Unable to sell land

Horus Lytton

So, earlier I was having an OCD moment and didn't like the fact that my purchases of land (bought a lot) was an odd number, and being financially stable, I decided to sell them. Well, "selling" is the operative word. I have no idea why you lose money on selling, when the point of selling is to gain some money for it (Yes, I put in a - and it spits out a - cash value), especially if you are in a bind somehow. Anyway I had enough that I could "sell", not caring about the financial ramifications, but I made a mathematical error and ended up with .001 miles of purchased land. My real problem is with the selling process itself. It tells me it can't sell.

So, I looked at the fine print that says "The minimum land required before selling is 100 miles of purchased land." Ok, no problem. Just buy 99.999 miles and it should be hunky dory, right? WRONG!

Even if I do have exactly 100 miles of land, it still won't sell, even though that is the exact minimum. Seriously? It should either be worded better, fixed, or the minimum cap should be removed. I know what the benefits are for having more land, but I'm getting used to the system of natural growth, and I haven't actually bought more land for a boost in years. What is the point? I could leave it alone for now and hold it at 100 miles for now. Otherwise, it just feels like I'm holding on to dead weight, so to speak.

You don't actually have 100 land, the game rounds values for infrastructure, technology, land, etc. when displaying them. Your actual purchased land amount is roughly 99.999559609214. That said, there is not much of a practical reason to sell it, if you had a higher infrastructure level would would likely need even more purchased land due to the automatic growth not being enough.

Why do you believe that selling land loses you money Horus Lytton? This is not the case, insert a negative value into the "Miles of Land" field, and it will return a negative value, which means that you pay a negative amount. Paying a negative amount is of course the same as being paid the positive of that amount.

As Mithrandir stated, land is beneficial and your nation should have more. The only reason to sell land is to reduce NS, which is not a serious factor for your nation.

On 6/10/2017 at 0:59 AM, Mithrandir said:

You don't actually have 100 land, the game rounds values for infrastructure, technology, land, etc. when displaying them. Your actual purchased land amount is roughly 99.999559609214. That said, there is not much of a practical reason to sell it, if you had a higher infrastructure level would would likely need even more purchased land due to the automatic growth not being enough.

I discovered I didn't need it if I reached the sweet spot with enough land to support the infrastructure and development to house the amount of citizens without needing to sit on purchasing more land. Population wasn't unhappy. Purchasing can force you to grow faster if you wanted, but speed at this point is not a concern of mine. Meanwhile, land is expanded without my touching the land transaction screen and my wallet. By then, I can profit from the taxes and bonus money. Purchased land outstays its usefulness when I have reached that point, which like I said, I haven't bought/sold land in years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/06/2017 at 4:47 PM, Horus Lytton said:

I discovered I didn't need it if I reached the sweet spot with enough land to support the infrastructure and development to house the amount of citizens without needing to sit on purchasing more land. Population wasn't unhappy. Purchasing can force you to grow faster if you wanted, but speed at this point is not a concern of mine. Meanwhile, land is expanded without my touching the land transaction screen and my wallet. By then, I can profit from the taxes and bonus money. Purchased land outstays its usefulness when I have reached that point, which like I said, I haven't bought/sold land in years.

In case you are not aware there is a bonus for having 1:0.5 infra/land ratio

Edited by Galerion

• 7 months later...
On 6/30/2017 at 1:41 PM, Galerion said:

In case you are not aware there is a bonus for having 1:0.5 infra/land ratio

Just saw this. I'd like to see that documentation. You didn't state what bonus is applied.

I can see some issues with that due to external factors.

The problem with that is that it will force you to maintain infra for the sake of a growing land mass. Land automatically expands over time without purchasing, so that to maintain the bonus, it also forces you to spend on infra. Since the cost of infra also increases for each infra level you spend, you could easily overspend what you planned on due to the time it takes to collect in your budget. Ignoring it isn't going to be an issue when you can spend on the infra you want. If you ever want to buy more land at the same time, have at it as well. Either way, maintaining the bonus is going to suck the attention from you and your money to worry about that. Not to mention, events, wars, and trades also tip that balance. I don't see that is a viable, productive, or useful benefit.

3 hours ago, Horus Lytton said:

Just saw this. I'd like to see that documentation. You didn't state what bonus is applied.

I can see some issues with that due to external factors.

The problem with that is that it will force you to maintain infra for the sake of a growing land mass. Land automatically expands over time without purchasing, so that to maintain the bonus, it also forces you to spend on infra. Since the cost of infra also increases for each infra level you spend, you could easily overspend what you planned on due to the time it takes to collect in your budget. Ignoring it isn't going to be an issue when you can spend on the infra you want. If you ever want to buy more land at the same time, have at it as well. Either way, maintaining the bonus is going to suck the attention from you and your money to worry about that. Not to mention, events, wars, and trades also tip that balance. I don't see that is a viable, productive, or useful benefit.

I could have worded it better but you could also have just looked at the cn wiki. If your land isn't half of your Infra then you have -1 environment, so the land just needs to be half or more than your infra; it doesn't encourage you to buy more infra.

Edited by Galerion

41 minutes ago, Galerion said:

it doesn't encourage you to buy more infra.

I don't think you understood, or perhaps I didn't word it better: land automatically expands, without purchasing, over time. That is key. As in, that ratio is continuously changing just because of the spontaneous land combustion. It even says so particularly in the wiki - "Land grows naturally in the game at a rate of 0.5 miles per day."

To maintain the ratio because of it, you end up compensating for that by buying more infra. Since the topic earlier was about the issue of not being able to sell off a certain amount of land because you can only get it slightly >0 and not even below that, you cannot sell off more land instead. Your only choice is to buy more infra to maintain that ratio, which is the caveat.

To go over specifics of your statement, you're slightly inaccurate. "If your infrastructure is greater than twice your land area, your environment will be negatively affected." Keyword: greater than. It doesn't say if you're at 1/0.5, you'll get a bonus.

This means only if you're >1/0.5 you are negatively affected. If you are <1/.05, you're fine. You don't have to go to a "golden ratio" of 1/0.5. As long as you have more land in proportion to infra, you're gold. So, yes, you don't have to start buying up infra, and you're less likely to incur penalties leaving both alone. Only if you're buying more infra than necessary, then that can occur. I didn't need to know that as long as I wasn't buying more land. Since I know land expands, all I need to worry about is when I purchase infra, but that wasn't the point of this thread.