What an I doing wrong?

Scarface99

Total Collection Amount $34,738.81

Total Cost of All Bills $25,705.42

Left with a pittance. This certainly doesn't help:

Received Expiration Event Description Response Options Current Response
1/24/2017 2/23/2017 There was a radiation leak at one of your nations nuclear power plants. Option selected. See Current Response.

Option 1: Pay for the healthcare of the victims and research ways to minimize the damage to your economy. Citizen income -$3.00.

1/23/2017 2/22/2017 A major earthquake has rocked your northern territories causing severe damage to some of the villages located there. Option selected. See Current Response.

Option 1: Send building materials to rebuild the damaged areas. Citizen income -$5.00.

The events are just bad luck unfortunately, not much you can do about them.

As for your nation... honestly you don't know where to start, no offence, my first nation was an absolute train wreck when it was older than yours, but just expecting to be able to start up without help is unrealistic.

First of all to begin growing you will need:

1. Improvements (income without them is obviously very low, there are many guides detailing how to buy them)

2. External source of cash (through either free aid or tech deals)

3. Trade circle.

You also should be in war mode and scrap the tanks, which add unnecessarily to your bills. Obviously to do all of this you will likely have to join an alliance to help you get started, I'm sure you have already received plenty of offers.

You're doing okay.

When you are active, by Collecting Taxes and Paying Bills you get the chance of having an Event. It appears to be about a 50/50 chance of positive/negative Events. The Administrator of this game created so many negative Events that it actually punishes players for being active. He needs to change this if he wants people to continue playing this game.

You shouldn't be punished for creating a new nation and trying to play. So I've sent you an aid package to help you get started.

Edited by Ch33kY

58 minutes ago, Blackatron said:

You also should be in war mode and scrap the tanks, which add unnecessarily to your bills. Obviously to do all of this you will likely have to join an alliance to help you get started, I'm sure you have already received plenty of offers.

That I did but I don't know, joining an alliance seems like such a big commitment. I want to make sure I join one that suits me. So war/peace mode seemed like a catch-22.

1 hour ago, Ch33kY said:

You're doing okay.

When you are active, by Collecting Taxes and Paying Bills you get the chance of having an Event. It appears to be about a 50/50 chance of positive/negative Events. The Administrator of this game created so many negative Events that it actually punishes players for being active. He needs to change this if he wants people to continue playing this game.

You shouldn't be punished for creating a new nation and trying to play. So I've sent you an aid package to help you get started.

o/

If only more people and alliances shared your generosity. Agree absolutely, I like events, but as the system stands it is detrimental, activity should only be rewarded. Also kudos for editing your post to make it a bit more nuanced.

25 minutes ago, Scarface99 said:

That I did but I don't know, joining an alliance seems like such a big commitment. I want to make sure I join one that suits me. So war/peace mode seemed like a catch-22.

It is a commitment but its a crucial step everybody has to make. Join my alliance Order of Tenebris. We are protected by The Templar Knights. I am very active and I will be available to help and guide you all day long. I like guiding new nations. Myself I got help from a variety of experienced players when I was in your stage.

Joining us is very easy. No forum signups and no application signups of any kind. Just click join in our alliance page and you are all set with instant confirmation.

Edited by Roal36

Basically just cut your losses. Don't buy any military in the beginning, aside from soldiers which are mandatory. You'll want to buy some infrastructure (small amounts to start) and as you buy more, it'll unlock improvements. Focus on your income boosting improvements at first to help give you more money on hand. I started at 28% tax rate and haven't touched it since. Others may have their own opinions on this, but get the max money you can out of them because chances are they won't be happy in the beginning anyway.

From there, post on the Black Market or do what I did and just message a higher-strength nation looking for tech deals. If they have a spot open, they'd be more than happy to help you as it benefits them also. They'll send you money, you'll send them tech after 10 days, and so forth. This is your primary source of income at the start and probably 97% of the money you'll earn. The last thing I'd look into is trade circles. Form the one that best suits your play-style and just search for people with the resources you chose.

As said before - join an Alliance. This will make it easier to grow. Not only for protection, but guides. tips. and resources. Plus, this game is much more fun when you join in the social aspect.

If there's anything else I can help with, let me know!

• 2 months later...

Heh, what's it like playing as Japan?

As mentioned, if you don't enjoy these kinds of things you can join an Alliance for aid. Many are inactive, as the game is slightly more subdued and slow-paced than previously. You can then get aid and let others build your nation, as well as forming trade circles along the Alliance's guidelines. They might also have helpful guides on how to 'run' your nation, along with the game's advice on which political systems to use, etc. However, you have got some aid already, which might help your nation with this dilemma. If you are grateful and would like more, then joining an Alliance is an easy way to get more.

In general, war mode might be useful if you don't enjoy the slowness, however it also leaves you open to external influence. If you're spending aid, keep this as a consideration, or someone might steal it from you. Further, joining an Alliance would lead to you being less vulnerable if you were in war mode. If that's considered a burden, be careful as maintaining a sufficient army along with other things might also be burdensome. As mentioned, without Alliance aid and tech deals, if you're feeling bogged down looking for similar kinds of deals on the forum, etc., might be useful.

• 2 months later...
On 1/24/2017 at 7:42 AM, Blackatron said:

o/

If only more people and alliances shared your generosity. Agree absolutely, I like events, but as the system stands it is detrimental, activity should only be rewarded. Also kudos for editing your post to make it a bit more nuanced.

Even without events though activity is not rewarded. Economic efficiency means you should only be collecting after you make an infrastructure jump, and back collecting...