603 replies to this topic

#41 AVFC1

AVFC1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Nation Name:Gurteen

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:22 PM

Their similarity speaks to their purpose though. Nearly all the nations or territories/provinces using the ensign design (red ensign, blue ensign, white ensign, etc.) are historically British colonies or members of the British military.
Just as the New Polar Order's flag is very similar to that of the New Pacific Order. The design similarity of the flag speaks to it's roots and those who had a major hand in founding it.

The base shape design of the NPO and NpO flags are the same, thats it, the colours are different, the centre is different and they are more than distinguishable at a distance.

All of the British ensign flags look pretty much exactly the same.

#42 Cirrus

Cirrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Nation Name:Malla

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:20 AM

Their similarity speaks to their purpose

And there is something to be said for that. But ultimately they need to be distinguishable from one another. Ideally they should all replace the shields with a simple, clear icon of some sort.

Here are some examples. (with the blue field instead of the red, but they could all just as easily be red)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These flags all retain their British heritage and are all clearly intended to be related to each other, but unlike the flags I posted earlier, anybody can tell these apart from one another.

Edited by Cirrus, 27 February 2008 - 01:22 AM.

#43 Tritonia

Tritonia

.┐┌.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Nation Name:Tritonia

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:54 AM

It seems to me that the use of shields on flags is somewhat, well, redundant. Many of the rules for flag design are shared by heraldry, but heraldy has the added difficulty of creating increasingly complex designs to denote heratige. I just don't understand the desire to add "heratige" to "nationality" as they're generally linked in the first place. Plus, putting a "cluttered" image onto a largely "uncluttered" flag draws unwanted attention to it.

I made that for a RP, I think it fits well. It has 3 Alchemic Symbols that represent words, the Green banner to reprsent farming, a major part of the nation, it's outlined in gold, showing Royalty or superiority. It's purple because I wanted it to be purple.

I feel very unscholarly now, as I consider myself to have an above-average knowlege of alchemy. I recognize gold and fire, but not the middle symbol. Is it salt?

#44 jerdge

jerdge

Heart of Gold

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts
  • Nation Name:Gaela
  • Alliance Name:Gorgeous Perfect Alliance!

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:57 AM

I'm proud enough of my work to want to show here the AHEAD flag, as a good example of a CN flag:

Posted Image

• It's simple enough, with a few elements that can be easily remembered: the four quadrants, the shield, the dove.
  • The flag symbols and colours are meaningful: Orange because AHEAD is "primarily" an Orange Alliance, and White because other colours are allowed (and widely used); White also because it represents Peace. The four Quadrants were chosen to recall a GPA flag that is used on a site of theirs, and part of the idea of AHEAD was inspired by looking at the GPA; the Shield is for Protection, the Dove is for Peace.
  • Orange and White have an excellent contrast.
  • No lettering on our flag (ok).
  • The flag is distinctive and unlike anything else (in CN or RL).
  • Despite the dove and the curved lines, the flag is still realistic: it could be reproduced in large quantities without being too expensive.
Also, the Dove is in canton, because Peace is the primary value of AHEAD.

Edited by jerdge, 28 February 2008 - 07:59 AM.

#45 AVFC1

AVFC1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Nation Name:Gurteen

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:31 AM

I'm proud enough of my work to want to show here the AHEAD flag, as a good example of a CN flag:

Posted Image

<snip>

I agree, that is a very good flag and it follows the rules very well.

#46 HappyHappyLand

HappyHappyLand

No matching nation

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Nation Name:HappyHappyLand
  • Alliance Name:The Commonwealth of Sovereign Nations

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:53 AM

What's your opinion on CSN's flag?

Posted Image

#47 F15pilotX

F15pilotX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Nation Name:Maeroria
  • Alliance Name:New Pacific Order

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:18 PM

Posted Image

It's nice aside from the fact that the dove is somewhat hard to spot at first.

What's your opinion on CSN's flag?

Posted Image

I looks nice; the colors mix well, and it's not too complicated either.

#48 Sovyet Gelibolu

Sovyet Gelibolu

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Nation Name:Alpine Soviets
  • Alliance Name:Union of Communist Republics

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:20 PM

I disagree about CSN's flag. This may be a problem with my eyesight, but it's kind of hard to see the features on the globe unless you're rather close up.

#49 Uberstein

Uberstein

The member formerly known as BaronUberstein

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,679 posts
  • Nation Name:Ubersteinia

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:27 PM

That isn't what he meant, he is just a sour White Supremest we caught in The Empire and Ejected him. And The German Empire didn't get their arses handed to them, they fought very well, just with US Aid and such they lost.

