The Prodigal Son(s) Return

joinflags.png

Nearly seven months ago, with heavy hearts, but big plans and bright hopes for the future, Timitz and I packed our things, turned in the keys to our offices at Invicta Government HQ, and left to set up Meritokrati.

Many things lead to that moment; the desire to see our unique visions for alliance government realized, the desire to create an alliance founded upon the values of Peace, Unity, Honor, exemplified by a government made up of comrades, promoted based on Merit rather than Seniority. We were also scarred by the events of the Bleu/Continuum War in which I lead an Invicta Fireteam, and Timitz served as the Commander of the Invicta Military. We were determined to create an alliance that would show absolute honor and respect to her enemies, defend her friends, but in all situations endeavour to prevent war. Unfortunately Timitz and I felt that we could no longer seek to create such an alliance within Invicta, and so we decided to leave.

Our alliance moved deliberately slowly, seeking to grow it's members and create a solid foundation on which to base a strong future. We did not want to make the same mistakes that many small alliances did and suffer an early death as a result. I am proud to say that we succeeded at this, creating what I believe to be one of the best alliances on planet Bob. We recieved much support along the way, from old friends such as Invicta, and new ones like SNAFU; an alliance who's friendship has been invaluable to us over the last seven months. We also gained several new members of note, individuals such as Rudekker who served as our Regent of Defense, NickTheWWIIFanatic who served as Regent of Trade, and Locke who served as Reget of Morale and Entertainment. Old friends joined us and helped us build as well, too many to list in detail, but including such individuals as Ryiis, Kae Lee, King John Philos VI, DaiVrath, and Hodges. The future was bright indeed for Meritokrati.

However, recently activity within Meritokrati decreased as our government members, for a variety of personal reasons, were able to spend less and less time on matters of State. Eventually it became clear to Timitz and I that government activity must increase, or we would have to find some other solution, such as new government members. Timitz and I first took stock of our own future activity, and realized that we did not have enough time to attend to all the issues that had and would crop up in the running of Meritokrati. We then went to each of our Regents, and many of our Vice-Regents, and found that most of them would not be able to return to their initial activity levels for some time. Timitz and I realzed we had a difficult decision to make. We could certainly continue on, and find government members who had the necessary time to take care of the various issues facing the government. However, was this the best course of action?

Around this time we heard from our closest friend in Invicta, who had recently ascended to the rank of alliance President; Jorost. In conversation two things became clear, First; Invicta had, due to the tireless efforts of Jorost, become the very alliance we had set out to create. Indeed the differences between Meri and Invicta at that point were small. Second; Jorost felt, as we did, that it would be best for both Invicta and Meritokrati to once again join forces and in doing so grow our collective members into the very best nations Planet Bob has to offer.

So, it is with joy that I annouce that effective immediately Meritokrati will be returning to the fold. This is not a merger; a merger sometimes indicates that one alliance has failed and the other is swallowing its members. I want to emphasize that that is not the case here: this is a union, a homecoming. Meritokrati had not failed, on the contrary, it had succeeded admirably at everything it had set out to do in it's initial creation. Meritokrati's members will not simply be joining Invicta, we will be helping to Administer it; all members of Meritokrati government have been offered government positions by Invicta, and most have accepted them. We will, at various levels, be helping to determine the future path of the Invicta community. Timitz and I have mixed feelings about this course of action; we certainly enjoyed running Meritokrati, and are sorry to bring this chapter of our lives to a close, however, we are very joyful at the prospects awaiting us as members of Invicta. This is a glorious day, and the future is bright indeed for Invicta.

Sincerely,

Sir Glen, Co-Premier of Meritokrati, with Timitz, Co-Premier of Meritokrati

Now, Jorost, President of Invicta, would like to say a few words:

September 9, 2008, was a bittersweet day for me. That was the day that some of Invicta's best and brightest formed the Meritokrati alliance. On the one hand, it was hard to see Sir Glen, Timitz, and those who joined them leave our ranks. These were not simply experienced players and reliable members – although they were undoubtedly both – but they were also good friends. But on the other hand, what kind of friend would I be if I begrudged them their dream or the opportunity to follow their own vision.

And so, with a lump in my throat, I bid them farewell and wished them luck. I never doubted for a moment that they would succeed, and I was not wrong. Meritokrati came to epitomize the ideals of unity, honor, and peace upon which they were founded. Invicta was proud to have them as a protectorate, and later we were proud to have them as an ally.

Glen, Tim and I maintained our friendship, and not long after I assumed the presidency of Invicta, we began to realize that our visions for what an alliance should be were very much in line. Over the ensuing weeks and months, the topic of reunification seemed to crop up again and again. Finally, it became clear to all of us that our paths, which had once diverged, had come together again.

Note that I did not use the word "merger." Too often, a merger is what happens when a failed or otherwise nonviable alliance folds into another. That is not the case here. Meritokrati is neither failed nor nonviable. On the contrary, I believe that many of the so-called "established" alliances of the world of Bob could learn a lot from them about integrity and honor. We simply believe that together we can achieve more than either of us could do alone.

Sir Glen, Co-Premier of Meritokrati, will become Invicta's Chief of Staff and 3rd highest ranking officer after myself and Vice President Haflinger. Co-Premier Timitz will become Invicta's first Minister of Special Tasks (MoST). Meritokrati's Regent of Trade, Nicktheww2fanatic, will become Invicta's first Minister of Trade. Several other members of Meritokrati's government, including Rudekker and Zarathustra, have expressed in interest in continuing to serve, and all will be given positions.

This is a great day for all of our members. I hope everyone will join me in celebrating our newly reunited alliance!

Edited by Sir Glen

Hey all, sorry for the completely unintended slight related to mergers. I did not intend to imply that ALL mergers are that way; while it has been my experience that many are, this is not the case 100% of the time, far from it. While this is technically a merger, I simply wanted to make it clear that in this case the merger was not the one-sided absorption of one alliance by another. I will edit the OP to reflect this perspective, again, no offense was intended towards anyone. :)

Newly amended, and considerably more accuarate statement in the OP:

This is not a merger; a merger sometimes indicates that one alliance has failed and the other is swallowing its members. I want to emphasize that that is not the case here: this is a union, a homecoming.
Edited by Sir Glen

I am very glad to welcome back one of the very few people I ever managed to recruit to Invicta. Hi Timitz.

Well I was secondarily responsible for recruiting him.

Yes I am a sucky recruiter. But still it's nice to have ONE still in the alliance. :D

Also welcome back to the others from Meritokrati. We've missed you so very much. So very much.

:wub: :wub: :wub:

userlay244323.jpg

Special Tasks are... special. Basically stuff that doesn't fall anywhere else. Like for example my feet don't massage themselves!

CLASSIC ... .. .

o/ invicta

o/ Meritokrati

I have to agree with the use of the word merge , It can feel as a failure dissolving into another alliance .. Hard work all but gone with a couple of atta boys , and good lucks ..The final result being a nice stat sheet in a new alliance that is making great strides..The pride of the hard work still running deep but you have to remain loyal to your new found home. I am wishing you all the best of times and I hope the transition back home goes smoothly... CONGRATS on a great run on your own and this is a great move.