One tC Leader's Account of the War

Anu Drake

Please note that this is a personal statement, not an official one. I placed this in this forum because I've been an alliance leader for more than 2 years and have never posted my thoughts about anything in a thread of its own.

The following is something I shouldn't be saying right now but RL work and family commitments are kicking my tail and nothing is helping me find enough time to continue to play much longer (and much rejoicing goes out through the lands). And this will be one of my last posts here. So I don't care anymore, flame away at it if you choose to, I'll still love you.

The Real Story of the Continuum Six

In reality, the six members of tC that canceled our individual MADPs with NPO did so as a statement about their lack of presence and input, and disregard for the opinions of their remaining Continuum allies. We did it as an attempt to wake them up to the danger of the current situation, for them and for all tied to them. And we only did it because repeated attempts to deliver this message in private and on our boards were not successful (our friends at MHA and TOP can attest to that, not bound to Mobius any longer).

It was the strongest message all of us could send at one critical time. Why was it done publicly? Because it needed to have as much impact as possible. What people think of us at this time on this forum doesn't matter to us that much because you've broken us down completely. Special hat tip to Vox for their brilliance in this in the early days. We would have all stuck around a lot more and enjoyed it if it had just been you. Then others came along but the fun of it was out. It was all talk of hate, tyranny, disrespect, provocation. This calculated marketing plan of Continuum evil was spread and repeated until it was believed as fact. Despite the fact that most people making those assertions have histories of using the exact same game tactics.

As Continuum started to lose members, of course we saw the threat that was developing. We knew where it was coming from and why. We had multiple opportunities to eliminate the risk with various CBs, but chose not to so as not to feed in to the Vox stereotype. During that time, the forces gathering against us picked up more and more allies. At least I'm starting to see some admissions that this is 'Karma's War', the propaganda, planning and encirclement was excellently done. MK is full of some very talented artists and creative people, and I look forward to everything they put out. I'll definitely make a gallery of the propaganda as we get more coming in.

Then the cancellations started all around and every time we asked Pacifica to enlighten us on the situations. Not much was given. By the time the intel came to the leadership of Continuum, despite early support, I backed off taking any action on OV. I asked that we think about the implications of such action and came up with other options. As we were discussing the options and whether to go forward with a plan I had, NPO and TORN had attacked OV. The next day, the six of us fumed, posted questions that were not responded to, and then talked amongst ourselves and decided to cancel our individual treaties with NPO. There was no military objective to it, just a political one (and internal at that). We were always going to defend Pacifica, and it was always going to be last night after we knew who had responded to their war. Nobody changed their minds about their commitment to tC and we certainly did not see the response to our announcement as anything unexpected, or take it into account in our war planning.

My Perspective Might Not Be Others'

That's pretty much the entire story from this member of the Continuum leadership. The astute of the community realized that it makes very little real impact on the situation, and many more just blindly called us cowards and backstabbers. It is unfortunate that what I feel is one of most important diplomatic statements was just destroyed by virtually everyone. But very understandable given the circumstances. I know Pacifica sees it as a betrayal, but that was not the intent.

But no matter how angry any of us are, we are all still members of the Continuum.

Yep, probably getting kicked out of tC for this, but I don't care. I love NPO and am very grateful for everything they have done for NATO.

The war is fine, you're taking on the dominant powers and that is what it is all about. But stop with this BS of Pacifica and Continuum evil. Yes, it whips up the crowds, but in the end what does it do to the community? If the powers that be are taken down, what kind of negativity will replace it? Most of us have seen the logs about one of the key members of Karma's wishes of going after Gramlins when Continuum is destroyed. I hope that was mere speculation and there won't be an attempt to do so. Gramlins deserve the respect they get, and any move against them would be foolish. If you want a more clear-cut example of the negativity, just look at the praise and joy that came form MHA and TOP leaving tC, then compare it to the threads about the remaining members canceling our treaties on NPO.

So Long (that's what she said)

Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this community for so long. I put an unbelievable amount of time into it, but once this war is finished so am I. I won't give shoutouts because everyone that knows I love them already knows and nobody else cares.

