Supernova X Imperial Decree

I too find it morally reprehensible when my allies choose to defend themselves.

Indeed, they lack that virtue which SNX truly has -- the truest of CN virtues -- pixel hugging. We should all humbly and docilely approach this decree so that we may some day learn to emulate them. Edited by saxasm

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as seeing any bit of our remaining respect torn to shreds, I want to honestly thank everyone for having a civilized discussion, with the exception of Rey and Unkajo, about this.

Now, I want to sort of explain a situation to you all. When you have a history plagued with scandal and your last remaining devoted, very active members leave, how would you respond? Would you disband or would you fight for the survival of the alliance?

Now consider this, you've only been around for a week when you see numerous old friends jump ship because they don't want to be around if you disband. Shortly after their departure, you get your new forums. You're left with no charter, no knowledge of current treaties, no new nation guides, no academy, nothing. You now have an opportunity to disband or recreate the face of the alliance.

This is exactly what I have gone through. We didn't lose the forums for a month, per say. We lost them for a couple weeks and then took two weeks to recreate them from scratch. Now if you don't consider that we've been through a complete restructure of forums, restructure of government, completely new government, implementing a new charter, defense revamp, internal affairs rebuilding, and foreign affairs revamp all in the past five days as contextually relevant, then our calculated dropping of TSO isn't going to make sense. I understand that timing could have been better but talks of canceling began when I took an interim MoFA position almost two weeks ago. Recent events sparked the furnace to move on it and their complete disregard for our counseling was the straw that broke the camel's back. Honestly, this could have waited until after the war or at least the 48 hour clause. However, this was a long time coming.

As much as seeing any bit of our remaining respect torn to shreds, I want to honestly thank everyone for having a civilized discussion, with the exception of Rey and Unkajo, about this.

Now, I want to sort of explain a situation to you all. When you have a history plagued with scandal and your last remaining devoted, very active members leave, how would you respond? Would you disband or would you fight for the survival of the alliance?

Now consider this, you've only been around for a week when you see numerous old friends jump ship because they don't want to be around if you disband. Shortly after their departure, you get your new forums. You're left with no charter, no knowledge of current treaties, no new nation guides, no academy, nothing. You now have an opportunity to disband or recreate the face of the alliance.

This is exactly what I have gone through. We didn't lose the forums for a month, per say. We lost them for a couple weeks and then took two weeks to recreate them from scratch. Now if you don't consider that we've been through a complete restructure of forums, restructure of government, completely new government, implementing a new charter, defense revamp, internal affairs rebuilding, and foreign affairs revamp all in the past five days as contextually relevant, then our calculated dropping of TSO isn't going to make sense. I understand that timing could have been better but talks of canceling began when I took an interim MoFA position almost two weeks ago. Recent events sparked the furnace to move on it and their complete disregard for our counseling was the straw that broke the camel's back. Honestly, this could have waited until after the war or at least the 48 hour clause. However, this was a long time coming.

I agree with you up until the last bit. It couldn't have waited. No cancellation would mean either you'd get chided for not entering in defense of TSO or you throw your rebuilding weak alliance to a war they are ill-prepared for on the eve of a losing war and you cause further problems for SNX. Either way you'd start your new era cast in a negative light.

All things considered I think you made the best move possible. Edited by Unknown Smurf

I agree with you up until the last bit. It couldn't have waited. No cancellation would mean either you'd get chided for not entering in defense of TSO or you throw your rebuilding weak alliance to a war they are ill-prepared for on the eve of a losing war and you cause further problems for SNX. Either way you'd start your new era cast in a negative light.
All things considered I think you made the best move possible.

I appreciate your support Unknown Smurf Edited by 14dwright

It would of been worse to keep the treaty and ignore it, so I agree with Unknown Smurf's evaluation. Good luck with the rebuilding and restructuring. Some people will find a way to criticize you regardless of what you do.

It would of been worse to keep the treaty and ignore it, so I agree with Unknown Smurf's evaluation. Good luck with the rebuilding and restructuring. Some people will find a way to criticize you regardless of what you do.

Didn't they technically already ignore it and then cancel it?

If not fighting for TSO under the conditions requested counts as ignoring it, they did that to an active treaty, and then for good measure, trash canned the treaty.  If not fighting for TSO under the conditions requested doesn't counts as ignoring it for whatever reason, then this whole, better of two dumb ideas doesn't make any sense.

Although our treaty is canceled I hope we can have friendly relations in the future  

If not fighting for TSO under the conditions requested counts as ignoring it, they did that to an active treaty, and then for good measure, trash canned the treaty.  If not fighting for TSO under the conditions requested doesn't counts as ignoring it for whatever reason, then this whole, better of two dumb ideas doesn't make any sense.

