The Grand Association of Relics and Oldtimers

[center][size="6"][color="#FF0000"][b]The Grand Association of Relics and Oldtimers[/b][/color][/size]

[img]http://a.imageshack.us/img713/5484/garoflag2small.jpg[/img]

[size="4"][b][url=http://cn-garo.net/]Forums[/url][/b][/size] (Much thanks goes out to Dementual for helping us with these.)
IRC: #GARO[/center]

When Kevlar jokingly suggest that he and I form a new alliance called GARO, and that we bring Grenval out of retirement to head up our Foreign Affairs department, I could hardly refuse. That was about two weeks ago. In that time, we’ve quietly approached some old friends of ours whom we knew had become either inactive or bored with the game and were looking for some excitement, or at least a good laugh.

And that’s the principle upon which this alliance is being founded. The acronym for our alliance name is an homage to a satirical joke thread of Grenval’s, more than four years ago. Despite the provocative nature of the original thread (which cost GATO the Dove Doctrine MDP with NPO, incidentally), this isn’t meant as a barb toward the NPO or anyone else, but rather as an inside joke for some of us old timers. We’re laughing at ourselves and our history in this game.

And so, with that, I give you [color="#FF0000"][b]The Grand Association of Relics and Oldtimers[/b][/color].

And here is our preliminary charter. Kevlar wrote it, so blame him for anything.

[quote]Long, long ago, there lived many ancient deities dedicated to the near-forgotten art of awesome. It is said that there once existed a scroll that detailed how to obtain something greater than religious Nirvana, though not as great as Al Pacino. Countless attempts and innumerable lives have been lost in search of this Lost Treasure, the rigors of time leaving the trail dead cold. But one day it was found by a group of men of questionable moral standing. It went a little something like this:

Chris says (7:57 PM):
[color="#FF0000"][b]The SecGen is elected bi-monthly, with a running mate who shall act as deputy.
The deputy is acting-SecGen whenever the SecGen is unavailable, or leaves office. No emergency elections.[/b][/color]
Chris says (7:58 PM):
[color="#FF0000"][b]The Secretary General appoints heads of department (defense, domestic and foreign).[/b][/color]
Chris says (7:59 PM):
[color="#FF0000"][b]Each head may write up legislation, and it shall be passed into law if the SecGen doesn't veto. Membership (or senate? not sure which...maybe membership at first, add senate in when we're larger) can overturn it with a simple majority.[/b][/color]
Chris says (8:01 PM):
[color="#FF0000"][b]The judiciary will be the Secretary General, or a lifetime appointment by the SecGen.
Oh. Amendments must be a 60% supermajority.[/b][/color]
Chris says (8:04 PM):
[color="#FF0000"][b]We should also state that while the heads of department are essentially just the top advisers of the Secretary General, and the Secretary General has ultimate control over the alliance.
And I guess removal from office can be a 60% supermajority.[/b][/color]

And that’s where babies come from. [/quote]

We'll be holding our inaugural elections to coincide with the beginning of August, and so until then you can direct any questions you may have to either myself or Kevlar. We're both available on IRC.

And as our first act of business, the Grand Association would like to announce a protectorate agreement with [color="#800080"][b]United Purple Nations[/b][/color].

[quote][b]Preamble[/b]

In the spirit of good will, prosperity, and the pursuit of friendship, the United Purple Nations (UPN) and Grand Association of Relics and Oldtimers (GARO), do hereby recognize this protectorate agreement as official and agree to all terms and conditions therein, and recognize that Grand Association of Relics and Oldtimers shall be a protectorate of the the United Purple Nations until such a time that Grand Association of Relics and Oldtimers can stand independently as a sovereign alliance.

[b]Non Aggression[/b]

[i]Article I[/i] - Members of UPN and members of GARO shall show respect and courtesy towards one another. This includes a positive attitude on the CN forums as well as all other public means of communication towards third parties. Lastly, neither the UPN nor GARO shall engage in any kind of espionage or war against one another

[b]Economic Cooperation[/b]

[i]Article II[/i] - UPN will assist GARO in building a healthy economy through reasonable means. Additionally, UPN and GARO shall give preference to one another in any buying or selling of technology through official alliance programs. UPN also recognizes the GARO will remain a Red Team unless GARO, on its own, decides to change trading spheres.

