The Freehold Coup

Well guys don't join the Freehold, Maegor has enacted a coup d'etat, removed me from the alliance for speaking out against his coup and is currently suppressing freedom of speech in the alliance and took a democratic alliance and turned it into an authoritarian dictatorship. I spent the last year trying to build my alliance up treaty by treaty, recruitment drive by recruitment drive into what it was, in a single night I saw my dreams dashed to pieces my hard work undone and all because one member wanted to seize it for himself. 

Also all treaties including protectorates have been renounced by Maegor himself so it's open hunting, everyone please enjoy. If he plans to destroy the alliance I spent over a year building then we might as well all lend a hand.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our protectorates were never rescinded nor cancelled.  Both contacted us and assured us of their respect for our internal affairs.  I never cancelled any treaties; in fact, I upgraded several of them.  We thank our allies across the globe for their friendship and support through this ordeal.  All alliances are welcome to come to get to know us better at our forums.

Gorgoth is so concerned about her former members that she is willing to threaten the alliance herself because the unanimous leadership decided against her wishes.

We were fair and reasonable.  She threw a tantrum.  End of story.

Edited by Maegor

Maegor comments are correct. Do not judge us for the comment of one disgruntled Ex member.Judge us for what you see on our forums and get to know the group of us.You may just like what you see. ^_^ 

Edited by Rocket23

The Freehold of Valyria has not until the last two days signed any formal treaties at all (including that of a protectorate). We share in good relations with CotM as tech dealing partners. We value that friendship, and indeed we've been relaying closely with them about the events surrounding General Gorgoths departure. We appreciate international recognition for the rightful government of Valyria, led by her members from a blend of the original alliances (including The Mages Guild). 

We realise that the OWF is nothing without a bit of drama every once and a while. Whilst what has been painted in the original post is dramatic of a usurper stealing a throne, our conviction is that like in all CN drama, the details get exaggerated and lost. The tantrum of a past member is nothing more than theatrics. 

If you want to assess where Valyria is - the best place to do so is to come to our forums as a friend. www.thefreeholdcn.com

Defiance

Unanimous leadership? You never consulted anyone outside of gov and of gov half of them didn't find out until after the coup. Me and Daario for example, both of whom were on the trium. That my friend is a coup. As to the treaties you messaged me on discord to tell me as such. I will PM the evidence to anyone who wants it. I can't seem to attach the image here.

As for being fair and reasonable, he decided to throw me out of gov, strip all of my privileges and assign me the title (but none of the power to carry out the function) of High Justice and only then because of the intervention of someone else. His reasonable offer was for me to suck it up and accept his control. I agreed to a merger where my members would be in a democratic and fair alliance, within a month he seized control and destroyed over a year of effort. Do not believe his lies. 

You also kicked out Physc, who contacted me apparently without explanation although I know he supported me on the announcements. I ask all to judge this by merit and fact. Although this was the first I learned of what had happened.

To: General Gorgoth    From: Maegor    Date: 4/5/2017 7:19:33 PM

Subject: Update

As you're probably finding out now, we've instituted some governmental changes today. This charter is approved by every single member of our government. We find this to be the best path forward.

When the barberians were at the gate, the Senate would appoint one man to save the realm, via whatever means necessary. That is where we are, now. 

This is not a firing or a coup. This is a reorganization that I think if you stop and look at, actually benefits all of us.

You will serve as our High Justice, responsible for overseeing all judicial proceedings and providing a high moral standard for our alliance. It is an honorable position that we could think of none other to fill.

For the sake of our alliance that we helped found, I urge to to work with us on making our alliance stronger and better. When the world looks back, wouldn't you rather be a powerful, founding member of the great alliance in CN? Let us save our alliance, together.

Respectfully, 
Maegor

It was not unanimous, there was no clear threat, he ignored the charter and didn't include two of the trium at least, there was no immediate threat, the new charter was rushed through in under a day with no open discussions and no vote by the alliance. How can I be asked to serve as justice when the people around me have committed a coup and violated the most basic rules of any alliance like following the charter. And this was not the alliance I founded, I founded one with democracy, discussion and elections. Not what Maegor has done. And Maegor tell me where you told the truth in that message

And also as to Lucius I had to put it on the OWF as at the moment Maegor is cutting me out of every line of communication with anyone in the Freehold.I cannot even tell how many people he's screwed over. I know at least half of the active members I know were screwed over by him

2 minutes ago, Maegor said:

I think OWF troll is a fair career change for you.

