Tips on starting an alliance?

Gradea

First off, I would suggest you learned a little about the game, you'll need to have a basic grasp of Nation Building, and Diplomacy before you have any chance.
Secondly you are going to need some people who want to do the same, with you, and with a similar direction. Without these you'll just be an inactive shell.

I'd suggest joining an already established alliance to garner these skill before moving to any potential further steps

The only real key to a successful alliance is posting often on here.  Most alliances are ranked by this measure, so, it is a level playing field and fairly easy for a new alliance to be as important as the oldest ones.

The only real key to a successful alliance is posting often on here.  Most alliances are ranked by this measure, so, it is a level playing field and fairly easy for a new alliance to be as important as the oldest ones.

I thought the actual measure was being quoted and agreed with. That means you're giving up all your sovereignty and power to the person you're quoting.

Ooooh no. I've fallen into the trap.

(Any good alliance is just a group of people sticking together. If you don't already have people, you need to get them. And that's very difficult. Better to join one, and enjoy your time there, than to come out of the wilderness, and think you can bring together a band of pirates and homeless people, and make them all loyal to that very same group)

First off, I would suggest you learned a little about the game, you'll need to have a basic grasp of Nation Building, and Diplomacy before you have any chance.
Secondly you are going to need some people who want to do the same, with you, and with a similar direction. Without these you'll just be an inactive shell.

I'd suggest joining an already established alliance to garner these skill before moving to any potential further steps

^This. Very much this.

no matter what happens, don't listen to anyone. The hallmark of a successful micro alliance in this day and age is a tenacity and a blind believe in yourself no matter what.

Do whatever you want and do it your own way. That's your only chance. Don't copy anyone else's model.

rofl, underrated post.

See how LD's head is canted to her left? That was just from joining an alliance let alone starting one. Her alliance Web forums didn't auto rotate on her phone correctly and what you see in her avatar is the result.
This is why her view is never online with the rest if the world.
What ever you do. Have a decent mobile version of your alliance forums.

My advice is to recruit a few fellow nations and then merge into Supernova X for an officers position.

True Story: I merged a micro into IAA in 2007 in return for a Moff of Imperial Communications position, a few months later I was Imperial Regent, then Emperor.

My advice is to recruit a few fellow nations and then merge into Supernova X for an officers position.

True Story: I merged a micro into IAA in 2007 in return for a Moff of Imperial Communications position, a few months later I was Imperial Regent, then Emperor.

Translation: recruit for me so I don't have to do it and you can have some mind numbing tasks I delegate out

Translation: recruit for me so I don't have to do it and you can have some mind numbing tasks I delegate out

News flash: that's generally how new but ambitious people start out; lacking experience, I did the jobs others were too lazy to do while learning from those who have been in govt for a while.

News flash: that's generally how new but ambitious people start out; lacking experience, I did the jobs others were too lazy to do while learning from those who have been in govt for a while.

news flash: he can do that without recruiting and then merging into you. I'm not saying don't do the little guy jobs, that's already been suggested (and I agree wholeheartidly). Hell, the first reply by Alexio addressed that. My gripe was with you saying recruit fellow nations then merge into Supernova X. Why not just offer to have him come to SNX and give him a recruitment position? 

Hello,

I want tips on building an alliance.

Translation:

From what I've read building an alliance is allot of work, recruitment, strategy, foreign affairs ..ewww, what alliance is so inactive that I can do what Immortan Junka did and just take it over? That's seems much easier.

Edited by Freelancer

news flash: he can do that without recruiting and then merging into you. I'm not saying don't do the little guy jobs, that's already been suggested (and I agree wholeheartidly). Hell, the first reply by Alexio addressed that. My gripe was with you saying recruit fellow nations then merge into Supernova X. Why not just offer to have him come to SNX and give him a recruitment position?

He was asking for tips on starting an alliance, and I gave him my advice based on my own experience. Forming and operating any micro is a daunting task if you lack experience. Anyone who manages to do this shows a solid grasp of leadership skils, and I will give them more authority than a simple recruitment position.

See how LD's head is canted to her left? That was just from joining an alliance let alone starting one. Her alliance Web forums didn't auto rotate on her phone correctly and what you see in her avatar is the result.
This is why her view is never online with the rest if the world.
What ever you do. Have a decent mobile version of your alliance forums.

Yes because I am totally the person in my avatar photo. That's completely how that works. *eye roll*

I would also suggest never giving bright individuals like Kingneptune here white peace. Keep them at war as long as possible.