Return of the lulz

Unko Kalaikz

[quote name='Lezrahi' timestamp='1286183007' post='2474095']
Everyone accuses everyone of doing that. It's like the NPO's version of the [OOC]IC/OOC[/OOC] line.
[/quote]

Ironically, it's kinda hard for them to do so, cause the creator of it is vlad. heh. Francoism is technically what vlad says.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Kalasin' timestamp='1286183168' post='2474099']
Ironically, it's kinda hard for them to do so, cause the creator of it is vlad. heh. Francoism is technically what vlad says.
[/quote]

[i]Lezrahi sighed.[/i]

Heh...sometimes, I feel as if I am the only one who gets that.

[quote name='Lezrahi' timestamp='1286183267' post='2474100']
[i]Lezrahi sighed.[/i]

Heh...sometimes, I feel as if I am the only one who gets that.
[/quote]

It's a good code to follow but it's always been flexible. It pretty much boils down to "honor and what's good for pacifica".

[quote name='Unko Kalaikz' timestamp='1286001679' post='2472034']
You misunderstand. I never denied the presence of pride, having faced it as a former enemy of the Order; indeed that is the key weakness that the Enemy seized upon. Even Francoists are human and have human failings, after all, but we also learn and strive to put aside base emotions in favor of realism and applied materialism.
[/quote]

No, you misunderstand. "Pride" has nothing to do with this, you arent even close to the field. What I am talking about is corruption and chaos. Pacifica preached the gospel of order with her mouth but with her hands even as she imported and nurtured the forces of chaos. Pacifica posed as the righteous champion of order yet by her actions proved herself to be the exact opposite, not once but over and over again, which is why at this point no one with two functioning brain cells gives any credibility to anything she says.

Pride? If y'all had any pride you would have already died of shame.

[quote name='Earogema' timestamp='1286308248' post='2476169']
Vox was hardly lulz. Schatt is very srs, I'm borderline. Starfox is Mr. srs. RV, Cheyenne, Moridin, CZ (okay you have me there), Brookbank? Doitzel, and even Electron sponge?

I mean, dude.

CSM is lulz scum though.
[/quote]

RV is total "lulz"...who are you trying to kid? :mellow:

[quote name='Unko Kalaikz' timestamp='1286084959' post='2472819']
One other point not addressed to anyone in particular, I remember someone who had the mistaken idea that Pacifica somehow destroyed "free speech," whatever that is. I would refer anyone with such a point of view to [url="http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/On_Free_Speech"]On Free Speech[/url] by Comrade Zhadum.
[/quote]

Well, if you continue bringing up things like that, chances are that people will get fed up with you and take your right to speak away. Then perhaps you'll understand what it is :) .

[quote name='Earogema' timestamp='1286320255' post='2476441']
OOC: RV is lulz in a different way. His character is serious obviously

IC: You will regret those words.
[/quote]

OOC: I get a sense that he's actually Steven Wright when I read his posts.

IC: I regret nothing but the missing color tags. :(

[quote name='Trikoupis' timestamp='1286311632' post='2476234']
Well, if you continue bringing up things like that, chances are that people will get fed up with you and take your right to speak away. Then perhaps you'll understand what it is :) .
[/quote]

I have no "right to speech;" I simply have the power to speak as I do without unacceptable consequences.

[quote name='Earogema' timestamp='1286308248' post='2476169']
Vox was hardly lulz. Schatt is very srs, I'm borderline. Starfox is Mr. srs. RV, Cheyenne, Moridin, CZ (okay you have me there), Brookbank? Doitzel, and even Electron sponge?

I mean, dude.

CSM is lulz scum though.
[/quote]

Vox needed one, right?

My occasional incidents didn't hurt THAT bad.

OP post reminds me of the pre-war NPO speeches... Somehow i can smell the cow.

[quote]warmongers, schemers[/quote] aren't this the words, that describe NPO before the Karma war at it's best? And oh well, seems nothing has changed...

[quote]Pacifica was the standard bearer of Order[/quote]what order are you referring exactly to? The order of the puppet master?

[quote]I simply have the power to speak as I do without unacceptable consequences [/quote] - you are saying that there is power needed to post crap stated in the OP?

Come on, you should know by now, that these type of rhetoric is something you expect from a alliance such as NPO. I don't know about how long you have been around in CN(and i don't care), but "return of the lulz" type of thingies are so translucent and don't have any influence on people. Meaning you mast do much better than that.

Edited by Fadeev

[quote name='Unko Kalaikz' timestamp='1286430798' post='2477794']
I have no "right to speech;" I simply have the power to speak as I do without unacceptable consequences.
[/quote]

Logic fail. What do you think [i]gives[/i] you the "power" to speak? If you didn't have that right, you wouldn't be allowed to use that power.

Just remember, when you're trying to argue with someone, don't cut off your own nose to spite the other person's face. [img]http://forums.cybernations.net/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif[/img]

[quote name='Solaris' timestamp='1286473616' post='2478009']
I think the OP reminds me of the topic. Quite lulzy indeed, wouldn't you concur?
[/quote]

Well changed few things to make it more clear, although i think you did the message without the correction.

[quote name='snibbmaster' timestamp='1286474590' post='2478016']
Logic fail. What do you think [i]gives[/i] you the "power" to speak? If you didn't have that right, you wouldn't be allowed to use that power.

Just remember, when you're trying to argue with someone, don't cut off your own nose to spite the other person's face. [img]http://forums.cybernations.net/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif[/img]
[/quote]

My power to speak stems from my physical ability to do so and my defensive security against retaliation.

