This Week: Five Years of Schattenmann

Schattenmann

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Vanilla Napalm' timestamp='1327281915' post='2905118']
Really? I would have thought everyone would have an in-depth knowledge of this already, given that every post you make operates as a vector for the great intellectual process of 'arbitrary opinion/i was in vox/evil hegemony'.
[/quote][quote name='Stonewall Jaxon' timestamp='1327282292' post='2905123']
Every post in this entire forum is an "arbitrary opinion." :v:
[/quote][quote name='Vanilla Napalm' timestamp='1327283075' post='2905127']
Welp, the CoJ [i]ideal[/i] thing didn't last too long.
[/quote]
This last comment is a [i]non sequitor[/i] that I didn't mind ignoring until it got traction. Our official stances are not arbitrary, they are based in our ideals. Posts on this forum in general, as Stonewall joked, are usually an arbitrary opinion; they are not official stances. The two are not the same.

Edited by Schattenmann

[quote name='Buds The Man' timestamp='1327345183' post='2905622']
decent read though i find your thoughts on MJs leadership completely incorrect. Considering most in MJ starter 2011 with a huge target on our backs we not only survived but we thrived and won. So if that is lacking brains then perhaps its not such a bad thing.
[/quote]

Wasn't MJ founded in like June

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' timestamp='1327299351' post='2905308']
[color="#0000FF"]Not me. I was appealed to the morals and ethics and ideals. That is why I joined MK. It is one of the last bastions of decency in this world.[/color]
[/quote]
This was a good call. MK is the last bastion of Francoism in this world

[i][OOC]If I may be permitted an OOC post in this forum, I'd just like to say it's good to have someone in the community who puts some effort into, and enjoy, the RP element of CN. We need more people prepared to come up with characterisations and deep content like this.[/OOC][/i]

Seeing SWK on the 'moralist side' still surprises me, after the differences of opinion we had in Citadel back in the day. Good luck getting Reyne on board with anything political, though, as she essentially retired when she went to Argent.

[quote name='Bob Janova' timestamp='1327348593' post='2905664']
[i][OOC]If I may be permitted an OOC post in this forum, I'd just like to say it's good to have someone in the community who puts some effort into, and enjoy, the RP element of CN. We need more people prepared to come up with characterisations and deep content like this.[/OOC][/i]

Seeing SWK on the 'moralist side' still surprises me, after the differences of opinion we had in Citadel back in the day. Good luck getting Reyne on board with anything political, though, as she essentially retired when she went to Argent.
[/quote]
I dare say the first quote at least partially explains the second one.

The world is not what it was; one makes a new life in the ashes of the Old Empire. Following Lady Justice is the only course that makes sense in this dark world.

[quote name='Leet Guy' timestamp='1327350566' post='2905682']
Can't disagree with that for 2011, or 2012 for that matter.
[/quote]
Are you threatning me :P

No my point to Schatt is simple he may not like our leadership but to call us stupid is over the top imo. But then again im biased.

[quote name='Buds The Man' timestamp='1327345183' post='2905622']we not only survived but we thrived and [size="5"][b]won[/b][/size].[/quote]

Whoa Whoa Whoa! Hold on there cowboy. Don't hang up those pistols just yet as it's not even high noon and there's a few more hombres out here that you'll have to tangle with before getting to make that claim.

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1327335795' post='2905524']
This last comment is a [i]non sequitor[/i] that I didn't mind ignoring until it got traction. Our official stances are not arbitrary, they are based in our ideals. Posts on this forum in general, as Stonewall joked, are usually an arbitrary opinion; they are not official stances. The two are not the same.
[/quote]
Yeah the arbitrary thing did get pedantic, which was why i said i had no issue dropping it.
That's a fairly self-evident point: Given that an official stance (say, an alliance announcement) would logically pertain to CoJ in itself, the reasoning behind the stance necessitates it be reasoned from the same perspective, so it can't be arbitrary. What i'm discussing is your capacity to seemingly pick up a posturingly partisan opinion on any given (and typically every given) concern; if a tenet of your idealism is to attempt to find a villian in any given scenario regardless of context, severity and even relevence then fine, more power to you. Just appears to be a rather unpleasantly black and white experience of the world is all.

