Dirty or not dirty?

What the hell is a dirty spy op? Well generaly it is something that is going to be giving an economic penalty to the recipient.

There's only a few pure economic spy ops which are.

incite religion

destroy money

sabotage irs(the worst of them all)

For the others it isn't black and white. It is how you interpret it. Interestingly enough naval blockades can accumulate to where they make irs penaltys seem small. We can talk about blockades later.

General assassination.

This one is great. In reality, even if there is a mean ass general that you want to kill, to stop your enemy fighting you as effectively. Then it is even so, a 1 in 4 chance upon success. Add to this the fact that not many will have anything other than economic benefitial generals until later on, one could assume at least for the first half of a round.

Most the time you will have enough xp to replace but in reality this is killing xp which is at least partially economic. 

incite government.

This one sucks. for the double reason of having to build infra and collect taxes in anarchy. however there is a crucial war aspect to this one. If one is incited you cannot merely change your government while still in nuclear anarchy and declare offensive wars.

blockades.

firstly most capable nations are able to remove blockade penalties. and if you are doing it for that reason then fair enough. but they don't just disappear. a lot can be transfered down to other less fortunate individuals placing the economic strain upon their nations instead of the initial target.

these are extremely hurtful to a nations economy.

unless you are doing it for your own xp then it is 100 percent an economic operation on the enemy. Even if you are after xp you are greedy and are still hurting another nations economy far more than you are benefiting your own.

Then again. these ops exist in game don't they? Nations may play and interpret dirty or not dirty for themselves. All is fair in love and war?

Ahhhhh what is dirty and what is not, well lets look at what something dirty means. As you stated above some people feel it is an attack on your economic growth, and for others dirty is something that they dont consider fair. To further soil the issue each alliance government seems to have their own definitions of what dirty is and what is not. Not to mention agreements to not use "dirty" spy ops continue to get broken so you are left with some individuals who refuse to use what they consider un-honorable attacks and those that use them. I Personally feel the easiest way to get past this mess is to say all attacks whether they are navy blockades, all spy ops, and even blitzing. Yes blitzing......i mention this because in my opinion it is a dirty tactic that takes advantage of a reset time that for some reason the admin lets attacks to be ran back to back, i would think a timer all ground attacks would be preferable. Some individuals such as myself can not be awake at 1am to try to defend such back to back attacks that allow less powerful nations to successfully attack a more powerful nation and win just because they are in the right time zone or work the right shift. Now i am not trying to sway this post into a new topic, in my opinion blitzing is dirty....but i have accepted it as part of the game (grudgingly) and i think it is time we should use any attacks available to our nations, We should buy navy in order to prevent us from blockades and navy support.....we should also buy spies and the CIA in an attempt to prevent spy ops on us including our generals being assassinated or government incited. Trust me if all the alliance leaders could come together and agree what is dirty and what is not then i would be in favor of trying to get a written agreement established. However, the alliance leadership changes and the current leadership as of right now dissagrees on what is dirty and what is not......and i seriously doubt any progress will be made in regards to the current leaders being able to work something like this out. That is why i think the easiest solution is to use all attacks available by each nation. It would prevent the betrayed feelings of a nation when a "dirt" spy op is done on them.

Edited by malakarlian
fat fingers

• 2 weeks later...

This argument will never end. I stand by that incite gov prop is a strategic op because of the reasons you mentioned. If you're not nuclear, and your opponents are, it's an even more important op to run if you manage to overwhelm their ground forces and anarchy them to stop their offensive.

Destroy money? If your cash reserves are so low that one of these ops makes the difference between turtling and not, then why shouldn't your opponents use it? Should we not nuke people who don't have warchests either simply because they'll have a hard time rebuilding? Of course not. Same goes for irs and religion. 

Blockades and naval attacks are the only ways to gain naval XP, and even if you don't have a superior navy in place, you can buy the navy improvements prewar and raid them off later, or find opponents also lacking in navy to pass your blockades off. Or you know, just sell down your land if you don't want to be hit with blockades. I don't see the big deal here. 

My point is, all these ops serve a strategic purpose (that's why they're in there in the first place), and taking some off the table is hypocritical, and sets us all up for this endless argument. Even if you set terms of what spyops to do or not do, there's almost always a breakdown in communications - somebody doesn't see a message, an announcement goes unread, and before you know it, we're back at it again arguing over this. Who needs that kind of stress in their life??