CNRP OOC Thread

Stormcrow

Well, I have never been engaged in CNRP1 that much, so didn't interact with you that much and hence why I am really of no importance in this conversation, but nonetheless, sad to see you go.

just a note for all RP's: Sorry I haven't been that active, but i've been working on my biography of Francis Scott Key, so really haven't had much time lately. I'll be back to regular activity soon, though.

Edited by Peter Ilyich

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<image>

I'm not dead.

We'll miss you, I respected someone who could take a few punches (and throw some back) without taking it personally and did the !@#$%* work of making sure the trains run ontime.  I now designate Melech as responsible for this.

I'll miss needling this Japan, it came the closest I've seen anyone come since Cochin to creating a serious pole, which is strong, independent, and opinionated.  I will say regardless of what you may think, imo you surpassed Kankou.  Maybe she had a bit more vision and military power, but you're creation of partnerships with America and possibly Arabia was impressive.  Something she never did.  I even had to get involved to save poor Russia.

Well, I hope Melech will do a proper job at this then. It's not all too fun, but somewhat important.

And seriously, I didn't try become a power because I want to be the great Asian hegemon. Being hegemon is a role that is tied to responsibilities and requires effort. Power comes at a price and hegemony also isn't something that comes for free. Alone that I can't just go and reroll whenever I wish is already bothersome, but important. But given noone cares about my complaints as long as I stay a non-power, might as well actually put some effort into it and get a lil' bit serious, so that the hegemon stops holing up at home and does their job properly.

And I don't want to surpass Kankou.(Nor do I think I actually did.) All I want is to have my own place and to not have to worry about the ever-deteriorating situation. But I feel both isn't going to happen, because what once defined my self-perceived role is mostly gone and I'm just sitting around these days and writing on my own, apart from diplo threads, which are more fulfilling my duties than writing for fun. Thus, I rather go and try write short stories or do whatever else with my free time, where I don't wonder half the time whether what I'm doing is the right thing to do and what I am doing it for. Really, knowing that I'm effectively just working for myself now is just bothersome, yet there's nothing else to be done.

Well Eva, van't say I haven't felt the same way as you some times, though. I sometimes have to look back at old threads to get a character name or something, and it really is sad seeing all the fun people who are gone now. It's a bummer seeing you go, since you do contribute a very good chunk of the posts for CNRP, and were one of the few people who really interacted with the large group of people who came/returned to CNRP a few months ago. At least you'll sticking around IRC, and you know that there's always a place for you here if you decide to stop back in.

We'll miss you, I respected someone who could take a few punches (and throw some back) without taking it personally and did the !@#$%* work of making sure the trains run ontime.  I now designate Melech as responsible for this.

While I don't want to blow my own horn here too much, and I get that I was one of the less busy people in the RP, I do want to note that it's been now a week since my announcement and the grand total of CNRP posts for this time period were two. Which contrasts with at least one post per day, when I was around (just alone because I posted on a daily basis, but also people interacted with me). One cannot help but be a bit concerned about this decline in activity.

Now, I'd be lying if I'd say that this was a completely unforeseen development. It needs some extraordinary ignorance to not realise that my RP was creating quite a bit of activity. But unlike some other people, I don't want this RP to decline and I did not leave to see it go inactive. People should know I put some effort into trying to revitalise this RP and it partly is the reason I did try to post at least once a day and have diplomatic talks with people. Besides the obvious reason that it does actually assist me in furthering my own agenda. And I did over the last week wonder whether it is ok to quit now, after some people returned and it seemed that some life returns. However, I came to the conclusion, that if the RP goes down because I left, then that's pretty sad, as the RP should not be centered just around my activity and given I did leave, but I do not encourage others to do so too, or to go and join rival RPs, I shouldn't blame myself if my action caused irreperable damage.

I think what I really want to get accross to the people here is that you may try to flatter me by telling me how my efforts helped in engaging returnees and keep the system working, but I do think it'd be only fair if this was not just my responsibility, but that of the whole community to create action, engage others and keep the OOC system up and running. I don't do elections because I'm such a poll fanatic that absolutely loves to create polls. I do that because these elections are something I personally struggled for (among quite a few others), they are something that Kankou worked for and they are important for a healthy community to be maintained, in my opinion. And I do take some pride in the fact that people count on me to actually do my job well.

And RPing with others should happen more. Honestly, if you take a look at the RP that is happening, in general if someone has fun, we shouldn't go out of our way to ruin that. But RPing on our own is no different than writing a novel on our own (which you don't need map space for, btw). It is to me not the point of an RP, which is defined by its interactive character. And if you can't RP grand political drama, go and RP something more down to earth. You can give your characters some depth or create new ones. Create new storylines for your nations. In the past, there were people like Sarah who did a great lot to create storylines where others could join in, because that was fun for them and also, I would think, fun for her. These days, noone does that anymore really. People take their parcel of land, RP on their own (if they really do much at all) and are either going on about being busy or about how the RP is in decline. It's really not hard to go and try to do your part about it.

