Sphere of Influence: Oceanic Union

Subtleknifewielder

[quote name='Sarah Tintagyl' date='19 March 2010 - 01:19 PM' timestamp='1269033538' post='2230541']
[b]Lillia Palace
Darwin, Australia[/b]

[i]Citizens of Australia, the Greater Oceanic Sphere, and the Free World,

Since I can remember, the world has been divided into the five continents: North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia. However in recent times, the boundary line between the continents of Australia and Asia has begun to lighten. These two continents now behave almost as though Australia is an active part of Asia and therefore Asia is entitled to Oceania's own sphere of influence. This ends today. Today, after the collaboration of various leaders from across Oceania, New South Wales, Greater Pacifica, Tanelorn, Alvonia, Selenarctos and Minilla Island, we have come to declare Oceania's independence from the Asian Continent. From this point on, Oceania follows its own destiny in world affairs, no longer will this region, rich in resources, diverse in cultures, and powerful in military might be the step-child of the Eurasian super continent, today we stake our own path.

At the center of this, lay two changes to the way Earth will perceive the new political region of Oceania. These being, the Asgeirsson Doctrine and the creation of the Oceanic Union. The Asgeirsson Doctrine, in following the traditions of other regional reforms, simply states that foreign incursion upon our territories ends today. We are the new protectors of Oceania and foreign political influence is not welcomed, our people are sovereign, independent, and while friendly, will no longer rely on the mouths of our neighbors for guidance. To those that seek to take Oceania for your own, I say this, do so at your own peril, we will never falter to save our friends from the mouths of the invaders. The second reform, is the creation of the Oceanic Union, a body of nations that have banded together to uphold and defend the established doctrine. Together, this Union will bring unprecedented peace to the entire region and with it, allow these nations to take their rightful place on the world stage.

Long Live Oceania. [/i]

[quote][u][b]Oceanic Unification Pact[/b]

[/u]In the interests of provincial stability, common defense, and unity, the peoples of Oceania come together in ratifying this pact as a symbol to themselves and a message for the world of the underlying paradigm shift which has occurred. From this moment forward Oceania asserts itself as a concrete sphere solidifying its rightful place among the world powers. Its armies, its economies, and peoples will live and exist in cooperation with one another and it is with this spirit and intention that the Oceanic Union is hereby established.

[u]Article I: Sovereignty
[/u]Each signatory recognizes the individual sovereignty of every other and in doing so pledges to refrain from any and all forms of aggression and interference which would be directed at any union member.

[u]Article II: Supremacy
[/u]This pact will preclude any and all other treaties and agreements including those with similar superseding language.

[u]Article III: Governance[/u]
The Bloc will be governed by a council of signatories, each signatory will be granted a single vote, and the final decision of the vote will rest with the sovereign of each signatory. Member states are permitted to delegate the vote however they see fit. The council will be given several core powers.

1) The council may amend the treaty with a favorable vote carrying unanimous consent.

2) The council through a majority may interpret the casus belli of a conflict, and thus determine the respective defenders and aggressors within the conflict. The decision would set the official interpretation for every signatory.

3) The council through a majority may eject a signatory.

[u]Article IV: Mutual Defense
[/u]An attack on sovereign territory of one signatory, or an unprovoked attack on any asset belonging to a signatory shall be considered an attack on all.

[u]Article V: Optional Aggression[/u]
Signatories are encouraged to cooperate as a coalition in all conflicts including those which are not defensive in nature. However, aggressive action on the part of a signatory does not oblige any other signatory to provide assistance in the effort.

[u]Article VI: Military Cooperation[/u]
Member nations agree to coordinate militarily and establish a central military advisory command drawing its leadership from all nations, and answering to the established council.

[u]Article VII: The Asgeirsson Doctrine

[/u][url="http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1624/oceania.png"][color="#4e6a97"]Map of The Asgeirsson Doctrine[/color][/url]

1) An Oceanic Nation will be defined as having their capital and what is considered their homeland fall within the boundaries of the Asgeirsson Doctrine. All nations falling under this definition of Oceania are thereby offered into the Union as signatories.

2) Should a signatory fall, the fate of the territory will be decided by a majority of the bloc council.

3) Should a nation within the oceanic sphere collapse, the union will take priority in deciding its fate. Prior to a majority decision a bloc led protectorate will be automatically established.

4) Only Oceanic Central Powers may exist as signatories of this bloc. To become an Oceanic Central Power, a nation's capital must exist within the boundaries of the Asgeirsson Doctrine. Land inside the Asgeirsson Doctrine, belonging to a power other than an Oceanic Central Power, will be deemed colonial.

5) Outside political influence is detrimental to the Oceanic region and as such, further outside influence will not be tolerated. While present areas exist which are not governed by Oceanic Central Powers, this treaty is not a declaration of war against them. Their territory in Oceania ONLY will be defended by the bloc against foreign influence as per its location inside the Asgeirsson Doctrine.

[u]Article VIII: Economic Cooperation & Rights of Passage
[/u]1) Each signatory agrees to an internal policy of free trade and economic cooperation, the abolishing of tariffs and trade restrictions of the Union.

2) Each member grants free right of passage to all civilian and military marine vessels and air traffic belonging to their fellow signatories.

[u]Article IX: Termination and Disbandment[/u]
1) Any signatory may opt to withdraw from this pact at any point, all articles will remain in effect for a period of 48 hours thereafter.

2) Any signatory who violates Article I, IV, and VIII will be first notified of their violation, and if the violation continues.

3) A supermajority of the council (3/4's) may move to dissolve the union.

