CNRP OOC Thread

Stormcrow

We've come to a point in CNRP where there is a great deal of OOC chatter in what is meant to be an IC forum. A large portion of players has complained about this, how it interrupts the flow of roleplay, how it diminishes the "game experience".

Consider this an antidote. Here is a thread dedicated entirely to CNRP OOC matters. Utilize, and enjoy the beautiful sight of an orderly forum without random OOC being posted everywhere!

Enjoy,

Stormcrow.

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First Order of Business:

Sumeragi and the amazing dissapearing island!

Alright, Su' has brought up a very good point about maps; that is, THE PACIFIC HAS AN INFINITE NUMBER OF TINY, TINY ISLANDS (and caps is cruise control for cool! Right? Right?) and it is a hassle to try and put all of them on the map, thus cluttering it terribly. Additionally, most of these islands are lagoons, rocks, volcanos, ie, terrible places to live inasmuch as they are highly unstable. So, their rising and sinking is not impossible, only requiring specific circumstances. In this, we have a community disagreement. One side says "the islands sink" the other side says it doesn't. So, let's have some discussion on this people!

I'm all for unclaimed islands going bye bye.. but to arbitrarily say, "HAHAHAHAH my super bomb of doom just created a 400 foot wave and your pissant island is screwed!"

That's so wrong on so many levels.. hahaha.

Let's just not get to carried away though.. I can see using a few islands full of peaceful native NPCs getting wiped out as good for the on going Role plays, but everyone doing it tends to limit the number of islands we can claim later as outposts and refueling stations.

Tsunamis do not keep things out of water. I do not think the sea level could be raised enough to wipe out islands, that they made be effected by a tsunami much like the infamous one in the reason a few years ago is another story, my suspicion is it would not be nearly as bad as that but still have some minor effect.

Tsunamis do not keep things out of water. I do not think the sea level could be raised enough to wipe out islands, that they made be effected by a tsunami much like the infamous one in the reason a few years ago is another story, my suspicion is it would not be nearly as bad as that but still have some minor effect.

The islands weren't one the map base anyway, so I don't see a big of an issue for taking them off the map. Besides, unless we're going to add in every small lagoon in the Pacific, we really should restrict the addition of islands onto the map.

The islands arn't really destoryed usually; for example, I'll use these HD-quality pictures of "Volcano Island" & a bomb:

VolcanoIsland1.png

VolcanoIsland2.png

VolcanoIsland3.png

As you can see, the island wouldn't actually be destroyed; just parts (if not all) of the area about water level.

EDIT: This is jsut clearing up that they arn't actually destroyed.

Edited by JerreyRough

The islands arn't really destoryed usually; for example, I'll use these HD-quality pictures of "Volcano Island" & a bomb:

VolcanoIsland1.png

VolcanoIsland2.png

VolcanoIsland3.png

As you can see, the island wouldn't actually be destroyed; just parts (if not all) of the area about water level.

EDIT: This is jsut clearing up that they arn't actually destroyed.

I love the picture quality.

On the point of disappearing islands. There are two things totally wrong with it.

First. Volcanic activity (is the Pacific at least) leads to nice runny magma, so the islands actually grow.

Next, it creates a stupid precedent, that you can alter geography.

Those islands are rock, not some piles of sand. They will not wash away. They maybe ruined, but they will still be there.

Yes of course, sumeragi, you did say there was no pressure yourself, therefore no Krakatoa, Mt St Helens or Lake taupo event could occur. All that would happen ( even though setting off volcanoes has itself been ruled out) would be small eruptions, mostly runny magma, and so the islands would grow. Of course it would kill most things, but the island would still be there.

And another point, I would like to contest Sumeragis claim all 100% of her supposed 50 million refugees did exactly what they were told and therefore stayed in their destination countries. Since KT has no power and the destination countries are not detaining them, I would say it is entirely reasonable that some would leave (through legal and accepted methods) to go to other countries. Even a 99.9% obedience rate is still 50,000 people that could go to other countries.

Yes of course, sumeragi, you did say there was no pressure yourself, therefore no Krakatoa, Mt St Helens or Lake taupo event could occur. All that would happen ( even though setting off volcanoes has itself been ruled out) would be small eruptions, mostly runny magma, and so the islands would grow. Of course it would kill most things, but the island would still be there.

Reread. There is no pressure at the location of the explosion, but the shockwaves set off the pressured points in the Bismarck.

Reread. There is no pressure at the location of the explosion, but the shockwaves set off the pressured points in the Bismarck.

Except for the obvious problem, the shock-waves are nowhere near strong enough to do that. You are trying to claim that shockwaves (only 40-50% of the total energy of the weapon), moving through a rather useless medium (fault lines are your enemy...) have enough energy to unplug more than a dozen volcanoes that are on the very verge of erupting, over hundreds of km away despite the fact that they lose energy with a 1/r3 pattern?

Or are you just continuing to say they exploded and thats that

Ok, here, is a list of effects from an underground nuclear explosion. So, lets work it out for your bomb, 100,000 Kt.

So, lets go for the largest volume of effect, and the radius which it extends to.

Finally, the zone of irreversible strain consists of rock deformed by the pressure.[26]

From the link above, this is a radius of 800-1100m multiplied by the cube root of the weapons yeild in Kt.

So, The cube root of 100,000 is 46 and a bit. Call it 47. So, this means, that all (every single bit) of rock deformed (in any way) by the weapon is in a radius of 51.7km. No where near far enough to reach even off the island of New Guinea.

Your volcano claim is as sunk as you said the islands were.

Edited by LeVentNoir

Islands can be made in shallow water. Example:

palm_jumeirah.jpg

I would say players only really have the ability to destroy these types of very small islands, created by man as most islands are made out of volcanic granite and far to thick or dense to really be destroyed except for maybe by multiple nuclear blasts. Even then, the blasts would have to be very selectively targeted in a form of nuclear engineering.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex