Lacuna Populi

Chunky Monkey

I would first like to apologize for the lateness of my post, I came down with something and am only posting this out of my duty to report writings, from the people, by the people, for the people. Despite all the whining last week about the name, Ive decided to keep it, for two reasons, one, Lacuna translates to words in my translator. Two, if you insist that it means "gap" or "missing" then this publication is about papers that express viewpoints that are generally missing from the general CN users library of information. Thus we plow bravely on with publishing the papers NPO doesnt want you to see ;)

First a paper from Nintenderek, who we hope will become a regular writer for the publication

A day in the life of a member of Vox Populi

By Nintenderek

On a Planet Bob where the main philosophy is if your not with me, then your against me, many people have decided to make Vox Populi their enemy, even when we aren't. What they don't get, is that in many ways, Vox Populi is like most, if not all, other alliances in many ways, and there are many ways in which Vox Populi is different.

For one, Vox Populi opennly accepts diplomatic requests as any alliance does. We have people come by our forums regularly, just to be diplomatic and friendly. We will usually accept diplomatic requests from most, if not all alliances, although I am not in government and do not speak for Vox Populi when I say that.

A day in the life of a member of Vox Populi isn't much different from many alliances. You check your nation. You collect taxes. You pay bills if your not in bill lock. Many of us do not fight in wars, in peace mode, or not, making us that much more like any other alliance.

We discuss the same things many alliances discuss in their private areas. We discuss how to survive as an alliance and how to accomplish those goals. The only difference being how the goals are different. A member of Vox Populi typically checks the Vox Forums (or at least should check the Vox forums) at least two times a day, and spend at least five minutes reading stuff on them each time. That may seem very little compared to many alliances, but with the size of Vox Populi, it works fine, especially considering many of Vox Populi's active members do not post on the Vox forums. This is because most of our planning, discussion, and general conversation takes place elsewhere on IRC.

IRC is one of Vox Populi's greatest tools for planning. Most of the planning for everything in Vox takes place on IRC. If you check the old Vox Populi forums, you might find 2 topics on the red senate seat race while it was happening, if that. That's because all planning for said event took place on IRC, and everyone was informed via the private messages in game.

Well then, what is different about Vox Populi you ask? Well, it certainly isn't your typical alliance. It is an alliance at war against the hedgemony, an alliance full of ideas, both IC and OOC. Many of the members of Vox are some of the smartest people I've met in Cybernations, both IC and OOC.

If you take a look on the CN forums, you can tell that's also something very different about Vox than most alliances. Unlike a lot of alliances, which have many quiet members, who don't post much, most of the Vox Populi members are quite active on the CN forums with their opinions. True, not always do those opinons match, but usually they all do lead to the same general idea of the destruction of the global hegemonay. If you use an essay by one Vox member to prove another one wrong, you can not correctly prove them wrong because of the different beliefs and ideas each individual person brings to the table. A good example of this would be Junkalunka's idea of using Francoism in Vox Populi, which although did have a good base, and some members did agree with it, most of the general population of Vox Populi did not. This is why if you use one essay written by Junkalunka to prove say, somebody like Starfox wrong, it won't matter, because most likely, Starfox will agree with said point. Another example of this is one of my own. Many members of Vox Populi like what NPO has done by protecting members of the red team, while I indeed do not. So, if a member of Vox Populi (let's use Doitzel for this example), says that they like the Revenge Policy, you can not prove Doitzel wrong by quoting one of my posts, because my opinion is indeed my own.

This is why Vox Populi's name fit's it accuratly. Every person has different ideas, and the common ones come together to form one big idea. This idea is the Vox Populi, or the Voice of the People. It's a voice so strong, no force in Cybernations can destroy it, because the people will always be there. This voice is so powerful, only the Vox Dei can truely translate what it means, which is why only the Vox Dei can speak for the Voice of the People, no matter who that Vox Dei is.

