The Oceanic Union

Sarah Tintagyl

[b]Lillia Palace
Darwin, Australia[/b]

[i]Citizens of Australia, the Greater Oceanic Sphere, and the Free World,

Since I can remember, the world has been divided into the five continents: North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia. However in recent times, the boundary line between the continents of Australia and Asia has begun to lighten. These two continents now behave almost as though Australia is an active part of Asia and therefore Asia is entitled to Oceania's own sphere of influence. This ends today. Today, after the collaboration of various leaders from across Oceania, New South Wales, Greater Pacifica, Tanelorn, Alvonia, Selenarctos and Minilla Island, we have come to declare Oceania's independence from the Asian Continent. From this point on, Oceania follows its own destiny in world affairs, no longer will this region, rich in resources, diverse in cultures, and powerful in military might be the step-child of the Eurasian super continent, today we stake our own path.

At the center of this, lay two changes to the way Earth will perceive the new political region of Oceania. These being, the Asgeirsson Doctrine and the creation of the Oceanic Union. The Asgeirsson Doctrine, in following the traditions of other regional reforms, simply states that foreign incursion upon our territories ends today. We are the new protectors of Oceania and foreign political influence is not welcomed, our people are sovereign, independent, and while friendly, will no longer rely on the mouths of our neighbors for guidance. To those that seek to take Oceania for your own, I say this, do so at your own peril, we will never falter to save our friends from the mouths of the invaders. The second reform, is the creation of the Oceanic Union, a body of nations that have banded together to uphold and defend the established doctrine. Together, this Union will bring unprecedented peace to the entire region and with it, allow these nations to take their rightful place on the world stage.

Long Live Oceania. [/i]

[quote]
[u][b]Oceanic Unification Pact[/b][/u]

In the interests of provincial stability, common defense, and unity, the peoples of Oceania come together in ratifying this pact as a symbol to themselves and a message for the world of the underlying paradigm shift which has occurred. From this moment forward Oceania asserts itself as a concrete sphere solidifying its rightful place among the world powers. Its armies, its economies, and peoples will live and exist in cooperation with one another and it is with this spirit and intention that the Oceanic Union is hereby established.

[u]Article I: Sovereignty[/u]
Each signatory recognizes the individual sovereignty of every other and in doing so pledges to refrain from any and all forms of aggression and interference which would be directed at any union member.

[u]Article II: Supremacy[/u]
This pact will preclude any and all other treaties and agreements including those with similar superseding language.

[u]
Article III: Governance[/u]
The Bloc will be governed by a council of signatories, each signatory will be granted a single vote, and the final decision of the vote will rest with the sovereign of each signatory. Member states are permitted to delegate the vote however they see fit. The council will be given several core powers.

1) The council may amend the treaty with a favorable vote carrying unanimous consent.

2) The council through a majority may interpret the casus belli of a conflict, and thus determine the respective defenders and aggressors within the conflict. The decision would set the official interpretation for every signatory.

3) The council through a majority may eject a signatory.

[u]Article IV: Mutual Defense[/u]
An attack on sovereign territory of one signatory, or an unprovoked attack on any asset belonging to a signatory shall be considered an attack on all.

[u]
Article V: Optional Aggression[/u]
Signatories are encouraged to cooperate as a coalition in all conflicts including those which are not defensive in nature. However, aggressive action on the part of a signatory does not oblige any other signatory to provide assistance in the effort.

[u]
Article VI: Military Cooperation[/u]
Member nations agree to coordinate militarily and establish a central military advisory command drawing its leadership from all nations, and answering to the established council.

[u]Article VII: The Asgeirsson Doctrine[/u]

[url="http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1624/oceania.png"]Map of The Asgeirsson Doctrine[/url]

1) An Oceanic Nation will be defined as having their capital and what is considered their homeland fall within the boundaries of the Asgeirsson Doctrine. All nations falling under this definition of Oceania are thereby offered into the Union as signatories.

2) Should a signatory fall, the fate of the territory will be decided by a majority of the bloc council.

3) Should a nation within the oceanic sphere collapse, the union will take priority in deciding its fate. Prior to a majority decision a bloc led protectorate will be automatically established.

4) Only Oceanic Central Powers may exist as signatories of this bloc. To become an Oceanic Central Power, a nation's capital must exist within the boundaries of the Asgeirsson Doctrine. Land inside the Asgeirsson Doctrine, belonging to a power other than an Oceanic Central Power, will be deemed colonial.

