I. Introduction

II. The making of Cyber Nations Politics

III. Treaties

IV. Alliance Blocs

V. Alliance Wars

VI. ZI, EZI, PZI

VII. Conclusion

Introduction

So you've made your nation and started building. You are beginning to learn the basics of game play and you think "Hey this game seems pretty fun and easy!". Well then you decide to register for an account on the forums. You look around in some and find all these new terms, "alliance bloc", "MDP", "MDoAP", "PIAT", "DoW", and you think you're very confused as to what these all are and what makes Cyber Nations so fun. But do not fear, young grasshopper, for I have made this guide to help all the new ones out there.

The Making of Cyber Nation's Politics

You've probably heard the term "alliance" in real life before. Several Real Life alliances, such as NATO or the U.N. exist. Cyber Nations alliances are pretty much the same, a small or large group of nations working for the growth, protecting, and education of others. Many alliances follow a "charter", which is just a fancy word for a set of rules, regulations, information, and rights.

Alliances communicate through IRC (Internet Relay Chat) and on off site forums. Almost all of the alliances today have an IRC channel on the network of Coldfront (website http://www.coldfront.net) (server: irc.coldfront.net) although some alliances such as the Federation of Armed Nations (FAN) are on Esper's network (http://www.esper.net). If you've ever used Instant Messaging (such as AIM or Windows Live) you can use IRC. Alliances usually are based off of a color, so they can trade with each other.

Alliances also have governments that rule over the alliance and it's members. Most alliances have one leader (Emperor, Supreme Chancellor, Viceroy, Regent, President etc.) or in some cases three leaders, known as Triumvirates. Most alliances have one second in command (Regent, Chancellor, Vice President). Some alliances have several other members of high government commonly called "Imperial Officers (IO's)". Alliances also have heads of departments, commonly referred to as "Ministers". Most alliances have four "Ministers", a Minister of Internal Affairs, a Minister of External Affairs, a Minister of Finance, and a Minister of War. These names may vary. Together, these people decide the course of action to take for their respective alliance, whether it be signing "Treaties", declaring war, educating members, or doing programs.

Treaties

You have also probably heard the term "Treaty" in real life, too. Well here at Cyber Nations, we also have treaties. Individual nations do not sign these treaties. Treaties are signed between two, or more, alliances. Here are the types of treaties:

Non Aggression Pact: (NAP) Alliances (two or more) agree to coexist peacefully and not attack each other.

Peace, Intelligence and Aid Treaty: (PIAT) Alliances agree to coexist peacefully, share certain information with each other, and, under certain circumstances, aid each other.

Treaty of Amity: (TOA) Alliances state their friendship and agree to optional financial aid and military aid.

Optional Defense Pact: (ODP) Alliances may optionally defend each other if attacked, though such action is not required, and share intelligence with eachother.

Mutual Defense Pact: (MDP) Alliances agree to defend each other if one of the signatories is attacked no matter what.

Mutual Defense and Optional Aggression Pact: (MDoAP) Alliances agree to defend each other no matter what and agree to optionally support each other in aggressive endeavors.

Mutual Aggression and Defense Pact: (MADP) Alliances agree to defend and attack with each other, no matter what circumstances.

Treaty of Friendship: (ToF) Inter-alliance agreements wherein the signatory alliances agree to generally friendly relations. This treaty may also include: Mutual non-aggression, free or favored trade, senate support, shared intelligence, and/or financial support.

Voting Treaty: (VT) Alliances agree to vote for each others' senate candidate.

Free Trade Agreement: (FTA) Alliances agree to tech trade with each others' nations.

Declaration of Neutrality: (DoN) A treaty where one alliance states they will not be entering a current conflict between two or more alliances.

Protectorate: One alliances agrees to protect a smaller alliance. This means the larger alliance must come to the financial and/or military aid of smaller alliance but the smaller alliance does not have to do the same for the larger alliance.

You can view a list of current treaties here.

Alliance Blocs

An alliance bloc is a small group of alliances bound together by a treaty. Alliance blocs will name their bloc and sometimes have off site forums and IRC channels. In large scale alliance wars, a bloc usually goes to war with another bloc. Not all alliances bound together by treaties call themselves a bloc. Some of the most notable blocs are Citadel, Frostbite, and Aztec. You can see a list and stats of the current blocs Here.