Vox Populi is also a very close nit group of people. A lot of the people come from different parts of Planet Bob and have different historys. Some people have similar histories. All these histories have parts and peices in common, and lead to one place, which brings the membership together and although the members of Vox Populi do have different pasts, they all generally get along. Not often do you find internal squables between members of Vox Populi. Most of the time, we are willing to put our differences aside, because each other is all we have on this big ole planet called Bob. Think about it. On a Planet Bob where you are an outlaw and do not have any infrastructure or technology. On a Planet Bob where your nation is in rumble, who else do you have to turn to but your allies? The suffering in Vox Populi is what brings us close together, making us one of the tightest nit group of members of any alliance. I would consider most people in Vox Populi a friend in one way or another.

This indeed proves Vox Popui's greatest theory and it's principles described by MegaAros as Voxism. Voxism is the belief that that suffering must exist, and that perferably it exists in equal measure to pleasure. The suffering in Vox Populi from the eternal war is what has brough the members of the alliance together in alleigiance, and makes Vox Populi one of the most fun alliances to be in. You don't need to be careful of what you say so that you don't get rolled, because your gonna get rolled anyway. This adds much more fun to the game, and proves the point that if you really want the game to be fun, you yourself need to make it fun.

While it being the closet group of friends is an important quality for Vox Populi, it's not as important as the individual members itself. Where most alliances grow big by accepting most people, reguardless of how active those people actually are, Vox Populi doesn't opennly recruit none nations. Most people who join Vox Populi, join it because they know what it is from the big boards, making most of the members of Vox Populi quite knowledgable. If one member doesn't know the answer to something, another most certainly will. All that knowledge and all those ideas in one place, makes Vox Populi one of the most experienced alliances in Cybernations history. No other alliance can compare to all the experience that Vox Populi brings to the table. Think of Vox Populi as a combonation of every important alliance in history, because ideas from each one are there in Vox Populi in some shape or another. Vox Populi is highly influenced by those ideas people bring from other alliances. As my world history teacher would call it if he played CN, Vox Popul is the ultimate ideological homogenization of Planet Bob.

So, a day in the life of a member of Vox Populi is very similar to a member of any other alliances, but in a way it's very different, unlike any other alliance to ever exist in CN history and ever will exist in CN history. This is why I'm proud to be a member of Vox Populi, because if nothing else, the one thing that must be admited about us, is that we are the most unique alliance in Cybernations history.

This second one comes from a new member to Vox, Northrend, however he is eager as anyone to jump right in and assist the revolution.

On The Importance of Hope

To begin this particular post, I would like to refer the reader to a quote. It is in my signature. The quote reads, for those who are too lazy to scroll: Fear is a disease; Hope is the only cure. Fear is the very nature of our war against those would seek to impose their hegemony and influence on the rest of the community. The very presence of our enemy inspires it amongst each and every one of us. We do not deny being afraid. Fear is not something to which we are ashamed of. It is something that has taught us a great many things, and will surely teach us a great many more in the months that lie ahead as we continue our struggle for freedom.

Fear is an animal that must, under the correct circumstances, be tamed. It must be understood, bottled and controlled. It cannot be allowed to run rampant through our minds to such a degree that it leaves us powerless to defend that which we care so deeply for: the idea of a free and prosperous community. One in which our enemy must not be allowed to rear it’s ugly head in the name of a false ideology which by it’s very nature is oppressive in every respect. This task is an immense task that is not so readily defeated. It has taken months for many of us to stand where we stand today. Only after being dealt first hand the cruelty and injustice upon our lands did we realize that there is but one cure, one antidote, if you will, to this horrible disease.

Hope is that cure. Hope is the very reason we fight. Hope in of itself is a harmless tool for our enemy. However what our enemy does not realize is that hope is merely the vehicle that serves to deliver our message to other more receptive ears. It is the compass that guides us on our course. Without this compass, we would have been cast about in the sea of chaos and disorganization. It is through hope that we get a sense of purpose, and a clarity of vision and mind. Through hope we are united in strength against our common enemy, It is through hope, that our chains our broken. Through hope, that we gain victory.