5) Outside political influence is detrimental to the Oceanic region and as such, further outside influence will not be tolerated. While present areas exist which are not governed by Oceanic Central Powers, this treaty is not a declaration of war against them. Their territory in Oceania ONLY will be defended by the bloc against foreign influence as per its location inside the Asgeirsson Doctrine.

[u]Article VIII: Economic Cooperation & Rights of Passage[/u]
1) Each signatory agrees to an internal policy of free trade and economic cooperation, the abolishing of tariffs and trade restrictions of the Union.

2) Each member grants free right of passage to all civilian and military marine vessels and air traffic belonging to their fellow signatories.

[u]
Article IX: Termination and Disbandment[/u]
1) Any signatory may opt to withdraw from this pact at any point, all articles will remain in effect for a period of 48 hours thereafter.

2) Any signatory who violates Article I, IV, and VIII will be first notified of their violation, and if the violation continues.

3) A supermajority of the council (3/4’s) may move to dissolve the union.

[b]Signed for the Queendom of Australia,[/b]
[i]HRH Hannah I Asgeiersson, Queen of Australia
HG Anthony Harlem, Grand Duke of Australia[/i]

[b]Signed for Alvonia,[/b]
[i]Director Markus Wilding
Minister of Foreign Affairs Erik Kunze[/i]

[b]Signed for The Unified Commonwealth Of Tanelorn,[/b]
[i]Thomas Grimshaw, Monarch
Rikke Edith, Chief Legislator
Bishop Earnhardt, Chief Diplomat[/i]

[b]Signed for Selenarctos,[/b]
[i]Antonio Pilar, Second Economic Director
Marcelo Bonifacio, First Security Director
Pacita Arellano, First Popular Director [/i]

[b]Signed for Greater Pacifica,[/b]
[i]H.M Ryn Atrevier, King of Greater Pacifica[/i]

[b]Signed for the Royal Republic of Minilla Island,[/b]
[i]HRH King Raymond II, Ruling Monarch and Head of State
Albert Ezekiel Grant, Prime Minister
Joseph Paul Gualtieri, Foreign Minister [/i]

[b]Signed for New South Wales,[/b]
[i]Iestyn Conway, President
Siriol Bowen, Prime Minister [/i]

[/quote]

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are glad to see this get off the ground. It has been a pleasure working with each nation to put this bloc together, and we will be honored to stand by them in battle, and peace to defend common interests, and promote the good of the province.

"Whilst we, the nation of Nova Sol Terra, are an Asian nation we applaud Queen Hannah and the other members of the new Oceanic Unification Pact. Clearly this new pact shall help yourselves to grow and prosper in the future. We only hope that this does not mean you will be going into isolation and that we may be able to have talks about sharing our resources both Asian and Oceanic".

Statement from Prime Minister Veers of Nova Sol Terra.

"3) Should a nation within the oceanic sphere collapse, the union will take priority in deciding its fate. Prior to a majority decision a bloc led protectorate will be automatically established."

This is a particularly troubling statement, as it ensures that this bloc will use brute force over the wishes of government who have fallen or existing agreements. If this Republic was in Oceania and not a signatory of this bloc, and if we fell and we had an agreement with a nation also not a signatory of this bloc to protect our land, this bloc's charter requires that you take over our land.

[quote name='Sargun' date='20 March 2010 - 12:27 AM' timestamp='1269041209' post='2230648']
"3) Should a nation within the oceanic sphere collapse, the union will take priority in deciding its fate. Prior to a majority decision a bloc led protectorate will be automatically established."

This is a particularly troubling statement, as it ensures that this bloc will use brute force over the wishes of government who have fallen or existing agreements. If this Republic was in Oceania and not a signatory of this bloc, and if we fell and we had an agreement with a nation also not a signatory of this bloc to protect our land, this bloc's charter requires that you take over our land.
[/quote]

"That is not to say that the council will not allow two [i]Oceanic[/i] nations, within the doctrine, while not part of the union to make that kind of transaction. The speed and efficiency to quell anarchy in the Oceanic Sphere is paramount, after that is done, then people may bring previous arrangements to the council. However, in the situation that you illustrated, if your nation were to make arrangements with a nation outside the sphere, say if you owned New Guinea and made arrangements with Japan to take your territory if your government fell. Then yes, that would be termed illegal because of the doctrine, due to colonization. The doctrine will not allow non-Oceanic influences to create colonies within our sphere."

