Anyone around from the Old Days?

IUAlpert

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/29/2016 at 10:55 PM, Teddyyo said:

If you'd be willing to share, I have no objections.  I'm interested in the methods NPO used for coalition building and maintaining eminence.  

Edit: I'd very appreciate quoting me in response, I tend to forget about checking on this part of the forums so the notification will aide greatly.

It's simple really. First NPO found a bunch of up and coming alliances, promised friendship, helped build them up, and then used them to take out their enemies. Those allies grew and eventually wanted an equal partnership rather than simply remain subservient to the NPO. However, by that point NPO had found replacements and ensured their old allies took most of the blame for NPO's sins. Then they turned on their old allies. Rinse. Repeat.

2 hours ago, Rebel Virginia said:

It's simple really. First NPO found a bunch of up and coming alliances, promised friendship, helped build them up, and then used them to take out their enemies. Those allies grew and eventually wanted an equal partnership rather than simply remain subservient to the NPO. However, by that point NPO had found replacements and ensured their old allies took most of the blame for NPO's sins. Then they turned on their old allies. Rinse. Repeat.

Was it thought out, or just a result of decisions as they went?

1 hour ago, Teddyyo said:

Was it thought out, or just a result of decisions as they went?

The NPO was never good at planning things long term, but they were first class opportunists. When they saw a chance to take out a strong ally they took it. However, the strategy did backfire after a few years as I told them it would (in 2007).

1 hour ago, Rebel Virginia said:

The NPO was never good at planning things long term, but they were first class opportunists. When they saw a chance to take out a strong ally they took it. However, the strategy did backfire after a few years as I told them it would (in 2007).

That certainly helps explain things.  In 2007: Following a specific event?

24 minutes ago, Teddyyo said:

That certainly helps explain things.  In 2007: Following a specific event?

Just prior to the war against the UJP. NPO was already planning on turning on Polaris before that war started. Although the top leadership denied it, the writing was clear enough for me at least to see. I told them it would be a mistake. A few months later I was forced from the NPO. However, I still take satisfaction is seeing the empty shell of an alliance that they have become since then.

8 minutes ago, Rebel Virginia said:

Just prior to the war against the UJP. NPO was already planning on turning on Polaris before that war started. Although the top leadership denied it, the writing was clear enough for me at least to see. I told them it would be a mistake. A few months later I was forced from the NPO. However, I still take satisfaction is seeing the empty shell of an alliance that they have become since then.

Fascinating.  Thanks for the inside info.

Maybe folks should set up something like a class reunion.  "Welcome Sparta '09" or Welcome GPA '07", then folks who were in those AAs then could go in and lie to each other about what they've been up to over the years.....you know, like a real class reunion. 

I'm currently on my unknownth nation (none concurrent!) so at least I have plausible deniability with respect to how long I've been here.

(June 2006, btw.... I had the distinction of being the first rogue nuclear attack [REMEMBER WHEN THAT WAS A THING?] in GW3)

10 hours ago, Rebel Virginia said:

It was mostly Dilber. At least, that's what he seemed to want me to believe when he was telling me in advance of the outright attack on the NpO.

It's probable that Dilber was leading the charge. I generally liked Moo, but he was never the strongest of leaders and was easily swayed by any IO with a stronger personality. The botched second attack on FAN (the one that blew all the staggers and allowed them to cycle in and out of peace mode for over a year) was made possible by his IOs enlisting a few of their buddies in Toilet Seat and allowing them to do whatever they pleased. Moo apparently had reservations, but didn't think to say anything to his allies (or at least that is what he told me when I chewed him out for the incompetence demonstrated in the initial attack).

But yes, Dilber I never saw much of in the NPO. He kept mainly to the high level forums, and I was never part of the inner circle because I never became a mindless yes-man. But I saw his IOs in action, and they started distrusting me the moments I showed sympathy to NpO in the lead up to the UJP war.

On 12/2/2016 at 10:36 AM, kingzog said:

I'm currently on my unknownth nation (none concurrent!) so at least I have plausible deniability with respect to how long I've been here.

I used to think that. But on my latest:

4/3/2013 6:35:42 AM (1,340 Days)

I've already had for 3.5 years... which is a long time too.

Hard to believe that I first started this endeavor about 10 years ago (!)..

2007-2012 was intermittently the Federal era of Nord Belka

then we partied off line for 2yrs, it was grand and lots of sim city was played.

2014-present is the Republic era of Nord Belka

Some throwback propaganda from when I used to actually RP, I believe this to be from the Karma war

BOMBED.png

Edited by Razgriz24
edit

Well i started playing CN in 2007.  Monos Archein, The Gremlins, Maroon War.. Echelon.. and many other things to remember.