Under-Rated Alliance Leaders

WalkerNinja

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CN is full of under-rated leaders. Here's a few that I've worked with.

empirica: One of the best leaders in this game, period.

ZBaldwin: He has a decent amount of recognition as Regent of Polaris, but his work in the Internal Affairs department was nothing short of amazing. IA guys really don't get much foreign recognition of course.

Jphillips: He has decent recognition in Polar as a Financial leader, but his work as a diplomat is often unknown. The guy is just plain good.

Grenvel: Best Propagandist ever.

Anyway, those are the ones that stick out in my mind. There's tons more I'm sure.

We're talking about underrated players :)

Steelrat gets all the fame he deserves (and rightfully so)

I would have put him down as underrated myself, his name was often brought up tangentially in Gramlins discussions for a long time since you had so many other names the eclipsed him.

(perhaps I'm a little biased, he always answered my PMs with a fidelity that made me feel special)

Jphillips: He has decent recognition in Polar as a Financial leader, but his work as a diplomat is often unknown. The guy is just plain good.

As a financial leader, I have nothing but respect for his diplomatic work.

I would have put him down as underrated myself, his name was often brought up tangentially in Gramlins discussions for a long time since you had so many other names the eclipsed him.

(perhaps I'm a little biased, he always answered my PMs with a fidelity that made me feel special)

I already put him on my list in the other thread, so back off. :P

A lot of the alliance leadership positions really shouldn't need to be "big name" people. If you're in charge of any variety of internal processes it really doesn't matter how popular or famous you are outside of your alliance. Most of our best organizers, financiers, generals and other positions that deal with internal affairs never achieve recognition outside of our boards because they are too busy working hard to socialize with the rest of you. When I see a list filled to the brim with famous people and type A personalities that the starstruck suggester probably has never interacted with on any level to make a fair judgment, I chuckle to myself at how much of a disaster that alliance would be. Not only would most of those leaders be unable to tolerate the others for more than a few days, but they'd be such a mixed bag of political preferences, contacts, loyalties and approaches to foreign policy that the alliance would collapse in on itself internally even as the rest of the world fell madly in love with them.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Many of the best players in the game receive little to no recognition outside of their own alliance. To use an example from my own alliance - Thaliak.

Kryievla is pretty underrated outside of the Purple sphere. MK has an absurd amount of underrated players who dont get the praise they observe. Basically, if you are MK gov, you are the best at what you do regardless of whether your name is "Archon." (Not that Archon isnt anazing)

I was fearing someone would invoque the "Except potato" clause. It took 10 minutes :(

Except Potato.

I refuse to believe he's the best at anything.

Isnt Heracles FA not IA?

and, agreed

Well now I suppose he would be but he was the best IA person Atlantis had, and he started off as IA leader in Kronos. I would choose him for IA out of anybody in CN :)

Edited by Drai

A.S.F.W. Long gone now (or retired under another name, not sure), but his IA skills helped forge a band of new players into a legit alliance, and with no prior information or advice on nation building, created a very efficient aidfall system for its time.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Many of the best players in the game receive little to no recognition outside of their own alliance. To use an example from my own alliance - Thaliak.

Indeed. The vast majority of people with skill in IA/Econ don't get widespread recognition regardless of how skilled they are. Military is a bit better because of the number of people that like to tout the military genius of themselves or others, but even there it pales in comparison to the people who work in FA or lead the alliance. Fame has more to do with being the public face of an alliance, and an alliance of spokesmen is going to have some difficulty functioning optimally.