What is "the right to speech" in your view? I never really understood the concept (ooc)even in real life, there are consequences to saying stupid things. Sometimes deadly ones(/ooc)

[quote name='Unko Kalaikz' timestamp='1286505374' post='2478455']
My power to speak stems from my physical ability to do so and my defensive security against retaliation.

What is "the right to speech" in your view? I never really understood the concept (ooc)even in real life, there are consequences to saying stupid things. Sometimes deadly ones(/ooc)
[/quote]

Of course there are consequences to speech. Nonetheless, free speech is a right, and in civilised society no one is subjected to organised violence merely for expressing an opinion, however objectionable that opinion may be, or who it may offend. This is really basic, fundamental stuff. A society where everyone feels free to express themselves without fear or censorship is a society where communication is possible, and to a large degree the reverse is true as well. "Undesirable speech" is not a problem, but a symptom of a problem. Censorship, whether real or implied (where people censor themselves out of fear) merely suppresses the symptoms temporarily, allowing the underlying condition to fester and grow.

You talk about people wanting a return to war and this day and age being less prosperous than when NPO was in charge. I think that’s a bit of a fallacy given there were regular beat downs of alliance back when the NPO ruled the roost and the only people who had guaranteed success were the NPO's allies. In fact your very statement of lulzy alliances getting beat down surely made Planet Bob less prosperous as it reduced the number of nations to trade and tech deal with (most alliances on the end of a serious beat down by NPO and friends ending up paying reps for ages styming their growth and interactions with other nations and alliances and also generally had membership drops). I for one fully support more lulzy alliances as they keep things interesting, I might not agree with GOONs stance but I'm happy someone is being controversial (also having looked over their mercy board terms they seem more like a bit of fun that if people took in the manner they were meant could be quite entertaining).

[quote name='Uncle B' timestamp='1286657655' post='2479841']
You talk about people wanting a return to war and this day and age being less prosperous than when NPO was in charge. I think that’s a bit of a fallacy given there were regular beat downs of alliance back when the NPO ruled the roost and the only people who had guaranteed success were the NPO's allies.[/quote]

From the perspective of an average ruler, I would say it is awesome to have that opportunity to select a number of diverse alliances that provide "guaranteed success" as you put it.

[quote]In fact your very statement of lulzy alliances getting beat down surely made Planet Bob less prosperous as it reduced the number of nations to trade and tech deal with (most alliances on the end of a serious beat down by NPO and friends ending up paying reps for ages styming their growth and interactions with other nations and alliances and also generally had membership drops).[/quote]

I think as recent history has proven, Pacifica was not the sole force to demand long term reparations from defeated alliances. The idea of nations or their rulers being "forced" from the world is absurd as well; I am a living example of how.

Lulzmeisters being "forced" from the planet being a bad thing is like saying that incarcerating your nations most heinous criminals is a bad thing for your economy. Just no.

[quote]Of course there are consequences to speech. Nonetheless, free speech is a right, and in civilised society no one is subjected to organised violence merely for expressing an opinion, however objectionable that opinion may be, or who it may offend. This is really basic, fundamental stuff. A society where everyone feels free to express themselves without fear or censorship is a society where communication is possible, and to a large degree the reverse is true as well. "Undesirable speech" is not a problem, but a symptom of a problem. Censorship, whether real or implied (where people censor themselves out of fear) merely suppresses the symptoms temporarily, allowing the underlying condition to fester and grow.[/quote]

Sigrun, what is your definition of "rights" and "civilization" and how do they work?

The use of the term lulz is frowned on because it's an artificial neologism coined by nerdy losers at Encyclopedia Dramatica. It says something about their character when they have to put a label on an ethos that by nature detests abstraction and thus labels.

But generally speaking, your rivals at Super Aggrieved Box tend to be anarchic and libertarian. They have lives, and they enjoy their lives, and have no need of setting up a pseudo-intellectual cult in a browser game to fill a certain emptiness. One benefit of this is that the new world system is fundamentally different from the old; no one here has need to generate artificial wars in order to entertain their members and keep them virile. If our positions were reversed, you surely would have started an incident somewhere to snipe off SAB alliances and force the others into your hierarchical world system with Pacifica at the top.

Edited by Instr

[quote name='Unko Kalaikz' timestamp='1287031855' post='2484204']
Sigrun, what is your definition of "rights" and "civilization" and how do they work?
[/quote]

Rights are a consequence of the type of animal we are - one with the capability of thought and self-direction, which must be allowed to think and to choose if it is to actualise. Civilisation is a relative thing, a progression from simply killing each other whenever convenient to a society structured around sustainable, consensual economics and relations, or more simply, a matter of general respect for the rights of others.

[quote name='Instr' timestamp='1287061763' post='2484409']
The use of the term lulz is frowned on because it's an artificial neologism coined by nerdy losers at Encyclopedia Dramatica. [/quote]

Never heard of this ED, is it in Francograd?

Actually lulz is a word in my native tongue, from åld-æsirska 'lawlz' meaning law or code. I have wondered for some time why y'all keep opposing law and order, when most use them almost as synonyms.

[quote]They have lives, and they enjoy their lives, and have no need of setting up a pseudo-intellectual cult in a browser game to fill a certain emptiness.
[/quote]

I must say I have no idea what you are on about here, smoking something strong are we? :rolleyes:

Edited by Sigrun Vapneir