#1 admin

admin

Game Admin/Owner

• Admin
  • 5,444 posts
  • Nation Name:Great Nation
  • Alliance Name:CN Staff

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:28 PM

Back when the game was in its infancy someone suggested that resources and improvements should increase the number of soldiers a nation has. It sounded like a good idea at the time and so the suggestion was added to the game. Since then, soldier modifying resources, improvements, government types, and events have all been a little buggy when it comes to buying and removing troops as well as engaging one another in battle. The options to remedy this problem are limited. To suddenly remove the effects of soldier modifying resources and improvements would cause major problems for pretty much every nation in the game. To even tweak the effects would cause a lot of problems as well. It looks like we are stuck with soldier modifier effects in the game, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Upon thinking of a possible solution to this problem I've come up with this:

Introduce a new category for soldiers called "efficiency". Efficiency will represent a nation's soldier skill level in both controlling the population and their skills in fighting. Nations would have two numbers for the nation display screen, one for actual soldier numbers and another number in parenthesis for their soldier efficiency level. Soldier modifying resources and improvements would now modify the efficiency of soldiers but not the actual soldier counts. With this change the following items would be updated in the game:

1) The solider purchase screen will be upgraded and will include a script to tell players the actual number of soldiers they are purchasing along with the modified soldier "effectiveness" that they will end up with. This way there won't be any guessing anymore.
2) The initial odds for ground battles will use the efficiency number and will not change however losses for both the attacker and defender will take the actual number of soldiers rather than the efficiency number. This will prevent the ever buggy "national draft situation".
3) Population happiness will not change and will continue to use the modified soldier efficiency number.
4) Bills will be paid on actual soldier numbers rather than the modified soldier efficiency.

Please share your thoughts and ideas on this issue and let me know if I missed anything.

#2 WarriorConcept

WarriorConcept

Duke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
  • Nation Name:Warriors
  • Alliance Name:Viridian Entente

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:33 PM

Can tech contribute to the soldier's effectiveness past 300 now maybe?

#3 admin

admin

Game Admin/Owner

• Admin
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:36 PM

Can tech contribute to the soldier's effectiveness past 300 now maybe?

Now would be a good time to update that as well, and I don't see a problem with changing it. There will always be a cap, but maybe it could be increased signifigantly.

#4 WarriorConcept

WarriorConcept

Duke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:39 PM

Okay, now regarding the effectiveness level. In the attack screen the odds will now represent your effectiveness vs the opponents? So say we have over 50% chance, will that mean we will automatically win the attack regardless of what type of attack we do or is it still a guessing game for that? Just wondering since I've seen plenty of people lose attacks with like 89% chance when completely out gunning the opponent.

#5 Epitaph

Epitaph

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Nation Name:Phthia
  • Alliance Name:Commonwealth of Sovereign Nations

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:41 PM

Sounds pretty good :D.

#6 admin

admin

Game Admin/Owner

• Admin
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:44 PM

Okay, now regarding the effectiveness level. In the attack screen the odds will now represent your effectiveness vs the opponents? So say we have over 50% chance, will that mean we will automatically win the attack regardless of what type of attack we do or is it still a guessing game for that? Just wondering since I've seen plenty of people lose attacks with like 89% chance when completely out gunning the opponent.

Well 89% is not 100%. That's the idea behind odds of winning.... they are odds. That part of the battle system will not change.

#7 WarriorConcept

WarriorConcept

Duke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:48 PM

Well we can't get 100% and still do an attack, the battle system doesn't allow it no matter how far we out-match the opponent. Also will the main standard nation display screen also show the effectiveness or will it only be available during the screen where you buy soldiers?

#8 Shadow Slayer

Shadow Slayer

I'm still around

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Nation Name:Shadow Empire
  • Alliance Name:Random Insanity Alliance

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:49 PM

I like it, especially with WC's first suggestion. Not sure about the second

#9 WarriorConcept

WarriorConcept

Duke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:50 PM

I like it, especially with WC's first suggestion. Not sure about the second

That wasn't a suggestion btw, just wondering out loud >_>

#10 Nicholas23

Nicholas23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Nation Name:Imperial Japan

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:54 PM

Just for clarity, the effectiveness will be factored in before we get our battle odds? So if I see I have a 70% chance of victory, this is already taking effectiveness into consideration, correct?

#11 Smallfrog

Smallfrog

A frog that is smaller than usual.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,394 posts
  • Nation Name:smallfrog
  • Alliance Name:FEAR......be afraid

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:54 PM

I like this idea. But how would this work around guerrilla camps, which can't really increase effectiveness in real life.

#12 admin

admin

Game Admin/Owner

• Admin
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:58 PM

Just for clarity, the effectiveness will be factored in before we get our battle odds? So if I see I have a 70% chance of victory, this is already taking effectiveness into consideration, correct?

Correct. The odds for battle will not change from how you see them now. Just the casualty results at the end of the battle will be changed. This way, when you lose 50 soldiers in battle you actually lose 50 soldiers instead of 75.

#13 admin

admin

Game Admin/Owner

• Admin
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:00 PM

I like this idea. But how would this work around guerrilla camps, which can't really increase effectiveness in real life.

I would consider guerrilla camps to increase the effectiveness of soldiers in real life. It is just another name for a training ground.

#14 WarriorConcept

WarriorConcept

Duke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:01 PM

Also will the main standard nation display screen also show the effectiveness or will it only be available during the screen where you buy soldiers?

(reposting since you skipped it and I was wondering)

#15 admin

admin

Game Admin/Owner

• Admin
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:03 PM

Also will the main standard nation display screen also show the effectiveness or will it only be available during the screen where you buy soldiers?

(reposting since you skipped it and I was wondering)

Read the OP:

Nations would have two numbers for the nation display screen, one for actual soldier numbers and another number in parenthesis for their soldier effectiveness level.

#16 WarriorConcept

WarriorConcept

Duke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:08 PM

Read the OP:

Thanks, must've misread it. I assume the effectiveness won't be visible to anyone else except through maybe perhaps spies.

#17 Rozalia

Rozalia

Former member of HoG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,699 posts
  • Nation Name:Great Bedford
  • Alliance Name:Nuclear Proliferation League

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:25 PM

Good work admin. I still wouldn't buy a guerrilla camp but at least it won't be buggy.

#18 Jihadist

Jihadist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Nation Name:Derkastan
  • Alliance Name:None

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:36 PM

Have you considered adjusting the modifiers to effect the total percentage of the troops a nation can buy? Right now it's set at 80% of your population(at least, I think is). What would happen if the resources changed that % instead of the number of troops. For instance, Aluminum. Instead of changing the number of soldiers by 20%, it could increase the number of soldiers you could purchase by 20% (.8 + .8*.2 = .96). It seems like that would be an easier fix than adding in a new system (although I don't know how hard that would be to code).

Also, 100% agree with WC on increasing the effectiveness of tech.

#19 Warfunn

Warfunn

No matching nation

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Nation Name:Austro Grug
  • Alliance Name:The Corps

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:47 PM

A much needed fix. I am always guessing on how many soldiers to buy because of my increases.

So if I have 500 soldiers and a 20% effectiveness increase, I will have 600 soldiers but only pay for the cost of the 500. And if I lose 50 soldiers in combat, I will end up with 450 + 20% = 540?? (Losing 60) Or will it be 550??

#20 Fistandantilus

Fistandantilus

Solving the mysteries of the universe one at a time.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  • Nation Name:Black Archadia
  • Alliance Name:Protection and Liberation of United States(PLUS)

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:00 PM

This is a great idea. I think that this would add alot to the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users