Athens Announcement regarding Ni!

Athens_flag.jpg

ATHENS ANNOUNCEMENT

There is no difference, morally speaking, between attacking a single nation without his consent, and attacking 5 nations, or 10 nations, or 15 nations, or even 39 nations. In any of these cases, what you are doing is initiating a combative interaction with another person without his consent. This is generally an accepted behavior on Bob, because without it, the vast majority of wars would have never happened. Since enjoyment of war is quite widespread on this little globe of ours, it is hypocrisy of the highest order to condemn someone for making the first move of aggression in any circumstance, because you are attacking the causes of something you enjoy, most probably to gain some political advantage for yourself.

In my view, what is fundamentally more important to wars is not the way in which they are begun, but the way in which they are conducted. Most of the grief that has come out of war in this realm has done so because people attempt to utterly crush their opponents, to wipe them out of the world, to prevent them from ever possibly threatening to do the same thing to them. This destroys nations. It destroys the enjoyment of nation rulers and they depart this world, often never to return. Curbstomps are less enjoyable for those who initiate them, as well as for those who are on the receiving end, compared to more even wars.

Tech raiding, when it is properly conducted, is nothing more than an invitation to engage in a reasonably even war. The reason that tech raiding does not normally have the explicit backing of the alliance is to prevent overwhelming advantages of numbers from building up and making any tech raid into a curb stomp or threat of one. Is war itself, of any kind, necessarily wrong? Or is it one of the most meaningful types of interactions we can have in this world, far more so than monotonous exchanges of cash for technology or quests for fixed resource trades? People do not die in this realm, soldiers can be bought back instantly. The only thing that really matters in the end is the enjoyment of the nation ruler, and I feel that reasonably fair contests of skill and strength provide for this admirably.

I am not happy with the state of things, where war is demonized at all times but pursued to the utter destruction of foes, with white peace even after weeks and weeks of beating being seen as 'merciful'. Is this more civilized than honorable raiding? I do not think it is.

It has been brought to my attention that there exists vast and widespread social disapproval of the recent raid made by Athens and Federation of Buccaneers upon Knights of Ni! I feel that much of this disapproval is fundamentally rooted in the desire to gain social or political advantage, but I do accept it as the dominant paradigm. In recognition of this, I can assure all of Planet Bob that Athens will no longer be engaging in tech raids of any kind on nations that occupy an affiliation which is recognized and listed by the world itself. We do not have the strength or the support to gain acceptance for our worldview, which is that limited conflict is good and healthy but striving for the utter destruction of foes is bad and wrong.

We invite the Knights of Ni! to discuss this issue with us government to government if they would seek redress for our actions.

Thank you, and good day.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for pointing out, Londo, that all of NPO's so-called "wars of oppression" were the moral equivalents of tech raiding. We look forward to further announcements from Athens along these lines.

Edit: minor correction

Edited by bakamitai

Okay, here's my problem with this statement. People join alliances for protection. That is the number 1 reason that new people join alliances. So that they don't get raided. Then what happens? You go and raid this alliance. You can't just go raiding alliances, no matter how big they are. It defies the original point of having alliances in the first place. Sure, it's one thing if there's a reason for that war. People who screw up should be punished. But as far as I can tell, there was no reason for this war other than a tech raid. If you really needed to raid tech, you should have done it to people who weren't part of alliances.

Thank you for pointing out, Londo, that all of NPO's so-called "wars of aggression" are the moral equivalent of a tech raid.

Er, no. He said that raiding different alliances is the same. Not extorting, disbanding, and generally destroying.

I'm not saying NPO is the work of the devil, but you aren't simple tech raiders either.

May The Knights of Ni! have mercy on Athens' soul, for I have none.
So first you're all tough and now you're attempting to make excuses?

I thought you had more dignity than that. I thought tech raiding was against your charter.

It truely amazes me that no matter what someone says or does that there is always the drama vultures that continue to be demeaning no matter what.

Any how

o/ Londo well said

Edited by medtech

Okay, here's my problem with this statement. People join alliances for protection. That is the number 1 reason that new people join alliances. So that they don't get raided. Then what happens? You go and raid this alliance. You can't just go raiding alliances, no matter how big they are. It defies the original point of having alliances in the first place. Sure, it's one thing if there's a reason for that war. People who screw up should be punished. But as far as I can tell, there was no reason for this war other than a tech raid. If you really needed to raid tech, you should have done it to people who weren't part of alliances.

And yet, most people don't join alliances to hide from wars - or everyone would be in TDO or GPA. But nearly all wars are vicious curbstomps that cause nation rulers to depart this world. Does it not then follow, that most people want wars, but not ones that are so vicious as to utterly destroy them? Are we really going to keep it up with the curbstomps, year after year after year?

:psyduck:

It's truely amazes me that no matter what someone says or does that there is always the drama vultures that continue to be demeaning no matter what.

What, I can't respect Athens anymore because I don't agree with them at ALL:

We do not have the strength or the support to gain acceptance for our worldview, which is that limited conflict is good and healthy but striving for the utter destruction of foes is bad and wrong.

"Our war is a-ok because it makes Bob more fun!1!!!!1"

Edited by Darth Andrew

Londo, you attacked 39 defenseless nations in an attempt to steal what is not yours and crumble their alliance. You expected them to lay down while you destroy their nations.

You pressed the "declare war" button. That's called declaring war. You declared war without a reason, other than your amusement.

I await the death of Athens. It will come, eventually.

And yet, most people don't join alliances to hide from wars - or everyone would be in TDO or GPA. But nearly all wars are vicious curbstomps that cause nation rulers to depart this world. Does it not then follow, that most people want wars, but not ones that are so vicious as to utterly destroy them? Are we really going to keep it up with the curbstomps, year after year after year?

:psyduck:

Actually, most people do join alliances to hide from wars. Think of all the recruitment messages sent to new people in this game every day. What is one of the top things included in all those recruitment messages? Something along protecting them from raiders. It's why alliances exist. A lot of those new people don't know about GPA or TDO, or they probably would be joining those alliances.

And you have no right to complain about curbstomps. I don't care if this was a tech raid, or if it was because they were spying on you, what this is is a curbstomp. I hope Athens has plans to pay reps.

Thank you for pointing out, Londo, that all of NPO's so-called "wars of oppression" were the moral equivalents of tech raiding. We look forward to further announcements from Athens along these lines.

Edit: minor correction

So your "wars of oppression" were not full military operations, with nukes, and cm's and whatnot? And after you concluded military operations, you did not demand more tech? Please, I may not fully like the level of this raid, but you can just go home now, if you're going to try and convince us all that Athens' raid was equivalent to your alliance's actions, say regarding GPA.