These are the wonders in my consideration:

• Disaster Relief Agency
  • Great University
  • Internet
  • Interstate System
  • National Research Lab
  • Stock Market

Disaster Relief Agency
It's an essential wonder in the TE. In this SE, it can also be good because it opens 1 extra foreign aid slot, and my nation size is mini, so I depend on tech deals to fund my nation. In peace time, increasing population is also something good.

Basically, this wonder is good both for war time and peace time.

Great University and National Research Lab
I'm a tech seller. These 2 wonders will indirectly benefit me a lot, because I'll be able to buy techs at even lower price = more profit.

National Research Lab doesn't decrease tech much, but the 5% increase of population makes both of them about the same.

Interstate System
This is another must-have wonder in TE, otherwise you're on the wrong track. Indeed, my current SE nation the tax:bill ratio is really bad, and I'm on the way fixing it with the strategies I've gained.

I'm also looking forward to starting to invest on my infrastructure so that I can compete with other early players in the game that joined around my date. My nation is below standard because I was nuked by a joker, simply to restrict political freedom even after I'm kicked out of the dictatorship ruled alliance.

This wonder will greatly reduce the cost of infrastructure purchase, saving me a lot of money mathematically.

Internet and Stock Market
These 2 wonders are quite decent for your economy so it can compete with the Interstate System wonder too since it increases your tax ratio. I won't be very active next year, but I can collect/pay tax daily.

So for long term basis, this is quite good.

So which should I buy?
I'm stuck.

I've 2 options that can slightly reduce the choices:

• since I'm only free this year, I shall buy Interstate System and start restructuring my economy so that next year all I need to do is to collect/pay bills daily. Nothing else.
  • Yes, I can invest on infrastructure if I buy Interstate System, but my money is just enough to purchase the wonder. So I don't have enough money to spend on infrastructure immediately after the wonder is purchased. It'll take some time for me to slowly earn. Therefore, wonders that increases my tax ratio is a good choice.

Even after reducing, I still have a few options to choose.

Someone please advise me?

Of the wonders you listed, I think the DRA would pay for itself most efficiently (maybe two and a half months until you start making profit, with your FAC and twenty day tech deals).

Wonders which affect population size, happiness, income, or infrastructure fees are a lot more useful when you reach a larger infra level (significantly amplifying the wonder's benefits); but while you are still small, any of them could take a year to pay for themselves.

Example: let's say you buy the stock market. It gives a $10 boost to income, but since you can only tax 28% of that income, your real profit is 2.8 per working citizen per day. You have a working population of about 20k at your current size, so daily profit is 56,000. Divide that into what the wonder cost you (30mil), and you discover it would take 535 days for it to pay for itself at your current size (one and a half years).

Obviously you aren't going to stay at 2k infra for a whole year, but the point is made that straight infra will probably pay for itself more quickly. So, as long as you don't think war is likely for your nation, I would advise first buying up to 5k infrastructure, which is the point you will be able to max out economic improvements. That investment will pay for itself more quickly than a wonder, at which point you can start making econ wonder purchases while still saving a warchest and a jump surplus.

The strategy might be a little different if you were expecting war (there is an annual rhythm to safe wonder purchases for small and mid-size military nations). But even if you aren't expecting to ever fight anybody, don't go beyond 5k infra without at least an MP and preferably SDI.

Though I'm sure there are plenty of dissenters to my view. :P

Of the wonders you listed, I think the DRA would pay for itself most efficiently (maybe two and a half months until you start making profit, with your FAC and twenty day tech deals).

Example: let's say you buy the stock market. It gives a $10 boost to income, but since you can only tax 28% of that income, your real profit is 2.8 per working citizen per day. You have a working population of about 20k at your current size, so daily profit is 56,000. Divide that into what the wonder cost you (30mil), and you discover it would take 535 days for it to pay for itself at your current size (one and a half years).

I agree. I'll purchase Disaster Relief Agency. Thanks for your enlightenment!

Obviously you aren't going to stay at 2k infra for a whole year, but the point is made that straight infra will probably pay for itself more quickly. So, as long as you don't think war is likely for your nation, I would advise first buying up to 5k infrastructure, which is the point you will be able to max out economic improvements. That investment will pay for itself more quickly than a wonder, at which point you can start making econ wonder purchases while still saving a warchest and a jump surplus.

Buying infrastructure without reducing tax:bill ratio, it isn't worth too.

Am I right?

Edited by XP Mai