Here's to the Initiative

tblindparrot

The World Unity Treaty was, without a single doubt in most players minds, the greatest treaty ever to grace this game. Those of us old timers involved in it had broken the game and more or less won it without a shadow of a doubt. We ruled the world with an iron fist the likes of which would never be seen again in this game. Farewell to four years ago, or however long it was now, but we did it.

We won CyberNations.

If you were a WUT Member, please give your remarks here, in this thread

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Sandwich Controversy' timestamp='1299523003' post='2655586']
Nope, incorrect. It was a bad bloc based on fear and intimidation, full of conflicting personalities doomed to tear each other apart. The only people who still look fondly on those days are people from \m/; desperate to be able to feel successful at one point in their miserable existence.
[/quote]
Nah, we won the game then got bored. I was no in \m/ because they were one of our puppets who attacked whoever we told them to. Classic stuff

[quote name='KingEsus' timestamp='1299523305' post='2655593']
What prompted this?

The treaty was announced on the 15th December 2007, so this isn't even an anniversary.
[/quote]
I came back today and remembered that the WUT was the one time in the many years of this game where CyberNations has been comprehensively 'won' by very, very few players.

[quote name='tblindparrot' timestamp='1299523370' post='2655595']
I came back today and remembered that the WUT was the one time in the many years of this game where CyberNations has been comprehensively 'won' by very, very few players.
[/quote]

Well ok.

But the game clearly wasn't 'won', as the Initiative fell, and it didn't even take that long. Less than a year.

I got the date wrong it was 2006.

[quote name='KingEsus' timestamp='1299523616' post='2655602']
Well ok.

But the game clearly wasn't 'won', as the Initiative fell, and it didn't even take that long. Less than a year.

I got the date wrong it was 2006.
[/quote]
It didn't fall. We got bored of it and tore it down for fun. If you were here right after Great War III you know that it was comprehensively won.

no, it had structural integrity issues from the beginning, plus major personality clashes between the people in charge. It could never have lasted long, too much depended on people of strong will and ambition agreeing with each other.

EDIT: the lasting contribution of the Initiative wasn't that it showed it was possible to [i]win[/i] the game, but that it showed it was possible to [i]dominate[/i] the game. It was the first time power in CN went from being multipolar/bipolar to unipolar. Ultimately, you could view the year and a half of CN that came after the unjust war as being some of the architects of the Initiative trying to build as a longterm prospect what the Initiative created in the short term. Whether they learned the [i]right[/i] lessons or not, I can't say.

Edited by Lamuella

[quote name='Lamuella' timestamp='1299524244' post='2655618']
no, it had structural integrity issues from the beginning, plus major personality clashes between the people in charge. It could never have lasted long, too much depended on people of strong will and ambition agreeing with each other.

EDIT: the lasting contribution of the Initiative wasn't that it showed it was possible to [i]win[/i] the game, but that it showed it was possible to [i]dominate[/i] the game. It was the first time power in CN went from being multipolar/bipolar to unipolar. Ultimately, you could view the year and a half of CN that came after the unjust war as being some of the architects of the Initiative trying to build as a longterm prospect what the Initiative created in the short term. Whether they learned the [i]right[/i] lessons or not, I can't say.
[/quote]
Fair enough but at the very least we can all admit, at least on the winning side, it was very very fun.

Also Lamuella I don't know if you saw but I wanted to say hi. I'm Ssipsonia/Francisco Franco from LW, miss those days way to much

[quote name='tblindparrot' timestamp='1299521101' post='2655554']
The World Unity Treaty was, without a single doubt in most players minds, the greatest treaty ever to grace this game.
[/quote]

Counterpoint: The Doom House Accords

And yeah I guess the novelty of it was fun for a few months but by the time Great War 3 ended, I was already guessing which member would get thrown out first. Superblocs are bad and unworkable. Anybody who thinks they are a good idea needs to bone up on their history.

Edited by Chief Savage Man

Seeing as people are still jockeying for position and have been doing so since the creation of the world, it is impossible to say that anyone has 'won' the fight for control of Planet Bob.

For some reason, trying to determine which bloc has 'won' reminds me of a cruel, tasteless joke about what's better than winning a gold medal in the Special Olympics.

Nope, incorrect. It was a bad bloc based on fear and intimidation, full of conflicting personalities doomed to tear each other apart. The only people who still look fondly on those days are people from \m/; desperate to be able to feel successful at one point in their miserable existence.
[/quote]
It [i]was[/i] fun though.

[quote]We ruled the world with an iron fist the likes of which would never be seen again in this game. [/quote]
Until the bloc that came right after it. And then there was almost another superbloc right after Q. I think they're inevitable in CN and do make the game a bit boring, but watching them fall apart is one of the more interesting aspects of the game.

Also you can't win CN, but WUT certainly had a good run.

[/quote]
Sounds damn familier

/cant sleep, Pacifica will roll me

[quote name='wickedj' timestamp='1299533406' post='2655739']
Sounds damn familier

/cant sleep, Pacifica will roll me
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. Always amusing when people miss the irony in their own words.

That and Chief Sausage Man's premature evaluation over Doomhouse.

Edited by Tygaland

WUT ruled for a time than ripped itself up in the Green Civil War, the Unjust War, and the WoTC. Continuum and One Vision rose from its ashes and ruled until they tore themselves up in Karma and TOP-CNG. Now we have SuperGrievances, Pandora's Box and Doom House. They've ruled since Karma/TOP-CNG or so and will rule until they tear themselves up. These dates are all approximate as it's hard to say exactly when the groups' periods of leadership began and ended.

I don't believe that alliances or blocs have ever fallen because of something someone outside did. Outside circumstances can be stressors, sure, but the it's internal issues that do the real damage.

And actually, as I was writing this, this analogy occurred to me: Doomhouse is to Pandora's Box as One Vision was to Continuum. I think that's about right.

Edited by Duncan King

[quote name='Duncan King' timestamp='1299534340' post='2655760']
WUT ruled for a time than ripped itself up in the Green Civil War, the Unjust War, and the WoTC. Continuum and One Vision rose from its ashes and ruled until they tore themselves up in Karma and TOP-CNG. Now we have SuperGrievances, Pandora's Box and Doom House. They've ruled since TOP-CNG or so and will rule until they tear themselves up.

I don't believe that alliances or blocs have ever fallen because of something someone outside did. Outside circumstances can be stressors, sure, but the it's internal issues that do the real damage.

And actually, as I was writing this, this analogy occurred to me: Doomhouse is to Pandora's Box as One Vision was to Continuum. I think that's about right.
[/quote]
Q was around for months before WoTC.

[/quote]

As a Triumvir of \m/ I gave the last official speech in its defense and more or less called upon NPO to meet its obligations under the treaty. Moo and Co. went another direction.

Was it the best treaty ever? Hell no. There was no exit clause and those who wished to exit that didn't have "Order" in their name (or had the initials GGA, which was the same thing) met an unfortunate accident as they left the Don's estate.

That said, there was a time when if your alliance was a member of the Initiative you slept very well at night and made the rules up as you went along. There have been other imitators, some came close, but no one equaled it.

Let's not do it again shall we? <_<

WUT, for all its flaws, was the first successful megabloc. That has to count for something.

[/quote]
Good thing we don't have blocs like that anymore.

-Bama

[quote name='tblindparrot' timestamp='1299523702' post='2655605']
It didn't fall. We got bored of it and tore it down for fun. If you were here right after Great War III you know that it was comprehensively won.
[/quote]

VE leaving and CIS leaving wasn't due to "boredom".