Anyone with firefox?

Fandellos

I'm sure on numerous times admin has stated that only scripts etc that will effect the game servers are forbidden.

So programs that change the layout and style of the page e.g. this, grease monkey, manual parsers are all allowed.

Tho don't quote me on that :P

From the terms of service:

7. By using this service you agree not to access Cyber Nations with any other than web browsers. Such other programs are in particular so called "Bots" as well as other tools that simulate, replace, or supplement the web interface. The same applies to scripts and completely or partially automated programs that provide advantages towards other users and auto refresh functions and other browser integrated mechanisms. You must agree to not, under any circumstance, run scripts of any kind against this website.

Ok, so this doesn't connect to the CN servers then?

Nope.

The pertinent part would be this:

"The same applies to scripts and completely or partially automated programs that provide advantages towards other users and auto refresh functions and other browser integrated mechanisms. You must agree to not, under any circumstance, run scripts of any kind against this website."

I think this would most likely count as a script and/or "completely or partially automated programs that provide advantages towards other users and auto refresh functions and other browser integrated mechanisms." For the latter, it depends on if you count an information program as a program "that provide advantages towards other users"

I'd be nice to get some clarification from admin on this.

Edited by Azaghul

I'd like to see Admin say it in this thread, in direct regard to this particular download, before I use it.
Nope.

The pertinent part would be this:

"The same applies to scripts and completely or partially automated programs that provide advantages towards other users and auto refresh functions and other browser integrated mechanisms. You must agree to not, under any circumstance, run scripts of any kind against this website."

I think this would most likely count as a script and/or "completely or partially automated programs that provide advantages towards other users and auto refresh functions and other browser integrated mechanisms." For the latter, it depends on if you count an information program as a program "that provide advantages towards other users"

I'd be nice to get some clarification from admin on this.

I'd assume that, as long as it's available to everyone, and pulls information from pages you load in the browser, it's probably going to be fine. Still, it's probably a good idea to wait for admin approval.

I wrote this extension. My PMs with the admin indicated only that given the functionality and features described, it would not violate the game rules.

However, posting links to third party tools is against the forum rules so I recommend removing it to avoid a warn.

I will say that it is completely passive from a CN perspective; it does not contact the CN server at any time. You can examine the unobfuscated source code by downloading the installer and unzipping it with something like Winzip, I only ask that if you make any improvements or fixes to it that email them back to me.

Why doesn't he release it on FF's main add-on page? Oh well.

If the CN interface changes, I need to be able to update the extension quickly. If you want something to be listed on AMO (Firefox's extension site), you are assigned a reviewer who has to review the changes you made. From what I've read, the turnaround time is 2-3 days at least. Not a big deal for most extensions, but CNx would essentially be unusable during that time. With FF3, the trend seems to be to try and push extension authors towards AMO, so in the long term it may end up there anyways.

from the FAQ on the site

If I install this extension, will I get banned?

No. When I originally had the idea for it, I asked the Cybernations admin if the general concept would be alright, and he gave a provisional okay provided a number of constraints were followed. Once the extension was nearly finished with development, I presented a more detailed proposal with screenshots and a description of functionality. This proposal was approved, and I am confident that the extension meets all of the constraints laid out.

However, I can’t vouch for anything that wasn’t directly downloaded from this site. Anything downloaded from other sources may have been tampered with maliciously or include unapproved features. Once installed, Firefox’s automated updater provides a secure way to get extension patches and upgrades.