Altered Prizes to Encourage Participation

Caladin

The prizes we receive for succeeding in TE are nice; there is no denying it. However, they are nice on an individual level and as such don't encourage mass participation.

I propose we change this, and make the prizes ones that SE alliances would find highly desirable and thus worth fighting for, while also remaining simple for admin to award and desirable on an individual level - I propose that instead of donations, tech and land are awarded to the recipients of prizes to be distributed as is seen fit by that recipient.

For instance, the largest alliance at the end of the round could win maybe 5000 technology; a large enough amount that many alliances in SE would be willing to dedicate considerable effort and numbers towards winning, revitalising TE, while also maybe causing some tensions in SE as, say, NPO and IRON's TE alliances fight it out for the prizes.

Part of the fun of TE is that it is, almost entirely, distinguishable from its SE brother. Take a look at the alliances at the moment. The largest two alliances, TDO and D1, are not based on any particular SE alliances, and have players sourced from everywhere. I fear that implementing something like this would take the individuality away from TE alliances, and turn us into just another SE playing field.

Perhaps that is so, though I would, to some extent, disagree, but the fact remains that extremely few people, possible few enough to make the game unviable, play TE these days; encouraging greater participation is important in ensuring its continuation, and as a bonus more players should mean increased revenue for admin to pay for the upkeep of the servers etc.

Implementing this would probably see the active TE population at least triple; when I brought Eurasia in from the NPO we easily became the largest alliance in the game, and that was with no real incentive for us to compete - mainly we just wanted a flag, and that we could get just by voting for a senator

I am actually in favor of this. While I understand where Cazaric is coming from, the ugly part is that it wouldn't hurt us to bring more alliances over from std.

I'd rather have STD alliances in TE than no alliances at all. Over the past few years, I have seen such a drastic decline that I almost don't think TE will be around for another year at its current pace.

Bring em over!

I'd rather have STD alliances in TE than no alliances at all. Over the past few years, I have seen such a drastic decline that I almost don't think TE will be around for another year at its current pace.

If you're going to say TE then you should be consistent and say SE. STD means something completely different anyway :gag:

Lets not do that. Not permanently. Just like the 100M round, do mega SE awards randomly once this year or even annually.

Fair point. Maybe see how it goes? If player activity and numbers go up considerably, then maybe do it more often; if they change very little then maybe don't do it again at all. The great thing with TE is we can do a one round test easily enough, see how it goes.

Part of the fun of TE is that it is, almost entirely, distinguishable from its SE brother. Take a look at the alliances at the moment. The largest two alliances, TDO and D1, are not based on any particular SE alliances, and have players sourced from everywhere. I fear that implementing something like this would take the individuality away from TE alliances, and turn us into just another SE playing field.

The individuality of TE alliances wouldn't be threatened.  TE's always been a blend of completely inter-SE AA's, and AA's with largely common origins on the other side.  What has really taken away from TE has been this slow death from atrophy, taking us from thousands of players to just over a couple hundred.  Make no mistake: the trajectory we are on right now means this game will become extinct.  Making prizes accessible en-masse that are relevant to SE does invite some changes, but these are changes that will take us back where we once were.

I've probably said this at least ten times now in our roundly "overhaul the prizes" petition to admin, but I've always seen a tiered in-game reward system that preserves the elite prestige of taking home a flag while providing beneficial but still generalized rewards would be ideal.  As an example - and, an example I've refined over time each time I've brought it up -

Tier One: "Joining and Being Active": Building to at least 10k NS (child's play even for a noob), being active for at least 1/2 of a round's existence, participating in at least three wars, attaining at least 50,000 casualties

- Your SE nation can build +1 Stadium.  One time only award.

Tier Two: "Whole Round Devotee" Tier: Same as above, but you begin your nation on either Day 1 or Day 2, and remain active until the end of the round

- Your nation gains a permanent bonus of +1 happiness. If you finish Tier Two for more than one round in a row, you get a stacking bonus of +1 happiness up to +3 happiness max (after three rounds, you'll get addicted like us.)

Tier Three: "Formidable Warrior" Tier: The top 10% NS of players end of round become eligible to build a wonder.  Something with unique effects - maybe "Foreign Trading Adminstration - +2 Aid Slots" in keeping with the tournament nature of Planet Steve.  You can't bullshit your way to this.  You don't get into the top 10% by accident.

After this, keep the regular flag prizes largely unchanged, but add some kind of bonus in SE beyond simply having your own flag.  Maybe provide a great degree of customization; there was a proposal in SE done by admin on that side of the OWF a few years ago where discussions occurred about custom ethnicity, currency, etc.  Perhaps an in-game medal next to your SE nation (like the Team Senator/Recordholder medal), or even the long-coveted 6th trade slot and lv10 planes :P

I seriously implore admin to consider this.  I think I speak for most everyone in saying we love TE.  When everyone else drifted away, we became more hardcore, we pushed the game to limits it had never reached before, building huger and warring huger each round.  Now imagine a TE in a couple rounds after these proposals were made.  People joining from SE in droves, new alliances rising here, the best of the old combining with the best of the new to create a TE full of multi-tiered alliances with seasoned veterans and new players alike.  The alliance structure would naturally encourage and disseminate things like building guides as it always has.  From a practical and money-making perspective, it would also mean new people donating TE-side for increased odds at the coveted higher-tier rewards.

In TE you don't need to be a 10 year player to rise to greatness.  You only need to want it, and be willing to stick with it.  Let's incentivize this.  It's radical but at this point we've got nowhere to go but up.

And I do not want to lose TE.  It is worth saving.  It would be irreplaceable to lose.

It is not radical. IT SHOULD BE DONE. I would ask Admin or a rep to weigh in with a response here if possible please & thanks. Would maintaing this level of a tiered award system over burden CN Staff? Is there anything as players that we can do to make something like what Nick has proposed here a reality? A response @ your earliest convenience would be most welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Yo my suggestion would be put TE were SE is in your head for a min.  A fast pace game everyone starts off equal then in a short period of time you conquer.  TE is the great game of Champions proven over and over thru the editions.  Still with that same thought make the awards, medals, prizes etc higher or more recognised as the new Lead Game of Cyber Nations. Strategise with advertising in college social sites CN:TE challenge game master (contests).   New TE Starts ups (new buisness), SE would become the secondary product game and grow also.

Sorta out of the saddle mentions

Edited by Hoosier