Fear is a disease; Hope is the only cure.

This last paper was submitted to us via the anonymous tip line, by person who wished to remain nameless. We appreciate your support, whoever you are.

All Hail the Pax Pacifica

In Cybernations today all nations are acted upon, to varying degrees, by an overarching socio-political and military force which I call the Pax Pacifica. (Aside: In the first volume of the Lacuna, Schattenmann described the Global Superstructure; this is the same as the Pax Pacifica. However, for the purpose of historical comparison, which I will address in the future, I use Pax Pacifica) All entities that have any political interest, be they Vox Populi or ChairmanHal, actively consider the reactions and responses of the Pacifican Order before making a move.

Through skillful diplomatic maneuvering, and often sheer force of arms, Pacifica has created for its self a 'cult of invincibility' which it can (and often has) used to dictate what is and is not acceptable practice for alliances. Perhaps the most recent example of Pacifica's ability to control the code of acceptable alliance interaction was the creation of the ZI Peace Pact around the time of the Polar War this past summer. To those that are unfamiliar with the ZI Peace Pact, it essentially was an agreement between a number of alliances, including such political heavyweights as Ragnarok and Viridian Entente, that the sentencing of nations to permanent ZI status would no longer be practiced. As it is apparent that Pacifica will not be a signatory to these accords, the ZI Peace Pact has been rendered a footnote to CN History. An attempt by nations outside the 'Global Superstructure' or 'Pax Pacifica' to change the mores of CN society has been blocked by the weight of Pacifican opposition.

Having essentially rehashed many things that have been already said about Pacifica I realize that most readers will not be looking on this work as anything special or provocative. For those looking for something new, I apologize, and I must admit that this brief exposition is just a launching point for my future works exploring the 'Pax Pacifica.' I encourage everyone to keep an eye out for my future publications; I intend to take the current discussions about the Global Superstructure in a unique and fresh direction.

Until then, I bid you farewell.

We are still accepting papers written by outside sources. Here are some general guidelines to follow. (shamlessly stolen from the other thread)

• All papers must be submitted via PM/email at the latest one day before the publication is posted.
  • All papers must include the formatting to make them look like you want them to. Please put it in "code" blocks so I can just copy and paste.
  • I reserve the right to save your paper for a future publication and/or deny it completely.
  • You can write about anything that relates to CN, from opinion to historical analysis, all types of writing are welcome.
  • Because of the advantage of having an internet publication, all forms of media are welcome.
  • If you want to remain anonymous in your authorship, you can let me know when you submit your article.
  • Articles may also be submitted via email to voxhotline@gmail.com .

If youve gotten this far and you read everything, great, I applaud you and hope you have something to say/discuss regarding our papers. If youve gotten this far and didn't read any of it, and dont have anything constructive to say, I ask that you please refrain from saying it at all. Note that this is not a offical thread request as authors rights no longer exist, it is merely a request from publisher to readers.

Haven't been on the boards for some time, but some of this is too silly to go on without a response.

To Nintenderek;

You're like most other alliances, but different & unique? The logical part of my brain just had synaptic relapse. You can't have it both ways, and I would say you are way further on the unique side of the spectrum than the "we're like everyone else". The only alliance you're really like is FAN, because you're both avoiding complete obliteration by being in peace mode. Most alliances aren't in peace-mode, they don't have their steadfast nation building crushed to feed someone else's war machine. There is little worry of a continuous, never ending war against the NPO and its allies for most alliances.

You fellows are a niche alliance, plenty of reasons to all come together in your own minds, but please, the comparison of Vox to "everyone else" is hardly fair to everyone else. Most alliances have NS, nuke, etc stats that reflect growth every month. Most alliances aren't in perpetual war. Most alliances aren't as vocal about policy on CN or IRC. Most alliances are not like Vox. nor do they want to be. Most alliances are like NPO, at least more like NPO than VP.

