Announcement from the Global Alliance and Treaty Organization - October Election Result

Hello,

I am the new Assembly Chairman of the Global Alliance and Treaty Organization for at least the next three months. I've been here on and off since the summer of 2006 though I've never been particularly loud. I've mostly served in the alliance's foreign affairs department during the times I was active, though I had a brief stint in finance as well. I'm well aware that we haven't been as active in maintaining relationships as we should be and well, to be honest, the filing cabinets are a bit of a mess since Greywall is a terrible record keeper, if an otherwise solid guy. During the next few weeks, I will be making time to do a thorough audit of our embassies abroad and on our own properties to take stock of where we stand and where I need to fix things. Feel free to pop by and post at http://gatoforums.net if you haven't recently and want to keep an embassy open with us.

I am not able to be on IRC more than a couple times a week, so if you need an official point of contact while I'm not on IRC, Overlord Wes (IRC nick: |}Wes{|) has agreed to serve in that role. A private message will usually get a quick reply from me.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming, I suppose.

How do you feel about the TPF rolling? Do you think that opens the door for those that historically don't like GATO but are in Oculus to be able to make moves against GATO?

That's a good question. I'm not very pro-war in general, but honestly, I've never really been a fan of The Phoenix Federation so my personal feelings about it are kind of up in the air. We support the New Pacific Order in their endeavors and we have a close relationship with them. With that relationship and their presence in Oculus, I feel like this particular concern shouldn't be an issue and I will also be speaking directly to Oculus member alliances to get an idea about how they feel about us. There's a lot of items on my To-Do List, but chief among them is the Global Alliance's security both now and in the future. If something comes up in the future that is a cause for concern, I will be speaking directly with the appropriate people to sort it all out - hopefully before it festers into something I can't tackle. Creating an avenue for open and honest dialogue is something that helps fix and avoid issues and so fostering that kind of communication is something that is very important to me and that is what I will be aiming for with everyone I talk to, not just our allies. We'll see how it goes!

Best of luck in these "interesting" times.

"Interesting" times, indeed. Thank you!

congrats, random question since i am not around anymore, hell last time i think i was on the owf was when the doom war ended at the beginning of the year. does GATO still have all the ministers? or is it just the Assembly Chairman these days?

The ministers are still there. I get to appoint them now and I'm in the process of confirming them all this week.

Next step will be making Assembly Chairman elected for life. :v

How do you feel about the TPF rolling? Do you think that opens the door for those that historically don't like GATO but are in Oculus to be able to make moves against GATO? 

I doubt the TPF rolling would have much to do with it if there was an alliance in Oculus that felt like we needed to be targeted. Hell we got some allies on the inside. maybe we can sign up to be one of the second class alliances... or maybe we'll get rolled for being quiet and not bothering anyone and fighting on their side over the last 2-3 years. You never can tell.  

Congratulations! I am sure you will serve GATO well. I have one question if you don't mind lending an answer: Does GATO support unprovoked attacks against peaceable alliances? 

MI6 and TPF are not well liked in our halls. I think it ranges from hatred to indifference for most.I am likely one of the very few with a soft spot for TPF and honestly while I wouldn't vote for being the aggressor in that case...if it's not a pal being hit....meh.

Congratulations! I am sure you will serve GATO well. I have one question if you don't mind lending an answer: Does GATO support unprovoked attacks against peaceable alliances? 

As magicninja stated, we're mostly indifferent towards the TPF situation, primarily due to not quite liking TPF and to recognizing that the situation is not as simple as "unprovoked attack on a peaceable alliance". We don't really have a history of shared values or goals and for a good portion of our shared history, TPF has been antagonistic towards GATO simply because of how the spheres of influence fell during those years. That can change in the future if TPF feels it's worth changing.

In general, though? Unprovoked attacks go against the values that the Global Alliance has held since its founding.

No offense meant here: But how are you leading an alliance when you don't use IRC?

It's pretty easy, putting aside the difficulties that come with leadership in the first place. Most of GATO isn't on IRC anymore in the first place, so we do a lot of our coordination using the forums. I really only need to get on IRC if I need to talk to foreign leadership in real time.

No offense meant here: But how are you leading an alliance when you don't use IRC?

That's the best way to guide an alliance, stay as far away as possible from the devils tools and if a pressing matter does happen launch Corvisa and the next thing you know were in a sip conference bridge with 3/4 the alliance.

Cograts Phyre, I'll get over to the halls as soon as I can.

IRC is a terrible tool for diplomacy.

I don't disagree, really!

That's the best way to guide an alliance, stay as far away as possible from the devils tools and if a pressing matter does happen launch Corvisa and the next thing you know were in a sip conference bridge with 3/4 the alliance.

Cograts Phyre, I'll get over to the halls as soon as I can.

Thanks. Corvisa looks intriguing, but I'm nearly deaf.

I look forward to seeing your posts!

Edited by DragonsPhyre