No, we didn't ignore it. We canceled it to prevent the negative image of ignoring a treaty which was going to be canceled anyways. Thinking about it now, it would have been much worse to ignore it then cancel. Edited by 14dwright

Although our treaty is canceled I hope we can have friendly relations in the future

I wouldn't want it any other way. We have no ill will against you. We just felt that you guys had outgrown our protection and council.

I don't know under what conditions it was requested by TSO they fight for them if it was requested, but this wasn't a mutual defense pact and Die Linke just came out of a very damaging war not long ago. Considering those circumstances, its understandable why they did this rather than throw Die Linke into the fire over something which could of been resolved.

TSO wasn't in the Doom War, so they likely have a much bigger appetite for war than SNX right now. I don't think there is much use in mulling over how it could of been handled different or giving an alliance which has went through what SNX has a hard time over this. Edited by Methrage

Why are people assuming the protectorate was even invokable in this situation? I couldnt find a copy of the wording but unless there is something very odd in their particular relationship I would not expect it to even be a possible play here.

No, we didn't ignore it. We canceled it to prevent the negative image of ignoring a treaty which was going to be canceled anyways. Thinking about it now, it would have been much worse to ignore it then cancel.

Oh, my timeline must be off.  I had been led to believe you had cancelled it after they were attacked, not before.

I don't know under what conditions it was requested by TSO they fight for them if it was requested, but this wasn't a mutual defense pact and Die Linke just came out of a very damaging war not long ago. Considering those circumstances, its understandable why they did this rather than throw Die Linke into the fire over something which could of been resolved.

TSO wasn't in the Doom War, so they likely have a much bigger appetite for war than SNX right now. I don't think there is much use in mulling over how it could of been handled different or giving an alliance which has went through what SNX has a hard time over this.

I don't want to get into it too much but there was no formal requests made. It was just a seemingly standardized message to gov members in-game from Ceres. However, the past is the past and we're past this. We want positive relations with TSO in the future and wish them the best in this war.

The official wording is as follows:

1. Supernova-X and The Sovereign Order will not engage in acts of aggression against one each other
2. The Sovereign Order will be under the protection of Supernova-X
3. The Sovereign Order holds the option to assist Supernova-x militarily
4.This treaty may be cancelled with 48 hours notice from either signee

Don't take on protectorates if you're not going to actually protect. That's the rule of thumb here. SNX, you are literally a shit alliance, and I'm sad that LoSSers are there, as a former LoSSer myself. Regardless, TSO has a new protector via TCA that will actually follow through with it's word. You weren't needed anymore, SNX, and I think TSO is better without you lot.

Why are people assuming the protectorate was even invokable in this situation? I couldnt find a copy of the wording but unless there is something very odd in their particular relationship I would not expect it to even be a possible play here.

Probably because it's the logical assumption by anyone who's not playing the spin game, unless this is a non-standard protectorate agreement.

I don't want to get into it too much but there was no formal requests made. It was just a seemingly standardized message to gov members in-game from Ceres. However, the past is the past and we're past this. We want positive relations with TSO in the future and wish them the best in this war.

How awful. I mean, staying at war while not avidly invoking your (apparently) absent protector who not too long ago was utter unaware there even was a protectorate agreement? For shame TSO.

No, we didn't ignore it. We canceled it to prevent the negative image of ignoring a treaty which was going to be canceled anyways. Thinking about it now, it would have been much worse to ignore it then cancel.

You are ignoring it. It has a 48 hour cancellation clause but until that it is mandatory. So for the next 35 hours you are failing to fulfill your treaty. 

I

Hey our protectorate has been attacked.  What do they expect us to do?  Protect them?  That is silly.  Lets ignore the treaty and publicly announce we are canceling it.  What could possibly go wrong?  

This might be a Planet Bob first.  Has a protectorate ever been attacked and then abandoned by their protector before?  We have seen Protectorates start wars and get dropped.  However in my many years I have never seen a protectorate get attacked and the Protector just run away.  At least SNX has managed to do something that people will remember.   

The official wording is as follows:

1. Supernova-X and The Sovereign Order will not engage in acts of aggression against one each other
2. The Sovereign Order will be under the protection of Supernova-X
3. The Sovereign Order holds the option to assist Supernova-x militarily
4.This treaty may be cancelled with 48 hours notice from either signee

So it didnt apply here anyway, just like I thought. Thanks.

So is there anyone left who doesn't think SNX is a complete crap-bag of an alliance? I mean, outside of SNX, that is.

I don't, but I don't really have a clue about what kind of people they are. I guess my opinion wouldn't count then, huh?

Don't take on protectorates if you're not going to actually protect. That's the rule of thumb here. SNX, you are literally a !@#$ alliance, and I'm sad that LoSSers are there, as a former LoSSer myself. Regardless, TSO has a new protector via TCA that will actually follow through with it's word. You weren't needed anymore, SNX, and I think TSO is better without you lot.

Amen brother