Personally, any alliances claiming they operate nearly exclusively on IRC would be a downfall in my eyes, as a long-time but still casual player of CyberNations. Not to say my alliance forum inbox is brimming with messages or I have a 1000+ post count, but I think it goes to show, again, that Vox is targeting long time players with some form of beef with other players, most of it fueled by IRC. The number of wars where IRC was used in part as a reason, justification, or prolongation of conflict is quite high. I've been off IRC for months, and the drama-level has never been lower in regards to this game. Like you alluded to, Vox isn't for new CNers, so perhaps the IRC centralization isn't a detriment, as you aren't actively seeking new gamers for growth, but this ties in again to uniqueness, not "more of the same".

Again, this goes back to why you are unique. Other alliances have an important stake in something Vox doesn't. Growth. Growth to other alliances is directly seen in NS, nukes, infra; the stats of the game. For Vox, growth is more relative. If one nation coming out of peace mode meant 15 more dissenters against whatever it is your dissenting against, than that may be seen advantageously. Vox attempts growth via its ideas, the growth of a movement against what it calls hegemony, so it is more difficult to assess its strengths.

As a CN alliance, I regard you as a failure. Negative growth, perpetual war, no new CN gamers to share your knowledge with in any official capacity, isolated without treaties.

As a CN idea you've endured far, far longer than I expected. You fellows play the game in a way I don't believe I ever would in a nation-simulation game. Success of an idea, too, is in the eye of the beholder. You could very well all believe your doing awesome, and if you feel that way, than so be it.

The NPO-hating is a bit boring, though. Could you, maybe, get your e-hate on for non-chocolate-chipped muffins, some assembly required BBQs with Chinese-only instructions, or Xanathu the Never-Seen Collective-Oligarchical Overlord of CN?

Not looking at anyone in particular, Nintenderek.

And with all that talk of banishing fear, I think Northrend might be a closet Francoist.

Is he a closet lastweek Francoist, or a closet present Francoist, or maybe even a nextweek Francoist?

I'm just not sure what manipulation of Francoism he is pertaining to in that post. Could you clear that up for me?

Northrends essay, although perhaps appropriate for a campaign speech, has little substance and with a few word changes could easily be made into a pro-NPO paper. As for the anonymous contribution it was the most interesting of the three, although I hardly see it as a blow in the favor of Vox Populi's cause. Ali Akbar covered the Nintenderek paper well.

Not looking at anyone in particular, Nintenderek.

I see no grammar mistakes, and neither does Microsoft word. Of course, it is Microsoft :P

Haven't been on the boards for some time, but some of this is too silly to go on without a response.

To Nintenderek;

You're like most other alliances, but different & unique? The logical part of my brain just had synaptic relapse. You can't have it both ways, and I would say you are way further on the unique side of the spectrum than the "we're like everyone else". The only alliance you're really like is FAN, because you're both avoiding complete obliteration by being in peace mode. Most alliances aren't in peace-mode, they don't have their steadfast nation building crushed to feed someone else's war machine. There is little worry of a continuous, never ending war against the NPO and its allies for most alliances.

First off, I'm not in peace mode.

True, we are closer to the unique side than like everyone else. But a lot of people seem to think that Vox Populi is this completely different type of resistance movement and not anything like an actual alliance, and therefore they are afraid to join the cause. That is not true, as there are many similarities in Vox Populi as other alliances, as I pointed out in the paper.

You fellows are a niche alliance, plenty of reasons to all come together in your own minds, but please, the comparison of Vox to "everyone else" is hardly fair to everyone else. Most alliances have NS, nuke, etc stats that reflect growth every month. Most alliances aren't in perpetual war. Most alliances aren't as vocal about policy on CN or IRC. Most alliances are not like Vox. nor do they want to be. Most alliances are like NPO, at least more like NPO than VP.

