Ask a GATO MoFA anything

[quote name='Skippy' date='10 April 2010 - 01:48 AM' timestamp='1270889280' post='2255322']
What is GATO/Your thoughts on IAA's new protectorate?
[/quote]

Any friend of IAA's is a friend of ours. Unless of course they aren;t friends of ours in which case i'd convince Chim that they were in turn no friends of IAA's. eh? Eh?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Venizelos' date='10 April 2010 - 05:31 AM' timestamp='1270902687' post='2255391']
why do you still have that PIAT?
[/quote]

It's not hurting anyone. The moment [i]that[/i] PIAT starts being detrimental then maybe we decide it's of no use anymore but for now we're fine with it.

[quote name='Kindom of Goon' date='10 April 2010 - 06:08 AM' timestamp='1270904895' post='2255421']
Is there anything you would change on Brown?

What is your ideal future for Brown?

How would you evaluate the current relationships on brown?
[/quote]

I'd love to see us all working together economically in an organized fashion regardless of our differences.

I'd like to see us add a few more alliances but that is probably asking for too much these days.

Better than most people realize.

[quote name='magicninja' date='10 April 2010 - 07:57 AM' timestamp='1270904235' post='2255410']
The same way we did last time of course. :ehm:

Oh man that was awful. :smug:
[/quote]
That was bloody genius.

Now, of course, we'll have to destroy you first. :awesome:

[quote name='magicninja' date='09 April 2010 - 12:32 PM' timestamp='1270834341' post='2254427']
We like any alliance that rolls with democracy as it's gov. You got some alright allies in there too. I like CCC and NV for the most part. I like Zenith because of DK. I don't think Anu Drake thinks much of GATO so I can't say we see eye to eye with NATO. NADC has gotten better since the ECIV days. Not too bad I guess.
[/quote]
Seems you touched on the subject but I wanted to ask again, what does GATO think of the NADC?

[quote name='BlkAK47002' date='10 April 2010 - 05:20 PM' timestamp='1270937988' post='2255846']
GATO is one of the oldest alliances in the game, I'm curious as to how you foreign relations affairs have changed betwen then and now?
[/quote]
I'm gonna step in for the moment and provide an answer to this. Magic is free to answer as well.

As someone who has been involved in the Foreign Affairs Ministry since just after GW3 in many different leadership positions, I wanted to speak specifically to this question.

I see GATO as being steady of voice in this world. We may not be in the OWF all the time, but in our embassies and on IRC we are connecting with others and building friendships and making ourselves available to help solve issues that may come up with our friends/allies. We have only been out of the Viceroy era for almost a year now so in essence we are a semi-new alliance with 4 years of experience in many respects that provided us with a clean slate to start with for the newer generation but still working to show ourselves changed for the older generation. The post-Viceroy era has brought about a new paradigm/philosophy within GATO and our FA dept especially. In short:

[indent]The 1V War and subsequent Viceroy era is a hinge-point in GATO's history. Prior to the war, our FA philosophy centered around easing tensions with WUT/UJP/tC/1V/NPO and allies and making friends that shared our ideals and would defend us should/when we were attacked again. Most of the questions in the election debates for MoFA at that time centered around building/repairing relations with said alliances and who could we ally with.

Now post 1V war & Viceroy era, our FA philosophy has changed in that we don't have to worry about NPO as our relations are cordial. So we can really focus our FA efforts on building solid, true friendships - not just allies but friends. This change in philosophy has upped the responsibility of our ambassadors to truly see if their assignments are a good fit for GATO and have allowed us to have good, thorough Q & A times to really get to know people.[/indent]

[quote name='Emporor' date='10 April 2010 - 06:34 PM' timestamp='1270938833' post='2255859']
Here is a good question! Who is the coolest protectorate GATO has ever had? :P
[/quote]
pretty clearly us. :v:

[quote name='Laserwolf' date='10 April 2010 - 07:59 PM' timestamp='1270943946' post='2255919']
I'm gonna step in for the moment and provide an answer to this. Magic is free to answer as well.

As someone who has been involved in the Foreign Affairs Ministry since just after GW3 in many different leadership positions, I wanted to speak specifically to this question.

