Cybernations 2.0?

Reziun

Hello All! 

I recently came back after being gone for ~5 years, and I was sadly disappointed to see that aside from the Alliance setup, there's been no real major updates. 

While this is a partial *cry* thread, I also want to spark some ideas. 

What would people love to see in a major update and/or a "Cybernations 2"?

How much funding would admin and his dev team (if a team exists) need to get the funding for said updates?

For having a game with almost no significant updates and still have a loyal following after 5 years is pretty impressive. Yes some people love this game just as it is, but the truth is that it is slowly diminishing in population, so lets curb that downward slope up again through some progress forward again :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yep....I'm on my second nation.....started back in the summer of '09. So in the 6 years I've been involved with this game, I've seen it slowly decay away to the husk of the game it once was. Hel, back in '09, there was something like 20k nations, now there is what, barely 7800 and out of those, how many are doing anything more than backcollecting? I've gotten to the point wers I said screw it and am now going nuke rouge just for lulz. I'm more than likely quitting, but we'll see what happens after the wars I'm currently in. I'm sure I propably pissed offa few folks by doing what I'm doing because of their precious pixels being destroyed....but cares....it's an "F-ing" game that has lost a lot....and I mean a lot, of the fun it used to have. Will it ever change.....not if the same people who have been running since '06 are still in control. It would take someone making a new game, from scratch, to maybe drum up an real interest, but until then, this baby is on life support and the plug should probabaly be pulled soon......if for nothing more than to end the suffering.

I think we would all love to see this game have more players, but maybe the popularity of browser based simulators has just gone down in general? I have not been with this game as long as most of you have, but I don't necessarily see this as a problem with the people running the game. The problem, at least to me, is that people just think the whole concept of this game is lame. When I tell my friends about it they seem to think that the idea of a nation simulator with a huge community aspect is not fun. They would all rather play their AAA console titles. Maybe those of us who are still die hard fans of this game and games like it are just a dying breed. That's my two cents on the matter.

I think we would all love to see this game have more players, but maybe the popularity of browser based simulators has just gone down in general? I have not been with this game as long as most of you have, but I don't necessarily see this as a problem with the people running the game. The problem, at least to me, is that people just think the whole concept of this game is lame. When I tell my friends about it they seem to think that the idea of a nation simulator with a huge community aspect is not fun. They would all rather play their AAA console titles. Maybe those of us who are still die hard fans of this game and games like it are just a dying breed. That's my two cents on the matter.

That's pretty much how I explained it here:

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?/blog/866/entry-3937-the-problem-with-cybernations/

If people don't like nations doing little more than back-collecting, have some balls, overthrow some inept alliance governments and try to push through some internal reforms.

Fundamentally the game is still solid, people just need to stop being lazy and enabling weakness/decay/poor discipline.

Edited by Immortan Junka

A reset with the following changes...

1. Tech cannot be sent as aid. You "copy" tech (your tech increases) instead of stealing it as a GA result. Tech can also be "copied" as a result of a spy op. Tech can be only be destroyed by CMs and nukes.

2. A hard cap on land.

3. Overhaul of the combat system to include new air units and new ground units (no not snipers, think light and mechanized infantry, perhaps airborne units).

4. Revised war range system that eliminates or radically reduces +/- nation rank inclusions.

A lot has been done to make the game more interesting over its run, first during the early years of the game and during the game's latter years.  A reset eliminates a lot issues with attempting to make helpful game changes that would otherwise be opposed by players.

I am confident that a reset would attract more players to CN than currently are playing the game if the recommended modifications are made.  Of course one has to have the courage to flip the switch--and I understand it would not be an easy decision.

Edited by ChairmanHal

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe in 2016, for a grand ten year anniversary, the game can be reset. Of course that wouldn't actually change anything in the long run. The same alliances would just reform and the same politics would just resume. it would simply be a more level playing field. However, I suspect a lot of people would quit if this happened.

I am confident that a reset would attract more players to CN than currently are playing the game if the recommended modifications are made.  Of course one has to have the courage to flip the switch--and I understand it would not be an easy decision.

I wouldn't be so sure, would probably just bring back a majority who were here before the reset, all text based games are on the decline from yester year.

I wouldn't be so sure, would probably just bring back a majority who were here before the reset, all text based games are on the decline from yester year.

Few things about that...

You'd want to advertise the relaunch as much as possible.  A mobile version of the interface (for iPhone and Android) would also be a must.  You would also wipe away all the forums and game bans.

Some additional "nice to haves":

1. Newer, more modern interface that reflects how people actually play the game.

2. Additional graphical/audio content.  I'm not asking for a first person shooter experience, or even WoW, but some small .gif files and such.

3. Additional ways to customize the browser interface.

4. The ability to add real time communications tools. For example, a link within a nation that when clicked would take you to a Skype session with that player.

Note that the players that end up playing a year or two out would likely be mostly new to the game, with only a percentage of people who that were associated with old CN still around...and that's ok.  We're talking the health of the game here.  It's needs fresh blood, along with a blend of older players and returning players.

Edited by ChairmanHal

Few things about that...

You'd want to advertise the relaunch as much as possible.  A mobile version of the interface (for iPhone and Android) would also be a must.  You would also wipe away all the forums and game bans.

Some additional "nice to haves":

1. Newer, more modern interface that reflects how people actually play the game.

2. Additional graphical/audio content.  I'm not asking for a first person shooter experience, or even WoW, but some small .gif files and such.

3. Additional ways to customize the browser interface.

4. The ability to add real time communications tools. For example, a link within a nation that when clicked would take you to a Skype session with that player.

Note that the players that end up playing a year or two out would likely be mostly new to the game, with only a percentage of people who that were associated with old CN still around...and that's ok.  We're talking the health of the game here.  It's needs fresh blood, along with a blend of older players and returning players.

I think this is a cool idea.

This biggest problem with the game is that it isn't advertised well. It's a great game- can be played on your phone.

Bottom line- I found it by accident- the player based put it to your Facebook just isn't going to cut it. Roll CN into an app and get it in the Apple Store.

And that's where CN needs to brand- into it being more mobile friendly- which is also the big trend right now anyway

Edited by Lord Hitchcock

• 5 months later...

If another version of CN was to be released I think I would like it to have a more in-depth nation management system where you set your budget and decide what it spent on, government types should effecting how citizen respond to that spending.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think a reset after eight years I would leave the game.

if the game ever reset, I would leave permanately tbh

And if the game dies you wouldn't be playing anymore either.

When it comes to this topic your opinion is really quite irrelevant. You will lose your nation permanently within a few years at most anyway. 

Edited by Vilian

And if the game dies you wouldn't be playing anymore either.

When it comes to this topic your opinion is really quite irrelevant. You will lose your nation permanently within a few years at most anyway. 

re·set

(rē-sĕt′)

To set again: reset a broken bone.

Helped you out with some English today

Edited by Samus

Helped you out with some English today

Allow me to help you out with basic logic:

A reset would be done with the intention of breathing life into a dying game.

No reset? The plug will inevitably be pulled and you lose your nation.

A reset is done? You quit.

In both scenarios the outcome is the same for you: no more CN.

You complaining about quitting if a reset is done only contributes to the game's death and takes away the potential fun others might have in a non-stagnated, fresh CN. Your opinion on a reset is therefore malignant.

You're welcome.