Return of the lulz

Unko Kalaikz

With the fall of the Continuum and the achievement of Vox's goals we have witnessed the return of something many casual observers did not anticipate. In the old Order before the onset of the dark ages almost all "lulz" alliances had become untenable and either were destroyed or disbanded. The more lulzy the alliance the quicker the demise. This is quite natural; as global society develops alliances which follow Francoist principles (in name or otherwise) prosper while those with inconsistent or absent philosophies tend to flounder. An exception to this could be Mushroom Kingdom, which of course benefited from former Pacifican officers who were raised in a Francoist environment.

In fact the eradication and decline of lulz was in a way too successful. Vox Populi, which was a movement mostly lead by a combination of lulz remnants and ambitious outcasts, managed to successfully convince the world that order and civilization was a [i]bad[/i] thing. Despite the fact that the Continuum ushered in an age of unprecedented prosperity and peace, many reminisced for the days of war, glory and conquest, when leaders proved their merit on the battlefield rather than the office. [i]Stagnant[/i] became the new description of world affairs.

In hindsight we can see just how right Vladimir was in describing the Voxian ideology as [url="http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/Despotic_Primitivism"]"despotic primitivism,"[/url] considering that the movements popular appeal was based upon romanticization of earlier, primitive eras in history and a rejection of order and civilization. As comrade Vladimir noted:

[quote]These [Vox Populi founders] names are significant for their place in relation to the existing structures on Planet Bob before they became founders; namely, the majority of them had been rejected and come to exist outside of said structure. We can begin therefore to understand their opposition to it – it is the environment in which they failed to survive.[/quote]

Why did they fail to survive? Quite simply, because of a rejection of the principles of civilization. They were warmongers, schemers, or lulzmeisters who were unable to adapt to an ordered world; so their motivation was simple and practical: destabilize the world to a point where they could thrive, at the expense of everyone else. And as we see with the Karma war, they have largely succeeded.

What do we have today as a result? Political instability, the return of tech raiding, reformation of lulz alliances like GOONS and \m/. The world is still a long way off to economically recovering to prewar levels. We have indeed returned to a more primitive state of affairs, just as the warlords and lulzmeisters intended. This chaotic state of affairs drags all alliances closer to the state of nature and retards growth and development in all fields. This state of affairs is cherished by the (philosophically) chaos-embracing alliances.

Which nicely ties to the next point. Many wonder why Mushroom Kingdom and other alliances ally with GOONS. After all, they are physically insignificant, not even ranking amongst the top twenty alliances. They are poorly organized and relatively close to the state of nature, with inadequate leadership and poor discipline in the ranks, as demonstrated by Schattenman recently in his article [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=92632"]Institutional Anarchy.[/url] Yet they seem to be the standardbearer of the forces of chaos, just as Pacifica was the standardbearer of Order in the days of prosperity and reason.

Which is exactly why they are sheltered and defended by MK and others. GOONS is such a terrible alliance that it is the perfect poster boy for the dark ages; engaged in barbaric tech raiding, a complete lack of intellectual substance, and a level of lulz that puts banned member to shame. For those who fight against Order and progress GOONS is the alliance to aspire to, with ideals of degeneracy that are impractical yet lauded all the same. Ironically their allies will not actually embrace the state of nature, because that would weaken them. Hypocrisy? I leave that to you to decide.

It is interesting to note that Ejayrazz and his Ninjas have volunteered to be the frontlines against lulz and chaos by attacking GOONS. I believe this is simply the first tremor of popular discontent with the forces of chaos, a mass rejection of dark age mentality and a general desire to return to Order. Which will, if history is any lesson to us, inevitably occur.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ddog241' timestamp='1285825966' post='2469457']
thank god for lulz alliances! if it wasn't for lulz CN would be a very boring place
[/quote]
Its still boring. How is picking on micro alliances exciting? Lulz alliances need to get out more if that excites them. Its just more annoying to go along with the boring. There was a reason behind the saying "lulz alliances die" once you go too far again the world will remind you what that was and no new bloc will change that outcome.

Edited by Alterego

I would argue that Vox was anti-lulz. If you look at the founding members of Vox, they all seem to put time into their posts and seem very competent. I also think you'd be surprised at the amount of anti-lulz folk out there.

The only reason I am not terribly upset that GOONS has returned is that they bring more members to Planet Bob. If Bob was on the rise, than I would love to see them rolled into oblivion.

[quote name='Voytek' timestamp='1285830221' post='2469505']
Nobody actually says lulz anymore. Hope this helps.
[/quote]
This right here. Saying lulz on the GOONS forums is usually not tolerated and will get you ridiculed on IRC.

You may as well toss this entire analysis out the window because not even a shred of it is correct. We don't defend the GOONS because they are the "standardbearer of the forces of chaos" (lol). We defend them because, unlike most alliances in this game, they are not terrible.

[quote name='Unko Kalaikz' timestamp='1285825307' post='2469442']
What do we have today as a result? Political instability, [b]the return of tech raiding[/b], reformation of lulz alliances like GOONS and \m/.
[/quote]
Tech raiding never disappeared. People just have nothing better to do these days so there is more !@#$%*ing about it.

EDIT: On top of that, you really have no idea what you are going on about here.

Edited by Ryuzaki

[quote name='Unko Kalaikz' timestamp='1285825307' post='2469442']
as global society develops alliances which follow Francoist principles (in name or otherwise) prosper while those with inconsistent or absent philosophies tend to flounder. An exception to this could be Mushroom Kingdom, which of course benefited from former Pacifican officers who were raised in a Francoist environment.
[/quote]
Isn't it widely known that MK is the last bastion of true francoism?

[quote name='ktarthan' timestamp='1285835838' post='2469576']
Heads up: Ninjas are not fighting against "lulz" or "chaos". They are fighting because we asked them to, and they obliged. Don't turn their motives into part of your propaganda; they deserve better.
[/quote]
Don't... make... me... agree...

too late.

What The Ninjas are doing is responding to provocation from GOONS, as outlined in their DoW. Not fighting against "lulz alliances". Personally, I have nothing against them. There's a place for every kind of alliance to exist on Bob. The general cycle of political power on Bob will see them rise and fall. The OP, while very well written, isn't getting to the heart of the issue(s).

I'd write a wall of text about the issues that can rival the OP, but there isn't much point in it. One major problem though, I believe, is the general evolution of online gaming that results in people moving away from text/web games and onto stuff like WoW. There's nothing anyone here can do to change that. To combat that problem within alliances (people getting bored and quitting for more "intense games"), you need to bring entertainment to them. Easiest method? Bring on the "lulz"

[quote name='Kevanovia' timestamp='1285832141' post='2469529']

The only reason I am not terribly upset that GOONS has returned is that they bring more members to Planet Bob. If Bob was on the rise, than I would love to see them rolled into oblivion.
[/quote]
New nations hanging around this festering lulz zombie is not a good thing.