I see GATO as being steady of voice in this world. We may not be in the OWF all the time, but in our embassies and on IRC we are connecting with others and building friendships and making ourselves available to help solve issues that may come up with our friends/allies. We have only been out of the Viceroy era for almost a year now so in essence we are a semi-new alliance with 4 years of experience in many respects that provided us with a clean slate to start with for the newer generation but still working to show ourselves changed for the older generation. The post-Viceroy era has brought about a new paradigm/philosophy within GATO and our FA dept especially. In short:

[indent]The 1V War and subsequent Viceroy era is a hinge-point in GATO's history. Prior to the war, our FA philosophy centered around easing tensions with WUT/UJP/tC/1V/NPO and allies and making friends that shared our ideals and would defend us should/when we were attacked again. Most of the questions in the election debates for MoFA at that time centered around building/repairing relations with said alliances and who could we ally with.

Now post 1V war & Viceroy era, our FA philosophy has changed in that we don't have to worry about NPO as our relations are cordial. So we can really focus our FA efforts on building solid, true friendships - not just allies but friends. This change in philosophy has upped the responsibility of our ambassadors to truly see if their assignments are a good fit for GATO and have allowed us to have good, thorough Q & A times to really get to know people.[/indent]
[/quote]
Let me start by saying I really appreciate someone with your knowledge and experience coming out to answer my question.

It sounds like GATO will be one of the major mediators in upcoming events due to the age and status of your alliance. It's foreign affairs people like you that keep idiotic conflicts like this one from breaking out. I'm hoping GATO will help quell the uprising of the egotistical alliances that run amok today. I've never known much about GATO but from my experience so far you guys seem all right and I'm curious to see the impact that you'll have in the future.

Regardless you'll be hearing from us soon :)

Edited by BlkAK47002

[quote name='Emporor' date='10 April 2010 - 05:34 PM' timestamp='1270938833' post='2255859']
[/quote]

[quote name='Auctor' date='10 April 2010 - 08:53 PM' timestamp='1270950816' post='2256005']
pretty clearly us. :v:
[/quote]

I'm trying to figure out if ican answer that but hesitant to touch it. (see what I did thar?? :P)

[quote name='Mr Damsky' date='10 April 2010 - 08:44 PM' timestamp='1270950237' post='2255999']
In the future, do you see GATO attempting to assert itself as a dominant world player?
[/quote]

I would like to see us stepping up more and I understand it does start with myself. While my personality and preference is set more for IRC chats, I see GATO beginning to be more assertive.

[quote name='Laserwolf' date='10 April 2010 - 10:34 PM' timestamp='1270953225' post='2256029']
I'm trying to figure out if ican answer that but hesitant to touch it. (see what I did thar?? :P)
[/quote]

Lol, well you know its ICAN!!! :P

[quote name='magicninja' date='11 April 2010 - 12:00 AM' timestamp='1270904425' post='2255414']
Any friend of IAA's is a friend of ours. Unless of course they aren;t friends of ours in which case i'd convince Chim that they were in turn no friends of IAA's. eh? Eh?
[/quote]
I think you just blew my mind Magicninja

[quote name='magicninja' date='10 April 2010 - 09:02 AM' timestamp='1270904525' post='2255417']
It's not hurting anyone. The moment [i]that[/i] PIAT starts being detrimental then maybe we decide it's of no use anymore but for now we're fine with it.
[/quote]

I'd like to think Lasterwolf's longer answer is a better description of our relationship. During the Viceroyship, much bad was done, but a lot of us, GATOans and Pacificans alike, did a lot of good together and formed relationships that last to this day. I'm very happy to have our PIAT and to continue to have excellent relations with the Global Alliance.

[quote name='BlkAK47002' date='10 April 2010 - 03:20 PM' timestamp='1270937988' post='2255846']
GATO is one of the oldest alliances in the game, I'm curious as to how you foreign relations affairs have changed betwen then and now?
[/quote]

I can only offer my observations for the time I've known GATO. When I first joined GATO (and CN) It was just after they completed terms from GWIII. Then GATO was almost viewed as a sort black death FA wise. I remember it being very tough to find people who would treaty us and we were being pretty cautious from our end as well so we weren't doing very well in terms of FA. However our IA was doing very well and GATO got up to around 600 members and regained sanction and in between there we had started to make a few steps in FA even joining in a bloc. Today things are a lot easier imo. We've made some great friends and the stigma of those days is nearly gone with only a handful of members carrying a grudge fromthe old GW/WAE days.

All in all I think we're doing as well as we ever have on the FA front.

[quote name='Emporor' date='10 April 2010 - 03:34 PM' timestamp='1270938833' post='2255859']
[/quote]

I call entrapment but yeah you guys have been pretty good. NFL was also a good protectorate.