See, your thinking like the average every day CN user. You mention NS and nuclear weapons and stats, but that is not what makes the alliance. The people make the alliance. It doesn't matter if we are in perpetual war or not, the similarities are still there.

Personally, any alliances claiming they operate nearly exclusively on IRC would be a downfall in my eyes, as a long-time but still casual player of CyberNations. Not to say my alliance forum inbox is brimming with messages or I have a 1000+ post count, but I think it goes to show, again, that Vox is targeting long time players with some form of beef with other players, most of it fueled by IRC. The number of wars where IRC was used in part as a reason, justification, or prolongation of conflict is quite high. I've been off IRC for months, and the drama-level has never been lower in regards to this game. Like you alluded to, Vox isn't for new CNers, so perhaps the IRC centralization isn't a detriment, as you aren't actively seeking new gamers for growth, but this ties in again to uniqueness, not "more of the same"

I think I pretty much cover everything to reply to this in the paper, so I'll just tell you to read it again.

As a CN alliance, I regard you as a failure. Negative growth, perpetual war, no new CN gamers to share your knowledge with in any official capacity, isolated without treaties.

And this is why you'll never understand Vox Populi, nor CN completely for that matter. Besides, we do indeed have treaties. Vox Populi has done a lot and is quite successful, which I outlined here.

As a CN idea you've endured far, far longer than I expected. You fellows play the game in a way I don't believe I ever would in a nation-simulation game. Success of an idea, too, is in the eye of the beholder. You could very well all believe your doing awesome, and if you feel that way, than so be it.

The NPO-hating is a bit boring, though. Could you, maybe, get your e-hate on for non-chocolate-chipped muffins, some assembly required BBQs with Chinese-only instructions, or Xanathu the Never-Seen Collective-Oligarchical Overlord of CN?

We don't hate the NPO, we hate the global hegemony, which currently controls Planet Bob, which NPO happens to lead.

True, we are closer to the unique side than like everyone else. But a lot of people seem to think that Vox Populi is this completely different type of resistance movement and not anything like an actual alliance, and therefore they are afraid to join the cause. That is not true, as there are many similarities in Vox Populi as other alliances, as I pointed out in the paper.

The purpose of an alliance is to advance the interests of the member nations by reducing conflict. Thus, nations surrender their sovereignty to the alliance government so that it may arbitrate intra-alliance disputes (reduce internal conflict) and consolidate foreign policy (reducing external conflict). If alliances didn't work, alliances would not be the predominant form of organization in CN. Vladimir's Meaning of Freedom essay explains alliances in depth.

This said, although Vox Populi technically has a a government, it has no power to enforce its laws, because they are crippled by their asinine foreign policies (MDP with FAN, perpetual war, etc). Which is a reason anyone can claim to be Vox Populi and the central government cannot do more than ban someone from their channel (regular alliances can ZI false flaggers, or traitors, or what have you). The purpose of an alliance is to reduce conflict and allow growth and prosperity, but Vox has no power or lacks the competence to reduce either internal or external conflict.

What is the purpose of following the alliance model if the alliance government cannot execute normal functions, besides signing treaties with FAN and U-FAIL? (such things require no skill). You might as well have not become an alliance and remained a revolutionary front, that at least would have given more gravity to your situation.

EDIT -- proofread. :ph34r:

Edited by Count da Silva

The purpose of an alliance is to advance the interests of the member nations by reducing conflict.

So what your trying to say is that Vox Populi isn't an alliance because it doesn't try to avoid conflict? I'd have to say that's wrong, as it would mean a lot of alliances wouldn't be considered alliances during times of war. For example, the GPA incident. They clearly weren't trying to avoid conflict with the whole Valid situation. Does that mean they weren't an alliance?

Also, your definition of an alliance is wrong. He's the correct definition from a dictionary.

1. the act of allying or state of being allied.