Well yes, they did fight well, but you know a war is going badly when they are tearing pipes out of the streets to make bullets, and that was BEFORE the USA entered. Germans fought hard, but they just wern't ready for the war, nobody was.

Back to flags:

Opinion on this?
Posted Image

#50 Graphix

Graphix

Norn of Valhalla

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Nation Name:Gaussia
  • Alliance Name:VÅLHÅLLÅ

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:09 PM

I'm afraid those stars are very hard to make out. The knife could be simplified rather than looking like a pencil drawing. Perhaps a white dagger outline on a brown background without a white stripe at all?

#51 Weiss von Toten

Weiss von Toten

User-requested ban.

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts
  • Nation Name:Weimar Republic
  • Alliance Name:The Eternal Reich

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:19 AM

I disagree about CSN's flag. This may be a problem with my eyesight, but it's kind of hard to see the features on the globe unless you're rather close up.

I think it would look better without the shine on the globe.

Edited by Weiss von Toten, 03 March 2008 - 11:59 PM.

#52 Uberstein

Uberstein

The member formerly known as BaronUberstein

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,679 posts
  • Nation Name:Ubersteinia

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:33 PM

I'm afraid those stars are very hard to make out. The knife could be simplified rather than looking like a pencil drawing. Perhaps a white dagger outline on a brown background without a white stripe at all?

Hmm, well, that sounds like a good idea, but when making a flag, i'm stuck with bad MS paint skills. :awesome:

#53 Grand Emperor Brian

Grand Emperor Brian

MoD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Nation Name:Faron
  • Alliance Name:CSN

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:45 PM

Posted Image

Opinion?

#54 Zharanda

Zharanda

Banned - No matching nation

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Nation Name:Zharanda
  • Alliance Name:Norden Verein

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:10 AM

http://www.nationstates.net/images/flags/uploads/the_eurasian_front.jpg

Out of curiosity.... this is my flag from my old !@#$%* nation... what do people think? Apart from the fact that it looks nart-zee, so I've been told <_<

#55 Scott Robb

Scott Robb

Too sexy for my shirt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
  • Nation Name:Braveheart
  • Alliance Name:None

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:24 PM

Posted Image

Opinion?

It's a good banner, but too similar shades for a flag. Also looks a bit to photoshopped. And I stand by what I said earlier about thinking a 5 year old should be able to draw their own national flag.

Zhandra, looks good, although I don't know many 5 year olds who can draw a grenade :D

#56 Zharanda

Zharanda

Banned - No matching nation

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Nation Name:Zharanda
  • Alliance Name:Norden Verein

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:10 PM

I think some of the finest flags ever designed couldn't be drawn by 5 year olds. Like these ones for example:
Posted Image
Posted Image

I don't think it matters. If they don't understand the symbolism anyway. The NPO flag may be easy to draw, but how many kids would understand the principles of Francoism that the star represents for instance?

OOC: I got a massive warn increase for my last post... geez...
referring to OOC stuff or something :popcorn:

#57 MTTezla

MTTezla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Nation Name:Nova Rio
  • Alliance Name:Global Alliance and Treaty Organization

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:48 PM

On the contrary, Zharanda, I would be surprised if a 5-year-old from whatever country that is [OOC: Saudi Arabia] couldn't draw that flag, if they could write. There's only letters and a sword.

#58 Cirrus

Cirrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Nation Name:Malla

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:50 PM

CSN is pretty good. Get rid of the photoshop effects on the globe, though.

Grand Emperor Brian's is very interesting. The orange on brown is stark enough. The symbols inside the diamonds are maybe too complex, but it's ok because the diamonds are distinctive enough to be easily identifiable. A five year old would draw the diamonds and squiqqle inside each one, but you'd still know what flag s/he was drawing. It's not exactly textbook, but I think it's very effective and very attractive. The only thing I don't like is the two dark arrowheads/leaves above and below the main orange ones. They're both unnecessary and hard to distinguish. I'd ditch them and just go w/ the simple two tones of orange and brown. But all in all, this is an example of a flag that deviates a little, but does so successfully.

Edited by Cirrus, 03 March 2008 - 09:53 PM.

#59 Grand Emperor Brian

Grand Emperor Brian

MoD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Nation Name:Faron
  • Alliance Name:CSN

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:37 PM

Thanks, Cirrus. I appreciate the comments. :D

#60 Keanu Stryker

Keanu Stryker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Nation Name:The Corpal Republic
  • Alliance Name:Alchemy

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:06 PM

OOC: You might also want to use Liberia's national flag as a bad flag. Sometimes, having a flag too simple is bad.

OOC: Don't disrespect Liberia, it is a great country with and American Past. It was a country for freed slaves.

(P.S. I'm Liberian so shut up)

Edited by Keanu Stryker, 04 March 2008 - 07:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users