[b]Unilateral and Optional Defense[/b]

[i]Article III[/i] - UPN shall protect GARO from rogue and unprovoked wars of aggression. GARO is highly encouraged, but not required, to declare on any nation and alliance attacking UPN.

[b]Intelligence[/b]

[i]Article IV[/i] - Should either UPN, or GARO, receive information of importance to one another, that information shall be communicated through private channels within 24 hours.

[b]Foreign Affairs[/b]

[i]Article V[/i] - UPN recognizes GARO is free to conduct its foreign affairs on their own accord. However, once an MDP, MDOAP, or MADP is passed, the protectorate is null and void. GARO agrees to not engage in raiding.

[b]Termination[/b]

[i]Article VI[/i] - Should GARO tech raid a purple nation, this Protectorate Pact shall become null and void immediately after a government conference involving the situation occurs. Should GARO become the aggressor in a conflict without the agreement of UPN first, then this treaty shall become null. Should GARO be involved in any asshattery as determined by the UPN government (including, but not limited to, spying and trolling), this treaty is to be declared null and void. GARO can request to drop the protectorate at any time.

If either signatory commits a grave violation of the spirit of this treaty the other reserves the right to cancel the protectorate immediately.

Signed for the [color="#FF0000"][b]Grand Association of Relics and Oldtimers[/b][/color],

Chris_Kaos, [b]Founder[/b]
Kevlar, [b]Founder[/b]
Grenval, [b]Founder[/b]

Signed for the [color="#800080"][b]United Purple Nations[/b][/color],

Peggy_Sue, [b]Prime Minister[/b]
DonVox, [b]Cabinet Minister[/b]
WarlordNazrag, [b]Cabinet Minister[/b][/quote]

Edited by Chris Kaos

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You picked a terrible alliance to protect you.

[quote name='Kevanovia' timestamp='1280290599' post='2392106']
There are a few alliances that change the course of Planet Bob forever: NPO, GATO, ODN, GGA, GPA, NAAC, LUE, Vox Populi, NSO and now....GARO.
[/quote]

Ha. Don't make me laugh.

[quote name='Das Girl' timestamp='1280290485' post='2392103']
Congratulations and welcome back old friend. I look forward to seeing your face around these parts once more. You have a good group around you already, keep up the good work!

Namaste.
[/quote]

long time no see, gato misses you :)

@Chris... good to see you back, your name has been brought up so many times...

[quote name='Das Girl' timestamp='1280290485' post='2392103']
Congratulations and welcome back old friend. I look forward to seeing your face around these parts once more. You have a good group around you already, keep up the good work!

Namaste.
[/quote]

Hey there Das :)

Yea interesting protector choice, but I like a good bit of the folks over there so congrats on a good protectorate UPN.

[quote name='Omniscient1' timestamp='1280290953' post='2392125']

Yea interesting protector choice, but I like a good bit of the folks over there so congrats on a good protectorate UPN.
[/quote]

It was the closest thing to being in the same alliance as Kevlar that I could do. I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

[quote name='Kevanovia' timestamp='1280290599' post='2392106']
There are a few alliances that [u][b]change the course of Planet Bob forever[/b][/u]: NPO, GATO, ODN, GGA, [u][b]GPA[/b][/u], NAAC, LUE, Vox Populi...
[/quote]

What?

Also, I can't say that I like your choice of protector, but it should be interesting to see some old veterans from before my time back in action. Good luck to you guys.

Edited by LegendoftheSkies

[quote name='Omniscient1' timestamp='1280290953' post='2392125']

[/quote]

Greetings Omniscient1.

A hard working alliance does not need a protectorate for any significant duration anyway, I have no doubt they will work hard for their success.

[quote name='Kevanovia' timestamp='1280291048' post='2392128']
It was the closest thing to being in the same alliance as Kevlar that I could do. I couldn't pass up the opportunity.
[/quote]

He does have a way with words. I wouldn't have passed it up either.

[quote name='Das Girl' timestamp='1280291141' post='2392134']
Greetings Omniscient1.

A hard working alliance does not need a protectorate for any significant duration anyway, I have no doubt they will work hard for their success.
[/quote]

How you been? I haven't seen you in forever?