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1327261211' post='2904851'][color="#8B0000"][b]SM:[/b][/color] Twelve is too much to go into a lot of detail, but here you go. Give me a list. I like GPA, I think there’s a place for neutrality, and I’ve always championed that. Before our merger with DNA, there were more ex-GPAers in CoJ than from anywhere else, including four Presidents of GPA.[/quote]
Thank you for your kind words.
[spoiler]You can anyway take them back, if we get some of those former members in turn... :v:[/spoiler]
[spoiler][size=1][color=grey][b][ooc][/b][/color][/size] You are one of the best writers of this game, probably unmatched as "journalist". Well done with this piece: it's outstanding. :) [size=1][color=grey][b][/ooc][/b][/color][/size][/spoiler]

Congrats on surviving in this terrible world so long.

Also, just noticed that we actually came around only a day apart (and a couple of years separated). I've been far to busy with other things to notice my own birthday till too late though.

Edited by Locke

[quote name='Buds The Man' timestamp='1327345183' post='2905622']
decent read though i find your thoughts on MJs leadership completely incorrect. Considering most in MJ starter 2011 with a huge target on our backs we not only survived but we thrived and won. So if that is lacking brains then perhaps its not such a bad thing.
[/quote][quote name='Buds The Man' timestamp='1327351980' post='2905694']
No my point to Schatt is simple he may not like our leadership but to call us stupid is over the top imo. But then again im biased.
[/quote]
First of all, "brains" probably was not the word I was looking for. A hazard of a cold interview. When I say that Mj does not have the brains that PB has, I mean more precisely that there are constituent AAs in PB which clearly got in the way of bigger things; and by contrast Mjolnir are better muscle. For a group of alliances I am so fond of individually, I put that foot in my mouth more often with you guys than anyone else; perhaps because I am so fond of you. I am certainly aware that V Zep is intelligent, I was very glad to get to know- and to spend time with him in Vox Populi; Bob Ilyani and I were very close while Nemesis and CoJ were allied; Zzzptm and I go back a very long time, and Myworld has the distinction of the first person to PZI me, and their work in Nueva Vida and Dark Templar respectively is to be admired. In the past ~1.5 years, I've had the pleasure of in-depth and intense discussions about the state of global politics with NoR, Valhalla, Dark Templar, and Ragnarok, and to fight alongside Asgaard. When I say that they don't have the "brains" of PB, the distinction I was trying to draw is that all of these alliance's governments understand the lay of the land and their pivotal role in how things played out one way or the other, but none cared. All were more concerned with revenge for sleights no doubt real, but nevertheless overblown. And so now that you've had your revenge, what remains to be seen is whether you collect your thoughts and go on to a more distinct existence, or whether you become that "marginalized" proxy of Doom House "despite your hard-fought victory."
But stupid, no. And I do apologize for making that poor vocab choice.

[quote name='Vanilla Napalm' timestamp='1327363625' post='2905832']
What i'm discussing is your capacity to seemingly pick up a posturingly partisan opinion on any given (and typically every given) concern; if a tenet of your idealism is to attempt to find a villian in any given scenario regardless of context, severity and even relevence then fine, more power to you. Just appears to be a rather unpleasantly black and white experience of the world is all.
[/quote]
It is very easy to find a villain when he presents himself packaged nicely before the world. Thought justice is blind, we do not have the capacity to turn a blind eye to injustice. Justice demands a verdict, and we are entrusted and charged by Justitia to deliver it.