Edited by Sarah Tintagyl

[quote name='Sargun' date='20 March 2010 - 12:27 AM' timestamp='1269041209' post='2230648']

[/quote]

The point is moreover moot as every oceanic nation within the doctrine is also a signatory to the bloc. Any future settlement by nations in the region would be the result of arrangements with member states who are protectorate holders, or with the bloc proper. The doctrine has not been imposed on anyone.

Edited by iamthey

[quote name='Karl Martin' date='20 March 2010 - 02:03 AM' timestamp='1269046977' post='2230768']
Burgundy wonders if there are several redundent treaties concerning the security of the Pacific.
[/quote]

"If there are, they have ended here, due to supremacy. This is [i]the[/i] only protective treaty of Oceania now."

Edited by Sarah Tintagyl

[quote name='Sarah Tintagyl' date='19 March 2010 - 06:39 PM' timestamp='1269041923' post='2230666']
"That is not to say that the council will not allow two [i]Oceanic[/i] nations, within the doctrine, while not part of the union to make that kind of transaction. The speed and efficiency to quell anarchy in the Oceanic Sphere is paramount, after that is done, then people may bring previous arrangements to the council. However, in the situation that you illustrated, if your nation were to make arrangements with a nation outside the sphere, say if you owned New Guinea and made arrangements with Japan to take your territory if your government fell. Then yes, that would be termed illegal because of the doctrine, due to colonization. The doctrine will not allow non-Oceanic influences to create colonies within our sphere."
[/quote]
"Your main point here is, essentially, that you will not respect the wishes of the people but instead enforce your own supremacy over the region."

[quote name='iamthey' date='19 March 2010 - 07:45 PM' timestamp='1269045908' post='2230750']
The point is moreover moot as every oceanic nation within the doctrine is also a signatory to the bloc. Any future settlement by nations in the region would be the result of arrangements with member states who are protectorate holders, or with the bloc proper. The doctrine has not been imposed on anyone.
[/quote]

"Of course the doctrine has not been imposed on anyone - it is not yet a day old!"

[quote name='Sarah%20Tintagyl' date='19 March 2010 - 07:13 PM' timestamp='1269047600' post='2230784']
"If there are, they have ended here, due to supremacy. This is [i]the[/i] only protective treaty of Oceania now."
[/quote]
"Are you saying that should a new nation form within the land defined by the doctrine declines to either join or follow the treaty, it'll have the doctrine enforced on it?"

[quote name='Karl Martin' date='20 March 2010 - 03:17 AM' timestamp='1269051440' post='2230836']
"Are you saying that should a new nation form within the land defined by the doctrine declines to either join or follow the treaty, it'll have the doctrine enforced on it?"
[/quote]

New nations may form in Oceania and opt not to join the bloc if they choose.

*Private*

Thomas Devereaux wondered to himself why a nation in North Africa, and Europe suddenly cared about the theoretical legal status of a hypothetical oceanic nation.

Edited by iamthey

[quote name='iamthey' date='19 March 2010 - 08:23 PM' timestamp='1269051763' post='2230839']
New nations may form in Oceania and opt not to join the bloc if they choose.
[/quote]
"We are asking about the doctrine. We feel that it would be infringing upon sovereignty, since a state has the right to choose who they want to be supported by."

[quote name='Karl Martin' date='20 March 2010 - 03:26 AM' timestamp='1269051991' post='2230844']
"We are asking about the doctrine. We feel that it would be infringing upon sovereignty, since a state has the right to choose who they want to be supported by."
[/quote]

We'll defend their territory from foreign invasion regardless of whether they joined the bloc or not. Rest assured though, you're not an oceanic nation, so you won't have to suffer the abject violation of your sovereignty that a bloc led defense of your territory would represent.

That being said, keep in mind invasion and conquest represent the highest degree infringement one could encounter, whatever metaphysical uncertainties there may be, a defense of an already violated territory is certainly promoting that territory's sovereignty more so than observation from the sidelines.

Edited by iamthey

[quote]5) Outside political influence is detrimental to the Oceanic region and as such, [b]further outside influence will not be tolerated.[/b] While present areas exist which are not governed by Oceanic Central Powers, this treaty [u]is not a declaration of war against them[/u]. Their territory in Oceania ONLY will be defended by the bloc against foreign influence as per its location inside the Asgeirsson Doctrine.[/quote]

While the Kingdom of Cochin applauds this unifying move from Oceania we are rather troubled at the ambiguity of the above statement. We would also clarify regarding Oceania's policy regarding the real / artificial boundaries between Oceania and Asia. What geographic regions are considered as Oceanic and distinct from Asia? Also what is Oceanic Union's policy regarding non Oceanic territories held by signatories? Is it your policy to grant advantages to your signatories that you deny to others?

