 pages (and counting). Thankfully, there's a relevant metaphor for everything. And while this example is yet to happen - no sooner than at [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Places_in_The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy#Milliways]The End of Cyberverse[/url], it captures the clu of this discussion.

In a crowded restaurant, we see a man with kippah, arguing about something with waiter. The man is clearly frustrated, while maître d' is puffing a pipe, and seems quite undisturbed. "Our customers paid up-front" was the restaurant's motto.
- Dude, I can't eat pork.
- No, it's OK - it's vegetarian.
- Vegetarian Pork Chops?
- No, no. That would be absurd! We call it Metabolized Pasture Chops. It's 100% vegetarian.
- But it's part of a swine. It's flesh of a hog. It is [b]pork[/b].
- But it started out as a Pasture, you see. It's not our fault that a swine got in the way. It is still in all respects a pasture, just a bit... reconfigured, that's all.
- Just drop it, will you? Look, I'm hungry, and I'm not searching for another restaurant. Do you have anything kosher or not?
- Well of course we do! Would you like our Special Surprise Dish of the day? Our chef really outdid himself this time.
- Hm, OK what's in'nit?
- Well I can't tell you, can I? Wouldn't be much of a surprise.
- But what if it's not kosher? Or if I'm allergic?
- Oh I'd never give you something that's not kosher or all...
- But you just DID! You tried to feed me pork!
- Sir I'd appreciate if you didn't shout? And no, I didn't - I served you our Afterpork Special.
- Vegetarian Pork Cho...
(...)

and so on for another 90+pages, and other 3 threads...

[color=#8000FF] [size="5"][b][center]CN-Facebook Contest[/center][/b][/size][/color]
[i]By: Scytale[/i]

CN Admin has put out a contest. The alliance with the most facebook “like” by the end of May wins the right to submit three custom flags. Even if the alliance does not need the flag, they could get bragging rights. Besides, if this attention brings in more player to CN, all the better.

May the best "liked" alliance win!

[center][color=#4080FF] [b][size="7"] Just for Fun[/size][/b] [/color][/center]

[center][color=#8000FF] [b][size="5"]The (Sub)Editor's Drinking...[/size][/b] [/color][/center]
[i]By: Pourquoi[/i]

The weather may be picking up on the whole here in Lovely Liverpool, but the nights are still pretty cold, which is probably the main driving factor behind what I've been drinking this week:

Lime Vodka Tonic. Oh yes, not your regular 'Vodka Tonic', no, I'm drinking 'Lime Vodka' with that beautiful elixir, that is, tonic.

Lime Vodka Tonic Ingredients:
25-50ml Lime Vodka
150ml Schweppes Tonic Water
Ice
Lime wedge (optional)

My adoration of tonic stems from being a huge Gin and Tonic fan, as regular readers may be aware of - provided they're not as drunk as I am when they read these editions.

Anyhoo, back to the vodka, or more precisely 'Lime' vodka, or even more precisely still - in fact, as precisely as I can be without going into particle physics - 'Smirnoff Premium Lime made with Triple Distilled Vodka'.

So what's the difference between lime vodka and the regular stuff? Well, the 'lime' gives a good clue in that regard. On the whole it's just your usual middish priced vodka, but with a tangy lime taste, almost like a sour drop or gumdrop.

But what's it like with the tonic? Well, easier to consume for one thing. The harshness eradicated, one is left with a cool, fizzy, lime flavoured drink - similar in many ways to limeade - except it has the added bonus of being alcoholic! Another nice feature is how the slight sweetness and sourness from the lime combine, it really is like drinking a liquid form of confectionery than drinking alcohol - the joys of the alcopop generation eh?

So far as preparation's concerned, this isn't a particularly difficult drink to make; just make sure there's plenty of ice. A lime wedge makes for an extra citrusy drink, and also gives a sort of authenticity to the drink. Whilst the vodka clearly tastes of lime I have to admit that one could get a more genuine taste by simply juicing a lime and throwing it in with a shot of vodka for similar, if not better effect. Also, where there's tonic you're bound to get me shouting 'Schweppes!' from the rooftops - This is partly because I have very little else to do on Tuesday evenings, but also because Schweppes is easily the nicest tonic I've ever drank. That said, the 'intricacies' of this drink are not nearly as profound as with a Gin & Tonic, so *if* you happen to aquire a bottle of 'other' tonic, then please feel free to use it and save the Schweppes for the gin.

So yeah, in conclusion, not a drink I'm as fond of as some of the others I've written about, but still worth a go. Regular vodka tonic drinkers are probably better off juicing a lime, but for those of you wanting something different (and with approx £13 burning a hole in your pocket) then this is definitely worth a go. Not much of a drink beyond the first glass novelty, but still a nice drink of a cold evening or for a warm day when naught but tonic graces your kitchen cupboards.

Cheers

[center][color=#8000FF] [b][size="5"] Vogon Poetry [/size][/b] [/color][/center]
[i]By: Dynasty[/i]

Axiomatic attenuate attrition assiduously accommodates aphonic atavism actively alternating arcane abnegations ambiguously. Bilious besotted bellicose bulwarks bromide balefully bombarding tigers trapping tragicomic malfunctions maliciously producing ulcerating comportment capriciously. Ubiquitous virulently taciturn tocsin torpor temerity tenuous senescence salient simulating steady strategic strides saving samurai. Parlous parley parsimony pejorative portend pithy perforce piquantly proselytizing praetorians pecuniary paroxysm petulantly palpable panoply paradigm picayune pugnaciously. Vibrant moles miniscule massively major malls making mapping multi-pollarded maneuvers manageable. Marbles pulsate peels particularly peculiarly pacifying pacifists pardoning plausible pauses painting pretty pictures paling partly particles. Aimless antiques ambiguously amplify ample ambles arguing slimy cheese knots quartering icky impasses individually imposing empty tractors training tactical strawberries stacking peanuts fortifying yams telecommunicating with opossums pacing horrifically soluble sandwiches. Eastwardly winding wings wind wimpy west waking worrisome whales watering walls whamming whammies wildly whimsically paradoxingly pushing popular penguins new to limbo.