Alliance Wars

Alliances within Cyber Nations often will go to war with each other over disputes. Alliances Wars (often referred to as Great Wars) can be small, between two alliances, or a full blown world conflict between dozens of alliances. Events leading up to these wars are often referred to as "Drama" and at the end, one or more alliances will be destroyed and have to disband. The Cyber Nations community often looks forward to the next large scaled war. The larger wars are often the cause of a chain reaction, alliances being brought into the war because of their treaty with another alliance. In these wars, alliances give their nations a list of targets for the other alliance to declare an in game war on. In Alliance Wars, nations will often use conventional and nuclear weapons to defeat their opponent. During these wars, alliances will often take surrendering nations as PoWs (Prisoners of War). If a losing alliance wants to leave the ongoing conflict, they must get surrender terms from the alliance they're at war with. Surrender Terms often include military decommissioning and financial reps being paid to the winning alliance or side. Often, if an alliance violates their surrender terms, a state of war will resume on them once again.

Some notable wars are Great War I, Great War II, Great War III, The Unjust War, The War of the Coalition, and The Karma War.

ZI, EZI, PZI

Almost all alliances in Cyber Nations practice a term known as Zero Infrastructure (ZI). What this is, is an alliance will attack a nation until that nation's infrastructure is at 0, then they stop attacking. Alliances often have ZI lists of people who have done something wrong against that alliance or that alliance's allies. Perma ZI, or PZI, is the practice of attacking a nation down to zero infrastructure and continuing to attack that nation to zero infrastructure until that nation deletes. Eternal ZI, or EZI, is the practice of attacking a nation until it's infrastructure is at 0 and to attack the ruler's future nations. EZI and PZI are often looked down upon in the Cyber Nations community.

Conclusion

I hope this guide has help you learn the ropes of the Political Machine of Cyber Nations. This guide was written and posted by baseballer790. If there are any suggestions, typo's, misspelled words, grammar mistakes, or sentences that don't make sense, please post here or PM me about it. You have my permission to use this on your alliance boards, I just ask that you give me credit or post a link back to this topic. Stay tuned as I might be adding more sections to this. Hope this helps!

Edited by baseballer790

I thought Perma ZI was on one nation, while Eternal ZI was on one player's current and future nations.

Just being nit-picky. "Eternal" has a more ominous tone than "Perma"

Fixed..I noticed I messed that up

nice and thanks for making this i actually didnt know about these two lol

Voting Treaty: (VT) Alliances agree to vote for each others' senate candidate.

Free Trade Agreement: (FTA) Alliances agree to tech trade with each others' nations.

Good start. I'm going to post a link to this on our forum. There should also be something basic (maybe not here but somewhere) for new people on interactions with other nations. For instance, that they should read their alliance charter's section on war and "tech raids" AND follow them ;)) People talk a lot about "tech raids/wars for resources" in terms of being against none's - but I can say from experience that they happen on a regular basis to small alliances too. One interesting thing to me was when it happened to our group (I'm estimating around 8-10 times), there was only ONE where the raider was actually following his own alliance rules! The rest were very clearly breaking them and the leadership followed up accordingly.

I thought Perma ZI was on one nation, while Eternal ZI was on one player's current and future nations.

Just being nit-picky. "Eternal" has a more ominous tone than "Perma"

Can't we just keep it at ZI & Perma ZI....easier to remember and keep track..

Nice guide baseballer.

The UN is not an alliance, it is a international organization. Other examples of RL alliances(blocs) you could use are the warsaw pact, and SEATO.

You could phrase this sentence differently:

Alliances Wars (often referred to as Great Wars) can be small, between two alliances, or a full blown world conflict between dozens of alliances.

I like it though its good.

threefingeredguy's guide to participating in CN Forums Politics:

1. Argue with everyone about everything. It doesn't matter who's right, it just matters who posts more.

2. Make sure to suck up to people with big post counts as their e-peen will surely rub off on you (that sounds disgusting)

3. Never concede defeat or admit fault. You should always present the facade that it is quite literally impossible for you to be wrong.

4. Always try to slip personal attacks into your post with cleverly (but not too clerver lest the point be missed) worded snide comments.

5. If someone calls you out on something, don't back down. Discredit everything they've ever done without worrying about the damage to your reputation.

6. Remember, the more you shout and argue, the more right you ultimately are. Prove to everyone, including your opponents that you're the best by trolling everyone at all times

7. ???

8. Profit!

Edited by threefingeredguy

threefingeredguy's guide to participating in CN Forums Politics:

1. Argue with everyone about everything. It doesn't matter who's right, it just matters who posts more.

2. Make sure to suck up to people with big post counts as their e-peen will surely rub off on you (that sounds disgusting)

3. Never concede defeat or admit fault. You should always present the facade that it is quite literally impossible for you to be wrong.

4. Always try to slip personal attacks into your post with cleverly (but not too clerver lest the point be missed) worded snide comments.

5. If someone calls you out on something, don't back down. Discredit everything they've ever done without worrying about the damage to your reputation.

6. Remember, the more you shout and argue, the more right you ultimately are. Prove to everyone, including your opponents that you're the best by trolling everyone at all times

7. ???

8. Profit!

Was that really necessary?