2. a formal agreement or treaty between two or more nations to cooperate for specific purposes.

3. a merging of efforts or interests by persons, families, states, or organizations: an alliance between church and state.

4. the persons or entities so allied.

5. marriage or the relationship created by marriage between the families of the bride and bridegroom.

6. correspondence in basic characteristics; affinity: the alliance between logic and metaphysics.

For the purpose of argument, number 2 applies best for a Planet Bob alliance, the formal agreement being the charter of the alliance. Our nations do cooperate for a specific purpose, that purpose just being different for Vox Populi than it is for other alliances.

So what your trying to say is that Vox Populi isn't an alliance because it doesn't try to avoid conflict? I'd have to say that's wrong, as it would mean a lot of alliances wouldn't be considered alliances during times of war. For example, the GPA incident. They clearly weren't trying to avoid conflict with the whole Valid situation. Does that mean they weren't an alliance?

No, it means they were incompetent.

Also, your definition of an alliance is wrong. He's the correct definition from a dictionary.

For the purpose of argument, number 2 applies best for a Planet Bob alliance, the formal agreement being the charter of the alliance. Our nations do cooperate for a specific purpose, that purpose just being different for Vox Populi than it is for other alliances.

False. OOC alliance =/= IC alliance.

The alliances of this world are closer to corporations (voluntary organizations) or even gangs/militias than RL alliances or governments, although even that is not perfect. The mechanics of this world are different from the world of your dictionary, which means that we must analyze society differently.

The self-interest of every nation is to remove itself from the state of nature: to give up its absolute freedom with the resulting removal of perpetual terror. It is in doing this that the individual nation will naturally come to sign a social contract and band together with other nations in an alliance, which allows them to concern themselves less with the matter of survival and instead concentrate on achieving their potential in other fields.

An immediate condition of any alliance is that there exists a sovereign institution or institutions. If there is no sovereign institution then the state of nature has not been brought to an end amongst the group's member-nations, but rather it has simply been tempered by a partial intervention. This will invariably prove inadequate to nurture the potential of those nations it purports to protect. As this type of alliance can be seen to have failed at its immediate task, it is not necessary to consider it any further.

Edited by Count da Silva

My good friend, Vox Populi are the haters, hating on NPO and other alliances success. :lol:

So. This is a really stupid thing to say. What is there to hate about success?

I personally, don't care about an alliance's size. I despise their actions, their attitude, and just in general, everything about them. It has nothing to do with the amount of nations flying their banner.

You're like most other alliances, but different & unique?

I'll be honest, I generally appreciate long walls of text because it means people have thought about what they want to say... but I stopped reading yours right here.

Have you never had to write a compare/contrast essay? It's perfect feasible for something to be the same in some aspects and different in others.

So. This is a really stupid thing to say. What is there to hate about success?

I personally, don't care about an alliance's size. I despise their actions, their attitude, and just in general, everything about them. It has nothing to do with the amount of nations flying their banner.

Size =/= success. Success can involve culture along with political power and number of members (the latter being a reflection of success). You despise their actions, yet their actions lead to and continue to secure success. You hate their attitude, but they earned it with hard work and intelligence. You dislike "everything about them" -- what else can we conclude, but that you hate them because they have successfully maintained their position and have shown themselves to be more fit than yourself?

Above all else, their success stems from the philosophy they approach matters with; intelligence and logic, diligence, effort, commitment and philosophy (francoism).

You stated that people are hating on Vox, but you never see haters follow a loser.

No, it means they were incompetent.

False. OOC alliance =/= IC alliance.

The alliances of this world are closer to corporations (voluntary organizations) or even gangs/militias than RL alliances or governments, although even that is not perfect. The mechanics of this world are different from the world of your dictionary, which means that we must analyze society differently.

What this has now become is just my word against Vladmir's. Not every alliance exists just to survive. Alliances exist to meet common goals. For some alliances, that is to survive, for some it is not.