While this move is undoubtably a force of unity amongst Oceanic Nations, the Kingdom feels this treaty is detrimental to long term Asia/Oceanic Unity and essentially a death blow to the Bangkok Pact. We fear rampant and unjustified xenophobia may be the justifying undercurrent of this treaty, but of course we may just be unaware of any specific grievances that Oceanic Nations hold against Asia.

For the Kingdom's first query, we recommend that you observe the attached graphical representation, ashowing the limits of our definition of Oceania. Secondly, what does the holding of Non Oceanic territories matter? If the nation they belong to is a signatory, then any attack on them would be treated exactly like an attack on any Oceanic territory.

The treaty is certainly not detrimental to unity. A good regional identity is necessary, and many times, Oceanic nations have been excluded from Asian affairs because we are not included, in their minds, in the Asian region, so why can we not make our own lines in the sand? Assuming that all parties involved toe the line, there is no reason that strong Asian - Oceanic relations can not exist. You call this xenophobia, it is not, we are simply protecting ourselves and our own, in a long overdue manner. As a final statement, it seems to us as if the Bankok Treaty was never even truly born. After it was signed, it was never mentioned again.

OOC: Edited for grammar.

Edited by Silhouette

We belatedly realize that Minilla Island and Selenarctos identify themselves with Oceania when geographically they are part of Asia. It is truly a matter of sadness. The islands of Sumatra, Java, Sulawesi have been traditionally found to be bastions of Asian culture and thus it is indeed a great sorrow to see that Minilla Island no longer considers itself Asian.

We are also glad to realize that you would not forcefully seek to evict a non Oceanic nation from Oceanic territory, because such a move would naturally make Oceanic nations themselves potentially subject to the same policy being applied with regards to their non Oceanic territories by other regions.

A line in the sand is usually just one step prior to drawing the swords. We are unaware of what threats Asia has ever presented to Oceania for such statements to be issued in this manner. At a time when several interlinking diplomatic relations and treaties exist between Asian and Oceanic nations to forestall any aggressive acts against each other, this doctrine does not seem to us oriented towards a defensive role.

As a footnote, we hope this Doctrine does not become aggressive in nature and supercede the Mutual Defense ties non Oceanic Nations hold with Oceanic nations through the application of this Doctrine. Because if it does lead to that it would spell demise of Asia/Oceanic Unity that has brought peace and stability to our region for such a long time.

[quote][u][b]This pact will preclude any and all other treaties and agreements including those with similar superseding language.[/b][/u][/quote]

[quote]5) [b]Outside political influence is detrimental to the Oceanic region and as such, further outside influence will not be tolerated.[/b] While present areas exist which are not governed by Oceanic Central Powers, this treaty is not a declaration of war against them. Their territory in Oceania ONLY will be defended by the bloc against foreign influence as per its location inside the Asgeirsson Doctrine.[/quote]

Louisiana condemns this treaty. Signatories of this pact, who yelled, cried and stamped their feet when dealing with the despots of Tahoe are now doing the same thing by banning non-Oceania nations from owning land in their sphere of influence. Now, according to this treaty, a nation who is not Oceania and who acquires land legally is not allowed or the members of the pact will destroy them. Why won't the world learn that just because a nation doesn't have its capital in a certain area doesn't mean that said nation cannot govern land in a just and democratic way.

Louisiana will make note of these signatories, and will extend to them the same treatment that Article 5 extends to Louisiana, no land.

That is, of course, Louisiana's descision, and we shall respect it. However, we should point out, that personally, we here in New South Wales have never made any public statements concerning Tahoe's doctrines. It is unfortunate that you choose to view our agreement in a negative light, but we hope that eventually you can move past these feelings, and that better relations can commence in the future.

OOC: Edited for grammar, I'm awful tonight.

Edited by Silhouette

Whispers are spreading among the Cult in Tasmania, "Even in death, his vision seems to be fulfilled.. Australia.. united under one banner. Leviathan rises in a different skin. Surely the time is at hand.. the fire shall come within the decade. Great Emperor and dreamers watch over us.. we are united with our brothers and sisters at last. He had to be dead, it was the only way for them to see past him to the grand plan. They feared him in his righteous might and would not unite with him, but now that he is among the dreams.. they are quick to join banners. Oh world of great irony."