Here's how it is...

flag-alt.png

Official Browncoats Dispatch

Asriel, old, bearded, and grey, walks up to the podium slowly, in his brown duster, cane in hand. The old podium still has the old Independent's symbol of the stripes and five-pointed star on the center, though it is old and faded. Asriel clears his throat, takes a drink out of his silver flask, and begins talking.

Two years ago, on this very day, an alliance came to be. While never large, this alliance was grand, and in it's own way special. On that day, two years ago, Princeps, StargateDucky, CookieMonster, Shreck, and myself decided that we would no longer live under a banner that was dead or dying, and decided to unite with some new immigrants coming from colonies on the moon.

Asriel takes a slow breath and wipes his brow before continuing.

With the help of these immigrants, the small group from The Intelligentsia became the Browncoats, and thrived for many months. It was originally founded on beliefs of freedom, openness, and friendliness towards your fellow Browncoat. I hate to say it though, but many of us, left. We were all young and crazy back then, and wanted something better. So we left to form HPS. After a while a few people left to form FUCN, and I was saddened. Not knowing all the details, I did not see the reason behind the departure and was saddened.

After we few left the many to form HPS and later FUCN, Browncoats fell. There were decisions made that probably shouldn't have been, but alas, the past is the past, and Browncoats disbanded later on.

Asriel takes another swig from his flask before continuing.

That leaves us at the present. What now? Let me tell you.

A few of us have come back to the edge of this 'verse, and have seen, with much sadness, there isn't much left here. This was our home once, for a long time too. This filled us with much regret, and continued filling us with regret and sorrow until we realized that we had but one choice:

Reform the Browncoats. The grand alliance that was everything and more to me and it's other founders, needed to come back, and return to Planet Bob. Not in the form of just one division, but in the form of all divisions, civilian and military, front-line and behind the scenes.

So today, on this, the first of September, two years after I helped create the original Browncoats, I, Asriel Belacqua, am standing here today to tell you that we are back.

Asriel waits for the applause and other commotion to calm down before continuing.

In light of this, I invite you all, friends, and Bobians, to all come and be friends, if only for one night, in #CN-Browncoats on IRC or at: http://z3.invisionfree.com/The_Browncoats. Feel free to open an embassy, we love visitors. We will be providing the rum, wine, beer, and women. All other entertainment that you wish to come, may come, but it is up to you to provide it.

Browncoats Charter

Here's how it is.

The Earth was used up, so we found ourselves a new Earth. A new Bob, specifically. We settled new nations and proliferated across the globe. The central nations got together and formed Alliances. They decided that everyone ought to unite under their rule. A couple fools tried to stop them, but it was no use. Out here on the raggedy edge, cleverness will get you a nation and a gun will help you keep it. The mission is simple: construct infrastructure, develop technologies, and keep flying.

Basic Rights, Freedoms and Responsibilities

We ain't gonna tell you what to do, most of the time anyway. You can say what you like here on our turf, and we'll uphold your right to do that here. In the greater world, though, your words have consequences and we ain't backin' you up if you done get yourself in some pointless drama. We help each other when we can though--whether it's giving our smaller nations first dibs on tech deals, trading amongst ourselves when we are able, or just helping a fellow Browncoat out with some cash. Out here on the raggedy edge, you remember who your friends are. Also remember this--some smart fella on Earth-that-was once said, "with great freedom, comes great responsibility." Do as you like, but if you go and get yourself killed for acting a fool, we're as likely to sit back and laugh at you as anything.

Membership in Browncoats

Anybody can apply to join, and the process ain't too rough. If you get in, you start out as an Independent Browncoat, and probably want to become a Confederate Browncoat.

Independents aren't lesser people. You'll be under our protection, welcome to participate in any shindigs we happen upon, and if you stay an Independent forever you'll probably never know the difference. You'll be a Browncoat either way, it's just some of us don't like to trust new folks until they give us a reason.

Confederates get to see what we're up to a little better than Independents, when it comes to foreign affairs and such things. They can also write up new ideas or changes to old ones, and submit them for a vote to see if it's what other Browncoats believe in. Anybody can vote, but you gotta be a Confederate to start one up.

The way you go from an Independent to a Confederate is just to stick around a while, make sure everybody knows your name and what you're all about. Soon enough you'll get a tap on the shoulder.

Browncoats Government

The government of the Browncoats is split up into four offices, each of which has the right to appoint members to official positions to give them a hand. Any Confederate Browncoat can run for office.

The Prime Minister keeps tabs on the other cabinet members, has the final word on all major decisions, and represents us internationally.

The Home Minister is responsible for recruiting new members, and helping them out however necessary. The Home Minister is also considered the chief adviser to the Prime Minister.

The Foreign Minister manages our relations with other alliances by negotiating treaties and making sure we've got knowledgeable ambassadors to keep a channel of communication open with our allies.

The Defense Minister keeps our military strong enough to defend our members, oversees Generals to keep the troops organized, and in times of war is in charge of coordinating our efforts.

Order of Succession

If the Prime Minister can't do the job anymore, then the Home Minister will take over, followed by the Foreign Minister and then the Defense Minister. If none of these fellows are able to do the job, then the Prime Minister's first appointed official under his office will take over, followed by the Home Minister's, then the Foreign Minister's, and finally the Defense Minister's. The Prime Minister can appoint members to fill any other abandoned post.

Decision Making

Parliament:

All Confederate Browncoats are given a voice in Parliament, where they can debate freely and submit their big ideas for change. So long as two other people like an idea, we'll put it to a vote.

