Photo
- - - - -

The Brehon-Schatt Chat

Posted by Phineas , 09 March 2012 · 106 views

So… I listened to a fair deal of Schattenmann's chat with Emperor Brehon last night. The part where they talked about developing (or just getting) better dogmas struck a chord here since I have been tempted to be a full-time idiot poster since there really is not much good debate on the OWF.... and being an idiot seems to get the most attention around here and.... why yes, I am an unapologetic attention seeker.

So, some reaction: if I understand correctly, the NPO's dogma is to have no rigid dogma, they believe in living the idea that an alliance should be able to change as reality changes. Please correct me if I misunderstand or mischaracterized that.

Now what about other dogmas out there? I know the gpa has a dogma of neutrality at almost any cost (correction from Jerdge, this should read at any cost :( ). I know the goons have a dogma of something awful at all costs. I know my alliance has a dogma of speaking truth to power at a lot of cost, but what about other alliances?

What other alliance dogmas are out there that might be less obvious but are more talked about? Do we have enough dogma pieces to build on to start making another kind of sense out of our politics?

Photo
Prodigal Moon
Mar 09 2012 09:08 PM
Cult of Justitia has its own principles and school of thought. It's not a codified dogma, but we advocate for justice, independence, intellectual discourse, and integrity in foreign affairs. Likewise, we fight against subjugation, extortion, and bullying.
My apology for the slight, chalk it off to the elephant in the room? But yes, the CoJ also should have been highlighted in my post, especially given its loud purpose and history.
Also, that was a great show. Seriously. Brehon and Schatt were both on point and it was pretty awesome. If anyone has not heard it, hopefully someone recorded it because it is really worth a listen.
Photo
Prodigal Moon
Mar 09 2012 10:25 PM
No problem at all, I think you're right we're probably just too obvious to stand out :ph34r: I agree about the show, I was really impressed at how smoothly it went, and Brehon was surprisingly forthcoming.
Photo
New Frontier
Mar 10 2012 12:46 AM
Deinos is a strict moralist alliance that views CN essentially how we would view RL. We refuse to abide by those who do evil acts such as bullying or extortion, and see ourselves as the lone "good guys" of CN.
Don't forget Roqism in terms of our dogma.

Also, Cheyenne, excellent post. Literally.
I hyperlinked ours in the OP as a truth to power dogma, Roq. Whether that's what you think of it or not, I welcome your thoughts. Per the history shared last night, hopefully I have not gone all Grey Council on us.

And yes, Deinos' moralism not being mentioned shows again how much I have to learn.
A revaluation of all values: this question mark, so black, so huge that it casts a shadow over the man who puts it down — such a destiny of a task compels one to run into the sunlight at every opportunity to shake off a heavy, all-too-heavy seriousness. Every means is proper to do this; every "case" is a case of luck. Especially, war. War has always been the great wisdom of all spirits who have become too introspective, too profound; even in a wound there is the power to heal. A maxim, the origin of which I withhold from scholarly curiosity, has long been my motto:
Increscunt animi, virescit volnere virtus.
["The spirits increase, vigor grows through a wound."]

Cult of Justitia has its own principles and school of thought. It's not a codified dogma, but we advocate for justice, independence, intellectual discourse, and integrity in foreign affairs. Likewise, we fight against subjugation, extortion, and bullying.

'fighting' in this case being a metaphor for posting on the owf i assume
Photo
President Gunn
Mar 10 2012 09:22 AM

Deinos is a strict moralist alliance that views CN essentially how we would view RL. We refuse to abide by those who do evil acts such as bullying or extortion, and see ourselves as the lone "good guys" of CN.

I laughed.
Photo
Prodigal Moon
Mar 10 2012 09:37 AM

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=97918

'fighting' in this case being a metaphor for falling on one's sword i assume
Photo
Prodigal Moon
Mar 10 2012 12:50 PM

Yo dawg, I heard you like metaphors, so we made your war into a metaphor and used a metaphor for your metaphor!

Not going to derail this blog any further; it's a worthwhile topic if there are any other AA's out there that want to articulate what they believe in besides covering their asses.
Generally, I'd say sparta has a policy: don't mess with Sparta and Sparta won't mess with you.

Some people like that ideology, some don't.

http://forums.cybern...showtopic=97918

Uh, what?
You know what? I think I am asked the wrong question in the OP. I think I got it backwards. Now i think the question should be is there any alliance someone can name that DOES NOT have a dogma? Because what I am seeing now is every alliance has at least a basic dogma regarding what they'll do to survive, and most of the politically active ones (excepting those mentioned above here) also have a dogma like the NPO's. I'd posit they just don't talk about it the way the NPO or the CoJ or anyone else with a pronounced dogma does. If that's true, our problem is not lack of dogma, but lack of admitting to any dogma. Maybe this is why somuch debate is style over substance? That's the best defense mechanism?
Photo
Prodigal Moon
Mar 10 2012 11:48 PM
^ I guess it depends on whether you're looking for a basic strategy and policy, or an actual political philosophy of sorts, with values and principles. I figure everyone must have the former, whereas the latter is unfortunately rare.
Photo
Schattenmann
Mar 11 2012 03:37 PM

At the very least, we were able to fall on our own swords without Umbrella's money.
Yeah, but PM and your cartoonification of DH helped lead to it becoming a reality in a far more severe form.

I know the gpa has a dogma of neutrality at almost any cost.

I fixed it for you, Phineas.

October 2014

S M T W T F S
192021222324 25

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Categories