[center][color=#4080FF] [b][size="7"] Closing[/size][/b] [/color][/center]
So we’ve come to another close of this edition of the Don’t Panic. Due to our writers' (lack of) spelling skills, we got a volunteer to check our spelling for us. Good luck Doc and don’t let your eyes bleed when you get to the Vogon Poetry.

Scytale

[color=#8000FF] [b][size="5"] Staff Listing[/size][/b] [/color]
Pourquoi, Sub-Editor and Writer, the newly appointed deputy minister of hitchhikers
Scytale, Editor in Chief and Writer, the newly appointed captain of first fleet
Dynasty, Editor and Vogon Poet, the newly elected triumvir
Cormalek, Writer, the newly appointed deputy minister of bad poetry
Doctor Octagonapus, Editor and Proofreader, the only member of the staff without a recent promotion

[quote name='rapmanej' date='07 May 2010 - 11:52 PM' timestamp='1273269151' post='2290656']
so, what is the status of Harmlins?
[/quote]

I'm glad you asked. The Härmlins will be able to read the full, internal version on our board.

[size=1]Because that's what you're asking, right? Seeing how it is in Don't Panic! thread? [/size]

[quote name='Queen Hoopdy the 1st' date='07 May 2010 - 07:42 PM' timestamp='1273275718' post='2290781']
No wine reviews? I frown upon this grievous oversight!
[/quote]

Good season for vin gris and seafood off the grill, maybe a vinho verde depending on the seasoning.

[quote name='Lord Fingolfin' date='07 May 2010 - 06:41 PM' timestamp='1273282891' post='2290884']
With the defeat of Scutterbug, it appears that the Anti-Gramlins forces have been defeated, and officials favorable to Gramlins stay in power. I could be wrong, I'm not familiar with Dynasty, but if that is the case, this is rather sad to see. Good luck to MHA
[/quote]

You could be very wrong indeed. Scutterbug is alive and well at MHA as are the anti Ramirus hitchhikers. Honestly Ram didn't figure much into this election. :rolleyes:

Agreed with MB. And I think this election was such a furious one because there were three such excellent and well qualified candidates. Congrats Dynasty on Winning!

Great issue as always guys. Kudos to the DP Staff!

[quote name='scytale' date='07 May 2010 - 05:27 PM' timestamp='1273267647' post='2290629']
[center][color=#4080FF] [b][size="7"] Around the CN World[/size][/b] [/color][/center]
[color=#8000FF] [size="5"][b][center]The Grämlins Restaurant at The end of Cyberverse[/center][/b][/size][/color]
[i]By: Cor Malek[/i]

We realize that while many of you would like to get some insight in recent Grämlins v Rest of CN debate, [url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showforum=71]it is a bit lenghty[/url] - 118 pages (and counting). Thankfully, there's a relevant metaphor for everything. And while this example is yet to happen - no sooner than at [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Places_in_The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy#Milliways]The End of Cyberverse[/url], it captures the clu of this discussion.

In a crowded restaurant, we see a man with kippah, arguing about something with waiter. The man is clearly frustrated, while maître d' is puffing a pipe, and seems quite undisturbed. "Our customers paid up-front" was the restaurant's motto.
- Vegetarian Pork Chops?
- No, no. That would be absurd! We call it Metabolized Pasture Chops. It's 100% vegetarian.
- But it's part of a swine. It's flesh of a hog. It is [b]pork[/b].
- But it started out as a Pasture, you see. It's not our fault that a swine got in the way. It is still in all respects a pasture, just a bit... reconfigured, that's all.
- Just drop it, will you? Look, I'm hungry, and I'm not searching for another restaurant. Do you have anything kosher or not?
- Well of course we do! Would you like our Special Surprise Dish of the day? Our chef really outdid himself this time.
- Hm, OK what's in'nit?
- Well I can't tell you, can I? Wouldn't be much of a surprise.
- But what if it's not kosher? Or if I'm allergic?
- Oh I'd never give you something that's not kosher or all...
- But you just DID! You tried to feed me pork!
- Sir I'd appreciate if you didn't shout? And no, I didn't - I served you our Afterpork Special.
- Vegetarian Pork Cho...
(...)
[/quote]
Oh, I see what you did thar.... :v:

[quote name='Queen Hoopdy the 1st' date='08 May 2010 - 12:42 AM' timestamp='1273275718' post='2290781']
No wine reviews? I frown upon this grievous oversight!
[/quote]

Living on my budget I can't afford to review wine.

Now, if anyone wants to pay me or send me bottles to review they are MORE than welcome to do so...

If anyone has any suggestions for a review though - be it a cocktail, specific brand of alcohol etc... or would like to submit their own review then by all means feel free to PM me and I shall see to it.

[quote name='Pourquoi' date='09 May 2010 - 09:54 AM' timestamp='1273413266' post='2292434']
Living on my budget I can't afford to review wine.

Now, if anyone wants to pay me or send me bottles to review they are MORE than welcome to do so...

If anyone has any suggestions for a review though - be it a cocktail, specific brand of alcohol etc... or would like to submit their own review then by all means feel free to PM me and I shall see to it.
[/quote]
DP Crew. Willing to work for alcohol. ;)