Seems a lot smarter than you.  If your going launch a coup, you should have all your ducks in a row first.  Then things like this would not happen.  

2 minutes ago, The Big Bad said:

Seems a lot smarter than you.  If your going launch a coup, you should have all your ducks in a row first.  Then things like this would not happen.  

Thanks, after watching over a year's effort torn apart, it's nice to see I have some support

Perhaps it will be nothing more than a warning to others to beware dealings with Maegor. Perhaps it will serve to let members of the Freehold know what happened once Maegor deletes all my comments as he had already been doing rather than explaining himself. In the end this is the last thing I can do for the ghost of the Freehold. I hadn't cried in a long time before this happened but this whole incident has left me devastated. Maybe all it will be is me venting rather than going back to self harming or attempting suicide but even if that is all it accomplishes then I'd say it is worth it.

" As you're probably finding out now, we've instituted some governmental changes today. This charter is approved by every single member of our government "

But wasn't GG gov? How could he have already approved if he was just finding out?

6 minutes ago, Canik said:

" As you're probably finding out now, we've instituted some governmental changes today. This charter is approved by every single member of our government "

But wasn't GG gov? How could he have already approved if he was just finding out?

The charter was vague 

If it looks like a coup and sounds like a coup, then it probably is a coup. Poor showing, The Freehold.

Course I have no vested interest in the matter. If you wanted me to do you a favor, GG, and lob some nukes The Freehold's way it probably wasn't a good idea to join an alliance I more or less detest.  ;)

1 hour ago, Morphine said:

I like daario from his time leading The Ironborn. General Gorgoth well - weve had our moments but Who is maegor?

Exactly.

42 minutes ago, Canik said:

GG's incompetent?

20 minutes ago, SirWilliam said:

If it looks like a coup and sounds like a coup, then it probably is a coup. Poor showing, The Freehold.

Course I have no vested interest in the matter. If you wanted me to do you a favor, GG, and lob some nukes The Freehold's way it probably wasn't a good idea to join an alliance I more or less detest.  ;)

Just because the baby in the room is screaming bloody murder about a "coup" does not make it a coup.  With the exception of GG and her clone, we are exactly as we were -- except stronger.  Our government and alliance is completely unified, and we are a sovereign alliance with allies who will support such.

You can see here from the former charter: 

"Diadoch

A. The Diadoch shall serve as the People’s representative. The Diadoch is charged with fighting corruption and oppression in the name of all Valyrians. The office’s main purpose is to provide a check against the Dragonlords. The Diadoch shall serve as the presiding officer over the Tribunal, establishing rules of order and other officers as he sees fit. He shall have powers to order investigations into scandals or corruption, issue subpoenas pertaining to investigations, and issue various demands or instructions from the Tribunal as requested by a majority of the Tribunal.

B. The Diadoch shall have veto power over all actions of the Dragonlords. The veto may be overridden by a unanimous second vote.

C. The Diadoch shall serve for an indefinite term, subject to resignation, death, impeachment via the Tribunal, or a vote of confidence per the unanimous request of the Dragonlords.

1. If the Dragonlords pass a unanimous request for a vote of confidence, the entirety of The Freehold shall vote. If a 75% supermajority of Valyrians vote against the Diadoch, he shall step down from his office.

D. Succession: The Diadoch, upon the office being vacated, is elected by the entirety of The Freehold. The prior Diadoch may nominate a successor, who shall be the de facto nominee for the office. However, if a successor is not named, or the successor chosen is not satisfactory, any Valyrian in good standing may put their name forth, or the name forth of another. In either circumstance, all Valyrians shall vo-----"

Clearly this position was overpowered. I'm not saying it was right. I don't now ALL the circumstances of this event and I'm not a Freehold member. But I know that this thread has taken things to far, that the path to power was there, and that if the goal was a balanced post-merge government was the goal...this wasn't it. 

Any attack move on Freehold members will be condemned by The First Order. 

1 hour ago, Canik said:

Stop using logic.  Maegor said it was all legit, why would he lie?  Oh yeah, because he took over the alliance in a coup and does not want anybody questioning him.  You just know this alliance is on the way to the great dustbin of history.