Building into space

Lynneth

With Neo Japan beaten, Saboria was now at peace again.

This opportunity would be used to its fullest extent by the Chairman, partially evident by several dozen transports docking in Libreville, in the Republic.

To the southeast, a strip of land was which Saboria had received from the Republic.

Thing11.png

There, a project would be begun that would enable Saboria to easily bring materials into space to do basically whatever they wanted.

Meanwhile, the captain of the transport fleet that had just arrived got on shore. The Republic had been informed about the arrival of these ships and the Chairman had asked them to provide a means to transport the materials and workers on the ships to their destination.

Artist's impressions of the space elevator:

SpaceElevator04.jpg

SpaceElevator02.jpg

The geostationary station would at the same time serve as international research facility.

OOC: Your turn, Sargun. ^_^

Also, currently closed. I'll open it once the construction has begun. Then, others can join a bit. This all is public knowledge, though. Newsreport or something.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOC: I have no IC comment on this. I personally find the idea of a space elevator hard to grasp. You need so much tensile strength to keep it tethered, it is just unreasonable. On top of that, the force on the big part on the top from earth spinning, and the moon would most likely rip the top off. There is also the matter of meteorites hitting it, and causing serious damage. Though these are all true, i begrudgingly accept it, until I find more information for or against it. <_<

Also, beat you both Jed and Subtle :P

Edited by Emperor Aureolus

OOC: I have no IC comment on this. I personally find the idea of a space elevator hard to grasp. You need so much tensile strength to keep it tethered, it is just unreasonable. On top of that, the force on the big part on the top from earth spinning, and the moon would most likely rip the top off. There is also the matter of meteorites hitting it, and causing serious damage. Though these are all true, i begrudgingly accept it, until I find more information for or against it. <_<

Also, beat you both Jed and Subtle :P

OOC: I RP'd in my general thread that my scientists found a material (Carbon-Nanotube composite material or something similar) that's useable as cable. Also, the moon is 300,000 kilometers away from earth while the elevator will only reach 100,000 or so kilometers into space, in total. That thing is totally possible, but yeah, meteorites will likely be the biggest danger for it.

OOC: I'd be totally on-board with helping out. :D

IC: The Imperium of America expresses its' interest in this project.

IC:

While Saboria and the Republic will build the Elevator's base on our own, other nations are more than welcome to contribute resources for the construction of the orbital station and the manufacturing of the elevator's cable.

OOC: Remember guys, aerogel is an incredible substance.

IC: The Republic provided hundreds of jeeps and eighteen-wheelers ready to take personnel and material to the site. The King was already at the site, gazing at the land about to be used for the elevator.

Despite all the vehicles provided by the Republic, it would take a total of four days to empty all of the ships and bring the materials to the construction site. However, the construction began almost immediately, with an actual new street being built from Ntoum to the construction site. Other things were built, as well, such as a harbor, living space for technicians, and much more.

It would, however, take quite some time for the elevator to be finished.

Edited by Lynneth

A large Sabotown was quickly built with massive amounts of materials. Thousands of workers quickly started putting up large-scale housing and army barracks to defend; they also set to work on water purification, putting food here and emergency services.

Only days later, more ships would arrive in Libreville, although not as many as in the first 'delivery'.

A long fence was built around the designated construction area, to keep people out that had nothing to do with the elevator, such as curious civilians.

Construction of the harbor, one of the soon-to-be most important facilities in the area, continued.

The general buildings began to take shape, although the elevator's base itself hadn't been begun - yet.

**Public announcement from Saboria**

We would like to announce that, while the construction of the space elevator's base and its supporting infrastructue has begun, the orbital station hasn't been begun yet. As the only nation with a proper spaceport, we ask all who want to participate in this project to contribute money or fuel for the spaceshuttles. Even with the capability of launching five shuttles at once into space, it will take dozens, if not hundreds of launches to bring the required material into space. That does not include making the actual cable, which will be a total of 100,000 kilometers long - 2.5 times as long as earth's equator is long.

In short, finishing the elevator will be incredibly hard with only the resources of Saboria and the Republic.

If you are not sure about participating, keep in mind that the space station will be international - everyone will be able to send scientists into space.

This is a most interesting and ambitious scientific project. The USNA expresses great interest in seeing whether or not it would be possible and is willing to put forth some participation.

USNA Secretary of Science and Technology,

???

We'd be happy to provide materials, as our economy has ratcheted towards war. We only require a manifest list of requirements.

The main resource that we need is, as the name of the cable's material implies, Carbon. However, there are also other materials required for a cable of sufficient strength; An appropriate list will be sent to you within the next hours. If you want, we can instead send the blueprints for factories that can produce the material in higher quantities than any other facility.

OOC: I actually didn't think about what *exactly* would be needed to make my 'better' nanotubes.

IC:

This is a most interesting and ambitious scientific project. The USNA expresses great interest in seeing whether or not it would be possible and is willing to put forth some participation.

???

We would be more than thankful for any participation, be it as much as a monetary donation or raw materials.

A list of needed materials would be required as we would like to have a moderately sized part in this project. It would also help our burgeoning space industry as we are beginning to initiate a space program and any experience possible in that field would be good.

???

A list of needed materials would be required as we would like to have a moderately sized part in this project. It would also help our burgeoning space industry as we are beginning to initiate a space program and any experience possible in that field would be good.

???

The list of needed materials will be sent to you as soon as possible.

On the space program, you can send some men to Saboria so that they may learn from some of our experienced operators in our Spaceport.

A few hours later, both the USNA and the Imperium of America would receive a list of the necessary materials.

OOC: Also, bedtime for now. G'night.

Edited by Lynneth

OOC: Why? It's possible. That, and it's an interesting concept. ;)

OOC: It's a terribly expensive and long project with a plethora of engineering complexities and exorbitant maintenance costs.

Not to mention that to generate any kind of revenue, a space-based industry would have to be established. Also, could we please keep things within Planet Bob?

OOC: It's a terribly expensive and long project with a plethora of engineering complexities and exorbitant maintenance costs.

Not to mention that to generate any kind of revenue, a space-based industry would have to be established. Also, could we please keep things within Planet Bob?

OOC: And if I ever go to war with any of em again, I'll send an astronaut over there with a pair of hedge clippers and he'll go 'snip'.

OOC: And if I ever go to war with any of em again, I'll send an astronaut over there with a pair of hedge clippers and he'll go 'snip'.

OOC: I doubt it'll be that vulnerable. <_<

Also, this is entirely feasible, albeit very expensive. It'd require an international effort. But the science is here to do it...today...if governments so chose to do it.

Upon receipt of factory blueprints, the Imperium has begun to construct another massive forge in Imperial City to supply a portion of the Carbon-based material required for the Cable. Each factory is relatively simple to construct; we expect partial operation shortly.

OOC: I doubt it'll be that vulnerable. <_<

Also, this is entirely feasible, albeit very expensive. It'd require an international effort. But the science is here to do it...today...if governments so chose to do it.

OOC: Meh, I just don't want to see CNRP turned into SpaceRP or some crap like that.