Moon Hotspot

AirMe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

marker2 = new GMarker(new GLatLng(-83.44032649527307,-99.140625),{icon:iconType,draggable: false});

marker3 = new GMarker(new GLatLng(-83.4803661137381,-113.5986328125),{icon:iconType,draggable: false});

Gives 80%.

As it is difficult to determine the longitude and latitude simultaneously, the next player might want to try the same latitude, and change the longitude only.

Latitude: the same as before. -83.44032649527307

Longitude: some where to the left, perhaps -170.000 something.

Edited by suryanto tan

This moon location just got me 90%

marker3 = new GMarker(new GLatLng(-55.07836723201513,77.87109375),{icon:iconType,draggable: false});

I got 88% with this Moon location,

marker2 = new GMarker(new GLatLng(-51.17934297928927,77.34375),{icon:iconType,draggable: false});

Edited by Big Richard

This moon location just got me 90%

marker3 = new GMarker(new GLatLng(-55.07836723201513,77.87109375),{icon:iconType,draggable: false});

I got 88% with this Moon location,

marker2 = new GMarker(new GLatLng(-51.17934297928927,77.34375),{icon:iconType,draggable: false});

These coord sets with the claimed efficiencies seem way off, i have no idea.

septemberhotspotxb82.jpg

Got 91% by going a bit south of the circle a few posts back.

-56.07836723201513,77.87109375 is what I was shooting for, how do I tell my exact lat / longitude from the CN view?

http://www.cybernations.net/national_wonde...p;Location=Moon

Edited by Danielg42

Got 91% by going a bit south of the circle a few posts back.

-56.07836723201513,77.87109375 is what I was shooting for, how do I tell my exact lat / longitude from the CN view?

http://www.cybernations.net/national_wonde...p;Location=Moon

This post shows how to exactly find your coordinates :

Post No.59

These coord sets with the claimed efficiencies seem way off, i have no idea.

septemberhotspotxb82.jpg

Mm, thanks for the graph.

Do they really seem so far off? The hotspot is closer to the south pole than usual, so everything in the south will be fairly close. The entire bottom line of the graph will fold in on itself.

As far as calculations go, does anyone have the best clue how to triangulate?

Anyone have a guess as to how to triangulate?

I was thinking this, below, but it's got the following problems...

(x1-xr)^2+(y1-yr)^2=(AR)^2

(x2-xr)^2+(y2-yr)^2=(BR)^2

(x3-xr)^2+(y3-yr)^2=(CR)^2

Where x1 is the x coordinate, y1 is the y coordinate of base 1. xr and yr are the actual coordinates of the hot spot. R is the radius of the hotspot's influence, or something... A, B, C are just the efficiency modifiers, so like 76% efficiency is = (0.76R)^2

Since 50% is zero, we might also be looking at A = (efficiency - 50) * 2. So that might also be tried. 76% would really be 52% if the scale goes from 50-100.

More likely, the whole thing is wrong since A, B, and C are non linear anyway (the efficiencies), and we need another formula for determining those.

That, and the problem of the coordinates being on a sphere. This above formula is assuming a flat map. If all the bases are in a line of latitude at 80% and at completely random longitudes, for example, they could all be equidistant to the hotspot if it's on the north or south poles.

So there's trilateration: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilateration

And there, the problem of having three equations for 4 unknowns: x, y, z, and R.

At least this is how I see it right now...

Please offer suggestions :), especially if I missed something stupid and obvious.

This post shows how to exactly find your coordinates :

Post No.59

Thanks!

-56.704505614169356, 77.783203125 are my exact coordinates and I'm at 91%

Ok I did some drawing of my own, plotting out my point along with some of the others.

Maybe someone can try -60.4, 77.5

At worst you get close to 90.

Here's my sketch, sorry for the blurryness, phone camera.

Based on the 3 points I had, it seemed that as you get closer to the spot the area decreased by 25ish percent per efficiency percentage, so I used that to guesstimate.

moonbase.jpg

Edited by Danielg42

Unfortunatly when i was going to look at the current lat and long i sneezed and hit the left mouse button rather then the right. Oh Well anyway i got 85% in this spot towards the bottom. Hope that it helps out with the search for this month's holy grail!!

GLatLng(-81.09321385260837,146.953125
Edited by john_268

I translated the locations above to 3D and calculated the distances on the surface of the moon. Assuming that efficiency depends linearly on the distance from the hot spot (which fits well with the information of coordinates and efficiency above, with little error tolerance), I expect to find the hot spot in the area of (-81.354, 77.00565).

I've added a location indicator on the popup boxes for the Moon & Mars wonders so that you don't have to go digging through the source code to get your coordinates. Hope that helps.

thank you sir

I translated the locations above to 3D and calculated the distances on the surface of the moon. Assuming that efficiency depends linearly on the distance from the hot spot (which fits well with the information of coordinates and efficiency above, with little error tolerance), I expect to find the hot spot in the area of (-81.354, 77.00565).

my guess is the equation for the location of the hotspot is exponential. Not linear.

Golan 1st, did you say you calculated the distances to the hotspot traveling on the shortest path on the Surface of the moon, or were you traveling through the center of the moon?

shortest path on the Surface of the moon

Well, to be accurate, I checked angles between the lines connecting the center of the moon to these locations, which are proportional to the shortest distance on the surface of the moon.

Shinnra, is your guess based on some data?