What is the status of owed tech when the buyer doesn't accept in time?

Blackatron

I was wondering what the general convention/consensus is on this issue; in a regular tech deal (IE, one buyer, one seller, sending directly to each other) what is the status of the owed tech if the seller does not managed to accept the tech before it expires? Does the seller still owe the tech to the buyer just as before? Is the sellers part done since the tech has been offered and the buyer simply failed to accept it? What if the seller sends the tech a second time and it is again not accepted before expiring?

Since aid slots are more finite and thus more valuable than tech to nations with 100 tech or money to nations with lots of infra+ wonders it certainly could be argued that is the aid slot that is actually being purchased (or rented), and thus the seller has completed his part of the transaction as soon as the aid expires, regardless of whether it was accepted or not. If one follows this line of reasoning then it could be argued that if someone fails to accept money for a tech deal before it expires, then they still owe the tech as they used up one of the buyer's aid slots for 10 days.

TTK doesn't have any "official" position, but generally it seems that sellers in my alliance are expected to "try again" if the tech is not accepted the first time, I was wondering what positions other alliances had officially or unofficially to this situation.

Note that obviously if the seller is below 100 tech for most of the time the foreign aid is active then I think we'd all agree that it is the seller's fault, and thus he should send again.

4 hours ago, Blackatron said:

I was wondering what the general convention/consensus is on this issue; in a regular tech deal (IE, one buyer, one seller, sending directly to each other) what is the status of the owed tech if the seller does not managed to accept the tech before it expires? Does the seller still owe the tech to the buyer just as before? Is the sellers part done since the tech has been offered and the buyer simply failed to accept it? What if the seller sends the tech a second time and it is again not accepted before expiring?

Since aid slots are more finite and thus more valuable than tech to nations with 100 tech or money to nations with lots of infra+ wonders it certainly could be argued that is the aid slot that is actually being purchased (or rented), and thus the seller has completed his part of the transaction as soon as the aid expires, regardless of whether it was accepted or not. If one follows this line of reasoning then it could be argued that if someone fails to accept money for a tech deal before it expires, then they still owe the tech as they used up one of the buyer's aid slots for 10 days.

There are buyers who allow their tech shipments to expire before picking them up?!  Dude!!! 

It's a seller's world out there.  Personally (assuming this is a situation where the buyer has not sent out any notice to the sellers saying he or she is going to be late for whatever reason) I would say drop that buyer and find another active one who at least logs on enough to pick his/her tech up.  Yeah, this is assuming that the seller isn't one of those types that keep only 100 tech.  Any seller who does that needs to be active and restock as needed.  If there are problems in that situation, the seller should either get more active or buy enough tech to cover all the buyers.

In the situation you describe, I would also make sure the seller does not delete the evidence of the attempt and send a message to the buyer saying "I tried, let me know when you log back in when you're around and I'll see what I can do." 

If there is a econ person in the alliance, also send him or her a message about the buyer allowing the tech offer to expire. 

Maybe the econ person can find another tech seller who isn't all that good at being on time and have the two tech deal with each other at their own schedules.  That way, it isn't like one can reasonably get mad at the other when neither of them are all that good about dealing.  Have your active people tech deal with other active people.

Edited by White Chocolate

1 minute ago, White Chocolate said:

There are buyers who allow their tech shipments to expire before picking them up?!  Dude!!! 

It's a sellers world out there,  personally (assuming this is a situation where the buyer has not sent out any notice to the sellers saying he or she is going to be late for whatever reason) then I would say drop that buyer and find another active one.  Don't delete the evidence of the attempt though and send a message the buyer saying "I tried, let me know when you log back in when you're around and I'll see what I can do."  If there is a econ person in the alliance, also send him or her a message about the buyer allowing the tech offer to expire.  Maybe the econ person can find another tech seller who isn't all that good at being on time and have the two tech deal with each other at their own schedules.

Thanks for the response.

To the bolded; yes, it's what I get for joining an alliance on Maroon :P.

In all seriousness it is not a very common issue, I've probably sent out approaching 100 lots of tech at this point and there have been precisely 3 instances where it hasn't ben accepted, in 2 it wasn't actually paid for directly anyway, and in the other I took the italicised approach and got it to him when Maroon got an extra aid slot.

This isn't something I've run into as MoIA yet, and I suspect when it does happen people are probably perfectly able to deal with it themselves, though it is nice to get some outsider opinions on how such things should be conducted should it ever come up.

If the tech IS available 100% of the offer time and the buyer doesn't pick up that's tough luck on the buyer.  If it's one of those things where the tech was only there part of the time then it is on the seller to offer it again.  Simple way around it is to send pms and if they were not opened you know the buyer is at fault.  

Keep the cash and go buy candy.