So to those that I might fight on my nation's way out (especially Starcraft, whom I particularly respect), may luck be with you and I hope all of our exchanges are fun and respectful. Or not, that works just as well, but I won't care much so it will be a wasted effort on your part. NATO put ourselves in this position because given our history in the UJW, we learned that you stick with your allies when it comes down to the wire. It is, fittingly, because of the way the UJW unfolded that we chose early on in this war buildup to stay in tC and take whatever Karma threw at us (this was before we even knew Karma would be the name of the other side, it just makes sense).

Although it is probably useless, I just want you to think about what you post in the future, and understand that there is a thin line between hate and role playing. I think that most people understand this, and their negativity is mostly just IC, and if we all were at a party together there wouldn't be any fights breaking out or grudges.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The war is fine, you're taking on the dominant powers and that is what it is all about. But stop with this BS of Pacifica and Continuum evil. Yes, it whips up the crowds, but in the end what does it do to the community? If the powers that be are taken down, what kind of negativity will replace it? Most of us have seen the logs about one of the key members of Karma's wishes of going after Gramlins when Continuum is destroyed. I hope that was mere speculation and there won't be an attempt to do so. Gramlins deserve the respect they get, and any move against them would be foolish. If you want a more clear-cut example of the negativity, just look at the praise and joy that came form MHA and TOP leaving tC, then compare it to the threads about the remaining members canceling our treaties on NPO.

Are you talking about the age-old logs of Big_Z or is this something new i'm not aware of?

E: Ah sorry, those logs were of Xiphosis, but it were the ones i was talking about. We are aware of it.

Edited by HellAngel

Nice post. But where would CN be without the negativity? People get bored when summer approaches, and once a critical number of nations (a small number) has gone as far as they can with traditional nation building - all wonders built, etc, there is only war.

I hate to say it, but this reinforces every negative belief I have about NATO. You're about the biggest supporter of NPO and the status quo out there (status quote = curb stombs, destroyed alliances, and extreme treaty web stagnation), and yet you're going to lecuture us about not hurting the community? Give me a break.

Best of luck to you in RL though. A game's a game.

Edited by Prodigal Moon

If everyone was sticking with NPO, why were mhawk and chefjoe abandoning their alliances to fight for what they believed until Valhalla and TPF did an about-face?

There was no carefully orchestrated plan. People were not dropping allies according to some master script. For the supermajority of cases, the treaty-cancellations were hard-earned by those who lost the treaties, and in the other cases the treaties should already have been gone or shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Of course there's been propaganda to build this thing up, but it hasn't been a wild baseless set of claims. Nobody in their right mind honestly believes that the leaders of the Continuum are personally evil, or actively

want to harm the game, but they have wreaked grievous harm on it nonetheless. There is honest and ardent desire to see an end to griefing, harsh surrender terms, people being run out of the game, and long grudges. We know we aren't going to be completely successful, but I for one am confident that things will improve if we win.

This is the first I've heard of any Karma plot against Citadel. I would love to see those logs.

I hate to say it, but this reinforces every negative belief I have about NATO. You're about the biggest supporter of NPO and the status quo out there (status quote = curb stombs, destroyed alliances, and extreme treaty web stagnation), and yet you're going to lecuture us about not hurting the community? Give me a break.

Best of luck to you in RL though. A game's a game.

Yeah I love the double standard, but it's always been one rule for them and one rule for everyone else. Is it sad? Yes it's very unfortunate, but you reap what you sow.

I'm tired of watching you guys play victim on your way out.

Karma is dishing out what is righteous retribution to those who our words could not compel. The old way of operating, hopefully ends with the attacks on OV and the betrayal on both sides of the allies of NPO and NPO to it's allies. Empty PR stunts, diplomatic manouevers aimed at isolating an alliance who has done nothing for a curbstomp, harsh surrender terms or none at all.

I like this post. And a RL party of CN people would be awkwardly awesome.

OOC: Bye Anu, you're a good player and I wish you the best in the future.

IC: Finally, the bumbling leader of NATO does the responsible thing and cedes his position.

;)

you are a good guy Anu an dI am sad to see you will be leaving.

As to the stuff about Xiph, he doesn't want Gre dead. He was mad about something and was speaking out of rage, I talk to Xiphosis pretty much daily if there was a real vendetta about Gre I assure you I would know about it. It does not exist.