The Prime Minister can veto anything passed in Parliament, so long as it's done before the vote is up. If another member of cabinet wants to overturn the veto, a second vote will go down requiring a 75% majority. Pass or fail, the second vote can't be challenged by anyone.

Voting:

When something has been put to a vote by Parliament, then it is voted upon by every Browncoat member. Independents are, at this time, allowed to debate, as are Confederates.

A vote passes with a simple majority, with the exception of changes to this document which require a 3/4s majority.

Elections:

Elections for cabinet positions begin over the first weekend of every January, May, and September. On the first Saturday and Sunday any Confederate Browncoat can announce their candidacy for a Cabinet position. Through the next five weekdays we'll hold debates and gives speeches and such. Finally, at midnight on Friday the polls will open until midnight on Sunday, giving all Browncoats time to vote, with the winners announced on Monday.

Warfare

Browncoats want to be peaceful -- really, we do -- but we're not about to lie down and roll over for anybody.

Defensive War:

If a Browncoat is attacked, we'll ask the aggressor for an apology and possibly reparations. If they can't manage that, or if they just ignore us, we'll put them in anarchy before we ask again.

Aggressive War:

We're very much against aggressive wars. Mostly it's just bullying, and we're not interested in establishing our dominance over defenseless people. Browncoats do not advocate aggressive warfare.

However, if a Browncoat has a bone to pick with somebody outside of an alliance, we're not going to try very hard to stop them. We're not their parents, and they're not children, so our members can take care of their own politics however they see fit. The catch is, if a Browncoat picks a fight with an unaligned nation without getting our approval, we ain't bailing them out 'less the war ends and the attacked becomes the attacker.

When it comes to nations in alliances, it'd be suicide to attack them in a way that would prohibit your friends from backing you up, so for your own safety we just can't allow it.

Raiding technology is prohibited 'less you run it by the Defense Minister first.

Nukes:

Nations that are capable of maintaining nukes are highly recommended to do so, but again, we can't force you to do nothin'. Nuclear first strikes aren't recommended, but if an alliance decides to declare war on us, we will use this method as part of our defense. If some feller with more uranium than brains gets it in his skull to make our cities glow at night, we will retaliate in kind.

Spies:

Nations are welcome to have spies, we have no issue with this. If they want to go play with some unaligned nation, that's their business. Spies are a military function and we see them as such, you spy on us and we will gladly consider that an act of war and go from there. We won't use ours on you, unless you provoked us first.

Policies on Zero Infrastructure:

We realize that sometimes people do things we aren't too happy with, and may need to be individually held accountable for their actions. At this point, if they refuse to apologize and give reparations or fulfill other appropriate terms, we may choose to attack the nation until it reaches Zero Infrastructure, and we might hold them there for a week, maybe two, but the punishments known as Permanent Zero Infrastructure, or Eternal Zero Infrastructure will not be used 'cause they're not cool.

Amending This Document

Any Confederate Browncoat can propose changes to the charter, just like anything else. It's not exactly a sacred document, it's just the basic set of rules we currently live by, so if you don't like it then you had better do something to fix it.

Browncoats Government and Founders

Prime Minister: Asriel Belacqua

Foreign Minister: Nintenderek

Defense Minister: Straightupnobull

Home Minister: Atoms

Edited by Asriel Belacqua

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a protectorate?

As Nintenderek said, it is on the way. :)

I for one would like to hear from Schattenmann.

[ooc]please, for the love of god, stop with the blue-posting[/ooc]

I'll edit my post if it pleases the crowd, but only this once! It is a tradition that I live by. :)

Edited by Asriel Belacqua

I for one would like to hear from Schattenmann.

I really don't want this to be a thread about the past, so I'll give a word and then do my damnedest to keep it that way. Browncoats is the only subject that I have no eloquence on, so, bear with me.

Browncoats was unique in its day, and it still is. Every alliance has its sense of community and friendship, but Browncoats is unique in its dedication to the member to the last man (like Malcolm's crew). I admired this from the first, and I'm afraid abused it from the first as well. I've said why a million times across a million threads, if anyone doesn't know it's because they weren't around or refuse to accept reality. I remain profoundly disgusted with the result of my actions, and disappointed in them themselves.

I have known about this reformation for some weeks along with several other people. It's my great hope that Browncoats will prosper and flourish in this new era that is more conducive to an alliance that wants simply to have its comraderie and existence out on the fringe. Selfish members, hamhanded secret agents, and tin pot dictators dispersed Browncoats a long time ago, but the spirit of the Independents has outlasted all of those.

I would consider the response to a reformed Browncoats a test of the growth/repentence/change of many a Karma-reformed bully.

putting my past problems with browncoats aside for a moment, i hope you guys do well :)

Man aren't we both old and mild now?

Edited by Schattenmann

I do not support this. Browncoats wasn't great the first time, i don't expect much this time. Chairman Hal is the only good thing to come from there i can think of.

It starts.

ChairmanHal came from \m/.

How about a protectorate?

The Cult would frown upon opportunistic attacks on Browncoats.

Edited by Schattenmann

I do not support this. Browncoats wasn't great the first time, i don't expect much this time. Chairman Hal is the only good thing to come from there i can think of.

What about the fantastic people that lost their alliance when Browncoats disbanded? What about the loyal allies some of us had in Browncoats?

You just keep on thinking whatever you want, you still will never know.