[b]Signed for the Queendom of Australia,[/b]
[i]HRH Hannah I Asgeiersson, Queen of Australia
HG Anthony Harlem, Grand Duke of Australia[/i]

[b]Signed for The Unified Commonwealth Of Tanelorn,[/b]
[i]Thomas Grimshaw, Monarch
Rikke Edith, Chief Legislator
Bishop Earnhardt, Chief Diplomat[/i]

[b]Signed for Selenarctos,[/b]
[i]Antonio Pilar, Second Economic Director
Marcelo Bonifacio, First Security Director
Pacita Arellano, First Popular Director [/i]

[b]Signed for Greater Pacifica,[/b]
[i]H.M Ryn Atrevier, King of Greater Pacifica[/i]

[b]Signed for the Royal Republic of Minilla Island,[/b]
[i]HRH King Raymond II, Ruling Monarch and Head of State
Albert Ezekiel Grant, Prime Minister
Joseph Paul Gualtieri, Foreign Minister [/i]

[b]Signed for New South Wales,[/b]
[i]Iestyn Conway, President
Siriol Bowen, Prime Minister [/i][/quote]
[/quote]

It had taken a little time after the Queen's official announcement--while the proper facilities had been under construction even during the discussions were ongoing, they had yet to be completed at the time of the announcement. Now it was ready. Anthony Harlem was there personally to open the first meeting of the powers behind the Union.

"Welcome, everyone, to the headquarters of the Oceanic Union. I want to personally welcome each and every representative here today. While I won't be here for long, I did want to be here to welcome you all on the first day."

----

CURRENT ISSUES:

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

• 2 weeks later...

Greater Pacifica is opposed to the addition of Taiwan. Culturally they are Asian (Japanese), and strategically it is an overstretch of our own resources to protect them. There are other Asian blocs and nations to go to, ours is not the right one.

Requesting the sanction of the bloc for our intent to stabilize and annex the soloman islands and New Caledonia, both former territories of acca dacca and legacy territories of Glorious Aotearoa.

Edited by iamthey

[quote name='iamthey' date='19 April 2010 - 02:38 PM' timestamp='1271713067' post='2266788']
Requesting the sanction of the bloc for our intent to stabilize and annex the soloman islands and New Caledonia, both former territories of acca dacca and legacy territories of Glorious Aotearoa.
[/quote]

Selenarctos has no objection.

As for Borneo, we have sent in troops and recommend stabilizing it as an OU protectorate until a local government can be organized. Any other OU nations wishing to send additional troops will be permitted to do so.

[quote name='iamthey' date='19 April 2010 - 02:38 PM' timestamp='1271713067' post='2266788']
[/quote]
[quote name='iKrolm' date='19 April 2010 - 06:20 PM' timestamp='1271726422' post='2267159']
Selenarctos has no objection.

As for Borneo, we have sent in troops and recommend stabilizing it as an OU protectorate until a local government can be organized. Any other OU nations wishing to send additional troops will be permitted to do so.
[/quote]
Australia has no objection to Greater Pacifica's actions, and has contributed a small force to aid in the pacification of Borneo.

A message was sent around all of the nations of the Oceanic Union.

"Thank you, first of all, for taking the time to read this letter. As you may have seen, we are looking for some land, and we have information that your Union has a handy little piece of land available on your newly acquired Borneo protectorate.

We would like to acquire this land from you, and we hope to gain admission to the OU, in return, we promise to open our borders to our allies for military and economic reasons, and become allies with your country in instances of war or conflict.

Please get back to us as soon as possible.

Thank you,
Jesse Mitchell."

[quote name='Jessebelle' date='27 April 2010 - 09:56 PM' timestamp='1272430573' post='2278200']
A message was sent around all of the nations of the Oceanic Union.

"Thank you, first of all, for taking the time to read this letter. As you may have seen, we are looking for some land, and we have information that your Union has a handy little piece of land available on your newly acquired Borneo protectorate.

We would like to acquire this land from you, and we hope to gain admission to the OU, in return, we promise to open our borders to our allies for military and economic reasons, and become allies with your country in instances of war or conflict.

Please get back to us as soon as possible.

Thank you,
Jesse Mitchell."
[/quote]
[b]***Private***[/b]

After deliberating for a time, the matter was settled, and permission granted.

[b]***To the Holy American Empire***[/b]

It is the decision of the Union that while we appreciate your interest, we are not accepting observers from outside the boundaries of the Doctrine at this time. However, we are very much interested in an economic pact of some sort, to foster better relations.

[quote]*** Secret / Classified ***

To : Oceanic Union

Greetings,

The nations of Triple Entente and Oceanic Union have had their ups and downs in diplomatic relationships, but in the longer view of history we have been more allied than estranged. With the resolution of the last pending misunderstandings, we believe a more formal and stronger relationship between our nations is a possibility, and even extremely necessary in today's geo-political climate. Since most of our nations have several degrees of diplomatic and military relationship between our nations, a more formal organizational alliance does not seem out of order.

As representative of the Triple Entente, the Kingdom of Cochin proposes a Mutual Defense Pact between Triple Entente and Oceanic Union. Such a deep relationship could be a guarantor of peace in both our regions.

We look forward to hearing your feedback on this proposal.

Yours Sincerely,

HH Kerala Varma,
The King of Cochin,
on behalf of the Triple Entente.

*** End of Message ***[/quote]

You present an interesting offer, however Selenarctos is unwilling to sign a defensive treaty with any government unapologetically possessing a history of crimes as long as the PRC's. As such, we cannot support this action so long as the current government of the PRC remains a signatory of the Triple Entente.

"The Queendom was in favor of this proposal, but after private deliberations, it is found that even with approving votes from all those who have not yet voiced an opinion, publicly or privately, such a measure would not pass.

[b]***Private to Cochin***[/b]

However, please note that this does not prohibit the possibility of individual treaties between members of either alliance.