I've been playing this game since 2006 and now I'm officially retiring.

Poppa Clam

I don't want to write a long, drawn-out speech, so here are cliff notes.

-Started playing in 2006 as an awkward 13 year old 8th grader

-After bouncing aroun learning the game, I ended up in GOLD and served in GW2, DI, GW4 aka Unjust War

-GOLD folded and I joined TPF and had a blast.

-I eventually helped with Vox Populi, founded my own alliance (SOAP) among other things

-Eventually ended up in GPF and helped built that alliance up from the ground

-I have witnessed many major events in CN History, watching the game start off with only a handful of people, seeing 1000+ man alliances, the rise and fall of WUT, The League, GUARD, etc.

-GGA, LUE, NAAC, the original GOONS, TOOL, my beloved GOLD, \m/, Atlantis and others are now nothing more than memories.

-Have witnessed the historic reigns of every NPO emperor from Ivan to Moo to Mary and now Letum.

-Have made many friends and rivals over the last 10 years, most of whom are long gone, myself being among the last still here.

-Lots of other things I'm too lazy to mention

-It's been a great 10 years but it's time for me to move on. Maybe I'll come back around refreshed and ready to be active in CN politics again but as of right now, the tank is on empty.

Edited by Poppa Clam

Just going to throw it out there... my alliance has been compared more than once to the glory days of 2007 B-)

Only by you.  Sheesh.  You even made this guy's farewell thread about you.

I didn't know you Poppa Clam, but I wish you well in whatever journeys you may find yourself.

Thank you everybody for the well wishes and farewells. I'm just going to have some fun over the next couple of days doing the one thing I have never done in my entire CN career before officially deleting my nation and calling it quits.

Edited by Poppa Clam

I used to play the game as part of the bigger system. I joined a high average NS alliance in Citadel, I rose in rank both within my alliance and the Citadel. Worked within the Citadel to get anti-NPO alliances in and keep pro-NPO alliances out. Eventually with a Charter change proposed by others the system would be changed to have a King. I threw my name in as a candidate and won in a land slide. (Everyone voted for me, except one abstainer) I implemented programs to get us almost fully nuke capable and our NS strength grew from sub-500k NS when I was made King to over 1.8m NS in time for the Karma War, me working with others made made sure the Citadel was on the side of Karma. My alliance along with the Gremlins declared on IRON, one of NPO's strongest allies and also an ally to TOP who was also in the Citadel. For the greater good my alliance and Gremlins declared on IRON despite sharing a mutual ally. This pushed TOP to realizing they needed to pick the right side and also ended up on the side of Karma.

So I've played the game how most due, working as a power player behind the scene, climbing up the ranks from within an established alliance & only posting if for an important announcements or showing support for allies. After the Karma War I wasn't as active anymore without an adversary, so I eventually stepped down while leaving in response to someone else I trusted wanting to fill my spot.

After I left, I was bored of playing that way and wanted to be more free. I figured doing as I pleased & going solo would be a nice retirement. Defeating NPO was the scope and scale of what I wanted to accomplish when I started playing this game, but now that its been accomplished I just to try to keep the game from getting so boring I don't bother logging in anymore.

For me less boring has developed into me using my influence to change the world around me to being one worth sticking around in. If you want to keep your nation in retirement on Brown, I'll keep you safe from sanctions should you go solo.

Good luck & I probably should have made a more complete retirement ages ago. Although now I have new friends and allies which rely on me, so I stick around still for that.

Edited by Sephiroth

More and more we fall, the crowd of 2006 .. Never crossed your path that I recall, though our paths seemed fairly nearby each other in the earlier years. Good luck outside this shrinking world of ours; keep your head up and your ass covered.

Just trying to help with nation-ruler retention, after all we've proven our ability there.

Anyway best of luck and hope you come back to activity soon enough!

I've got an inferiority complex. Validate me. Validate!!

Geez - the pair of you .. This thread, not about either of you ..

More and more we fall, the crowd of 2006 .. Never crossed your path that I recall, though our paths seemed fairly nearby each other in the earlier years. Good luck outside this shrinking world of ours; keep your head up and your ass covered.

Geez - the pair of you .. This thread, not about either of you ..

With goals people have a reason for playing and putting effort into growing an alliance & reason behind every poltical tie. Also with ambitious goals, people can also support can gain the support needed to lead an alliance if others decide to share those goals, since those with similar goals will support someone who is trying to consistently trying to lead them in a direction they support. It makes them part of something bigger and gives them a reason to keep playing beyond just building up their infra/tech. So the moral of my story was not enough alliance leaders have ambitions these days & less people would quit if more leaders of strong conviction, as well as goals, were leading some of the bigger alliances. Almost all the sanctioned alliances lack any ambition or have leaders who have tried to lead their alliance rather than just fill the position.

After I left FCC, about 6 months after the Karma War, with no ambitions left I considered quitting many times and got in many fights where alliances tried very to push me out of the game. Just testing the limits of my nation & seeing if it was possible to eliminate someone who acts outside the system was what kept me semi-interested. I didn't find a new big ambition until 2015 when I ran for the Senate to create a color which is sanction free, in order to prevent bigger alliances from pushing less connected ones out of existence by cutting off their ability to interact with anyone other than those attacking them. When fighting GOONS on my own in very long conflicts where they tried everything they could to destroy me, I noticed the closest they could ever get to eliminating me was by getting me sanctioned on every color. Although there was always at least one color I was able to get myself unsanctioned on.

I used to speak out about unjust sanctions as being a problem, but it wasn't until I was doing something about I started to gain a lot of supporters & grow mostly outside of the established system controlling most colors before I won. So the moral is people need to be more ambitious, fight for the causes they think are just even it would require overturning the system in place since they began playing. When I first started playing NPO ruled with an iron fist and most were scared to even speak out against them on the forum. I set my mind to overthrowing that system & was a very successful leader with that ambition driving me. Its taken many years to find a new ambition to drive me towards success, but had I not ran for the Brown Senate & set my goal on making a team where people don't get sanctioned for trivial reasons with no way of getting them removed; I would have already quit. Its only because I have ambitions I'm motivated to continue & my amount of supporters keeps growing.

So there is a take away moral to my little story from self experience which is relevant to people leaving and what people need to do if they want to make people motivated again. Let those who are ambitious in leading take the leadership position in an alliance rather than keep a place holder safe choice. Those who want to rise in alliance, have goals which you based your decisions and support of treaties on. If there is a consistency to what  you support & its leading somewhere interesting, you are more likely to gain support than if you stand for nothing except self preservation.

Edited by Sephiroth

Thank you everybody for the well wishes and farewells. I'm just going to have some fun over the next couple of days doing the one thing I have never done in my entire CN career before officially deleting my nation and calling it quits.

No need for regicide. The uncivilized age when a nation's citizenry would rise up to execute their sovereign after neglecting his duties of government for 25 days are in the past. In the modern era, societies watch over their nations in their leader's absence, very often inviting him to return to power to quickly restore all the wonders of their past civilization.

:P

We all look forward to seeing you again when your mind has been refreshed from all the stresses of your long and storied service on Planet Bob.

Good luck on your journey, and thanks again.