I for my part enjoyed the last week very much, using the time I usually spent on RP to play some games and watch anime instead. Also read some of the Discorsi, which I had postponed for years and which I started finally this year. I do at times wonder whether to rejoin, given that unlike others I didn't leave because circumstances forced me, but because I just got extremely depressed with how things were going. I won't say I will rejoin, now or in the future, because I don't want to give binding promises, but I do think people should put more effort into this and if I can assume that my time here is more fun than time spent on watching anime, then I guess I could actually convince myself to find new reasons to RP. Not that I think that will motivate you people, as normally the motivation should stem from concern over the RP in general, not me.

So yeah, I'm happy people think I'm the one that makes things run smoothly, but I do want to believe that it isn't just because I do things that others are actually active. It's just way more fun when I get awards like "Most active nation" with actual competition.

Its not much fun playing when no one wants to play other than in their own sand box.  Arabia-Japan Arabia-Draka had potential if people played real RP.

In my opinion, you do hype Arabia a bit too much. Yes, they topped out at 1.8 million or so combat soldier potential, and had a ton of oil, but hardly anyone of them was known for military prowess and after the initial rush, it mostly became just Greywall posting once a week at best. Arabia had potential, if people were prepared to go and try work on it for a greater period of time, like say two years, in which they accumulate ressources and knowledge. Also, it should be noted that arabia didn't seriously compete for anything, compared to Draka, which challenged the NPT and Japan, which used its new-gained American territories. If you want to cry about Arabia having fizzled out, you should first cry about how MGL and Shammy, people who were capable and had ressources went out. Otherwise, Arabia is just the multiplayer version of Lynneth, at best.

Also, it should be noted that there's more to RP than just politics. I do like my political RPs, as you may know, just like I am fond of my naval developments, but I also try to work on character RP and work out nice meetings with people. I think you could try work on some other things too from time to time. I mean, you did so in the past, when Sarah was around, I think you can do so again. And I don't know, maybe you can get Sarah to write a story with you again, or you try RP with someone else. Yuan Shizi is a character that can use some development, especially if he ever wants to be seen as a person that can stand next to his father, instead of being just the less great version of Yuan Jia.

I would think that if you want people to fight, then you need to give a reason to. People who feel no attachment to the RP whatsoever, will not fight, because it's a pain to deal with.

It's also fun to play in a world where battles aren't predetermined with only one victor.

Given CNRP does not close it's doors to anyone, something that should be preserved, it is unlikely we'll ever end up in a world where everyone is equally talented and knowledgeable in different areas. And that's something that is plaguing every RP where people with differing amounts of talent and knowledge coexist. It is what happened in CNRP2, when the numbers were more equal and it would have happened in CNRPA, if more knowledgeable people were present. It's something you should learn to live with, just alone because it happens IRL on a daily basis. And you can either accept this status quo and try to find a modus vivendi that allows you to be happy still, you can try to do something about it, to change this status quo, or you can complain. The first will may lead to happiness, not necessarily change, the second may lead to change, not necessarily happiness and the third will lead to neither, because unproductive complaining isn't getting you further and just reinforces the misery felt.

And while opposing Triyun means that you get confronted with IC insults and hurdles that can be harsh, if not outright war, which most likely will be lost, opposing you in CNRP2 got me insulted as a person, not a character and it ended with systemic action to remove me, which imo, is even worse than geting IC hurdles. RPing and cooperating with others means to give and take and that some effort might need to be put in there that will never pay off and that some wishes will maybe never become true, because they conflict with others and we make concessions to allow all people to have some level of success. These are basic social skills and norms on how to get along in a community and while Triyun is known for just stonewalling others diplomatically and using his military strength and reputation to leverage others for maximum gain, his policy is still less of a headache than your fits and temper tandrums the moment just about anything does not go your way.

Character RPs are great but its a national RP.  Characters exist within it.  Characters exist in all stories.  What makes cybernations unique is the national and therefore political aspect.   Setting and themes still matter.  

Character RPs are great but its a national RP.  Characters exist within it.  Characters exist in all stories.  What makes cybernations unique is the national and therefore political aspect.   Setting and themes still matter.  

Don't need to tell me that. A nation centered around characters is the easiest to maim, because like an achilles heel, you can let it die by merely taking out a couple leaders. If characters are merely the extension of the nation, then, like with a hydra, it is pointless to merely decapitate it, because the heads will just keep growing back and a larger systemic approach for change is required. I posess the intelligence necessary to learn at least as much in my years in this RP, where my leadership has been hunted down at times, imprisoned at others and character focus does not benefit the state if it is taken too far.

Nevertheless, noone asked you to sacrifice your nation. I merely suggested you could actually do something with the characters you create that is maybe a bit more personal. In the end, it is your decision though, just like pretty much all advise I ever give.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't play CNRP, I believe the current list would be Triyun, President David, Justinian the Mighty, Kaiser Melech, Imperator Azenquor, and Mr Director.

edit: and Evangeline, of course.

Edited by Mogar