Tech Cost Formula

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=843

That sticky does not have the formula for the purchase cost of tech specified anywhere. This appears to be available due to things like the following tool : http://www.mrfixitonline.com/cyber_nations/techcalculator.php

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Quigon

The tech calculator is wrong for high values of tech. But tech costs really don't matter. All you have to do is buy tech until it costs more than 3 mill for 100 tech, and then just do tech deals...

I tried to make a tech calculator, but like I said it gets horribly inefficient to buy your own tech very quickly

[quote name='Pomiel' date='12 June 2010 - 11:05 PM' timestamp='1276398301' post='2335714']
The tech calculator is wrong for high values of tech. But tech costs really don't matter. All you have to do is buy tech until it costs more than 3 mill for 100 tech, and then just do tech deals...

I tried to make a tech calculator, but like I said it gets horribly inefficient to buy your own tech very quickly
[/quote]

I wouldn't quite agree with that.

It's less cost-efficient to buy your own tech once it costs more than 3M/100, but I would still say a slightly higher rate is worth putting yourself a few weeks ahead on your tech buying.

[quote name='Lord Brendan' date='12 June 2010 - 11:18 PM' timestamp='1276399119' post='2335744']
I wouldn't quite agree with that.

It's less cost-efficient to buy your own tech once it costs more than 3M/100, but I would still say a slightly higher rate is worth putting yourself a few weeks ahead on your tech buying.
[/quote]

I agree. That's what I plan on doing

[quote name='Baldr' date='12 June 2010 - 10:55 PM' timestamp='1276404925' post='2335887']
The highest a calculator needs to be able to handle is 500 tech, which is the requirement for level 9 planes.

Buying tech directly beyond that point makes little sense.
[/quote]

I have heard it said that 1000 tech costs ~70M, buying from zero. I'd like to verify this though somehow.

The extra 500 tech there is a full month of 3M/100 tech deals - which I would say is completely worth it for a nation trying to have some chance at catching up to larger nations in tech (obviously this is impossible). Especially when 70M for that much tech is cheap (you'd have to pay 30M if you did all of it at 3M/100 anyways, and you can buy this all *instantly*).

If you don't have an MP (and if you are switching from selling tech to buying, you normally don't) then having 1000 tech instead of 500 doesn't do you much good. It raises your NS by 2500, without making you significantly stronger.

According to the tech calculator at this URL...
http://www.cn-utilities.com/TechCalculator.aspx

... buying from 0 to 1000 with gold, microchips, 2 universities, and no wonders will cost $80,706,442.12.

There are 3 wonders that lower tech costs. If you had those in addition to the above, 1,000 tech would cost $68,343,022.25.

I find it hard to imagine situations where I'd consider that a good option, and all of them involve nations with a very, very large warchest who are rebuilding after having been beat down to ZI and ZT.

[quote name='Baldr' date='15 June 2010 - 07:12 PM' timestamp='1276643525' post='2338768']
If you don't have an MP (and if you are switching from selling tech to buying, you normally don't) then having 1000 tech instead of 500 doesn't do you much good. It raises your NS by 2500, without making you significantly stronger.

According to the tech calculator at this URL...
http://www.cn-utilities.com/TechCalculator.aspx

... buying from 0 to 1000 with gold, microchips, 2 universities, and no wonders will cost $80,706,442.12.

There are 3 wonders that lower tech costs. If you had those in addition to the above, 1,000 tech would cost $68,343,022.25.

I find it hard to imagine situations where I'd consider that a good option, and all of them involve nations with a very, very large warchest who are rebuilding after having been beat down to ZI and ZT.
[/quote]
This is correct, but I understand quigon's point and agree with him that gaining a month on nations further ahead in tech buying is more important than just buying infrastructure. It's a one time thing, since after that tech prices to up *a lot*, but all the same. If you want to catch up (at least by a month more than what you would be) this is the only way.

[quote name='iMatt' date='16 June 2010 - 10:05 PM' timestamp='1276747517' post='2340294']
This is correct, but I understand quigon's point and agree with him that gaining a month on nations further ahead in tech buying is more important than just buying infrastructure. It's a one time thing, since after that tech prices to up *a lot*, but all the same. If you want to catch up (at least by a month more than what you would be) this is the only way.
[/quote]

Right.

It sucks that there is no way possible for me to catch up to people with a lot of tech, due to how the game works. So I have to engage in "non-optimal" gameplay strategies to try to compensate for disadvantages inherent based on when I started playing to gain "back" some of the time I've lost with respect to people who have been playing 4 years (!).

There is simply not a way to overcome this barrier, because even if I play at a 100% efficiency level with aid slots, I still will have a maximum tech import of 500 (600 if I get the DRA wonder) a month. I can increase my cash/infra efficiencies through temp trading and skillful back collections, but I can never increase that tech efficiency above the standard tech import. Nor can I increase my number of wonders above one every 30 days. So it makes sense for me to do whatever I can to overcome the inherent obstacles resulting from game mechanics, instead of playing the "standard growth" game most of you had the luxury of playing, because you started months if not years ago.

OMG! People who have been playing for years have an advantage over people who just started!

I'm flabbergasted.

Quigon, you'll probably have a higher NS than me a year from now, despite me having a large head start. You're in a neutral alliance, and you may never have a war. Most of us will get beat down from time to time, spend a lot of money on war and rebuilding, lose tech that can't be replaced, etc.

[quote name='Baldr' date='17 June 2010 - 04:49 PM' timestamp='1276814979' post='2341115']
OMG! People who have been playing for years have an advantage over people who just started!
[/quote]

There are differences between permanent advantages and non-permanent advantages.

For example, a nation with 6000 infrastructure right now might be horrible at managing their trades/economy/growth and so I can catch up (well at least to some extent) via superior nation management. But if that person is good at using their aid slots, I will always be behind in tech - no matter what - unless they get destroyed or something. No matter how much "better" I am at nation management, I cannot catch up to them in tech b/c of the inherent age dependencies.

Maybe I should just hope for a global war as you say then =P

[quote name='quigon jinn' date='20 June 2010 - 11:28 AM' timestamp='1277044072' post='2343744']
Maybe I should just hope for a global war as you say then =P
[/quote]
You kind of just missed one :P But being in GPA will help you in that respect. One thing to keep in mind is not nearly everyone uses their aid slots efficiently, so you've got a 1 up on them.

another way you can help get ahead is to do donations and sell donations. if you sell donations you can increase to 750 (900 with DRA) tech a month by having people funnel tech straight to your nation in exchange for the donation deal. Using the donation deal on yourself back to back (end of June/start of July) will also help you catch up. There will still be nations who do all this and you will stand little chance to catch up to them; but doing this will help you easily reach the top 5% and then into the top 3% or even 1%. The flip side id donations use RL cash so you need to weigh the options and decide if using real money to provide in-game advantages are going to be worth it or not.