[quote name='LordDarknessOfLight' timestamp='1327371374' post='2905912']
Well done Schatt! Very nice read and creative... Wish more CNers would do this.
[/quote]
Thank you, I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

[quote name='LordDarknessOfLight' timestamp='1327371433' post='2905913']
Schatt, do you see any potential of new antagonist rising in CN that would also make a change in CN history?
[/quote]
[s]I think tha[/s]-- Antagonism and protagonism are relative terms to each other, but also to the context of the world order of things. Who did "Supergrievances" (DH, C&G, SuperFriends, Pandora's Box) fear to be antagonists? The only big spots of NS not allied to them: Pacifica and Polaris and their allies. So! VE jumped Polaris and while the getting was good, Doom House jumped Pacifica. What is the typical narrative from this point? The schism becomes deeper as the aggrieved party seeks revenge; however, that did not happen, did it? No; Pacifica allied itself to the powerbase which destroyed it, and Polaris simply remained complacent and resigned to TOP's inevitable attack.
We are left, then, with no clear heir to the Throne of Antagonist. Because, as I said in the interview, people are weak-willed and not ambitious, the more Polaris is attacked, the less alliances will associate with them; they cannot create the network required to become antagonists. XX was menacing to paranoid power-brokers, but they were passive, and now they too are defeated. SuperFriends stopped falling in line behind Doom House/C&G/PB, but they were never a real threat to anyone but the undertaker. Who is left?
We go back to global context: "Antagonist" has negative connotations; it conjures visions of a nefarious foil to an upstanding white knight. But if the global context is that the ruling order is itself that nefarious menace, then now in global context the antagonist is the party that challenges that order. Not those parties which simply doesn't participate, but which challenge. CoJ is an antagonist, STA is an antagonist, others maybe that don't come ot mind right offhand. But on a global scale? Not so much; not enough to "make a change in [Digiterran] history" as you asked. VE's ideals on paper could make it that antagonist, but VE's actions and attitudes don't make that seem very likely, do they? No.

But, this is the speculation of today. Tomorrow's child is the only child.

Edited by Schattenmann

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1327379274' post='2905987']
It is very easy to find a villain when he presents himself packaged nicely before the world. Thought justice is blind, we do not have the capacity to turn a blind eye to injustice. Justice demands a verdict, and we are entrusted and charged by Justitia to deliver it.
[/quote]

After all this back and forth, are you seriously saying the only thing i got wrong was the order? Changing 'Arbitrary opinion/i was in vox/evil hegemony' to 'Evil hegemony/arbitrary opinion/i was in vox' does not require this much discussion.

[quote name='Vanilla Napalm' timestamp='1327383464' post='2906034']
After all this back and forth, are you seriously saying the only thing i got wrong was the order? Changing 'Arbitrary opinion/i was in vox/evil hegemony' to 'Evil hegemony/arbitrary opinion/i was in vox' does not require this much discussion.
[/quote]

Nobody is saying the statements that you, specifically and individually, make are arbitrary. Your statements quite apparently follow a well defined formula provided to you by your intellectual betters in your alliance's sphere of influence. To that extent, I agree that my fellow Justitians were unfair in calling "all" of the statements made in this forum arbitrary. Many of them are based upon the well defined directives of decision-makers, who make arbitrary decisions above your pay grade.

[quote name='Don Chele' timestamp='1327386144' post='2906059']
Nobody is saying the statements that you, specifically and individually, make are arbitrary. Your statements quite apparently follow a well defined formula provided to you by your intellectual betters in your alliance's sphere of influence. To that extent, I agree that my fellow Justitians were unfair in calling "all" of the statements made in this forum arbitrary. Many of them are based upon the well defined directives of decision-makers, who make arbitrary decisions above your pay grade.
[/quote]
Finally, someone aknowledges me for my part in the evil hegemony!
Despite the 'I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids' zinger, i'm still going to take this as a compliment.

Edited by Vanilla Napalm

[quote name='Vanilla Napalm' timestamp='1327387082' post='2906063']
Finally, someone aknowledges me for my part in the evil hegemony!
Despite the 'I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids' zinger, i'm still going to take this as a compliment.
[/quote]
Minions are people too, and as such should be given an occasional pat on the back.

[quote name='Don Chele' timestamp='1327387512' post='2906067']
Minions are people too, and as such should be given an occasional pat on the back.
[/quote]
I appreciate it. Typically i reserve the space for tech raid rants, but your heartfelt remarks are TOTALLY GOING ON THE FRIDGE. Well, i call it a fridge.