Zero military not in anarchy

Artigo

It appears some nations have discovered a bug where it's possible to not be in anarchy despite having ZERO SOLDIERS DEFENDING THEIR NATION

http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=23377

http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=209755

I didn't think it was possible to have a stable, functioning government without a standing military

By declaring war on the nation and doing a Ground Attack, the nation ends up getting a Defeat Alert. I reckon an appropriate patch to this bug might be to simply have a rolling date for Anarchy if soldiers aren't bought within 24 hours of them dropping below the value listed in the "Amount to Deploy before Anarchy" value within the Deploy Military page.

It appears some nations have discovered a bug where it's possible to not be in anarchy despite having ZERO SOLDIERS DEFENDING THEIR NATION

http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=23377

http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=209755

I didn't think it was possible to have a stable, functioning government without a standing military

All Nations when created have 0 soldiers and they also get to choose what government they want. Any change would result in all new Nations starting off in anarchy for 3 days in effect.

All Nations when created have 0 soldiers and they also get to choose what government they want. Any change would result in all new Nations starting off in anarchy for 3 days in effect.

Can't Admin simply tie the 0 soldiers thing in to the grace period currently in place for new nations? So as soon as they period is over, having soldiers is required otherwise you get Anarchy.

Date of creation and 3,000 days-in are not anywhere close to the same scenario.

You recieve the ability to switch out of anarchy 2 days after your soldier count is depleted. You still suffer negative collection effects of having no troops if you do it, just not anarchy ones a day after switching.

You recieve the ability to switch out of anarchy 2 days after your soldier count is depleted. You still suffer negative collection effects of having no troops if you do it, just not anarchy ones a day after switching.

But you can just buy troops the day you decide to collect.

Sounds like more of an exploit than a bug now that you point that out.

I basically agree it can be exploited such that one could declare wars without ever having troops. I'm not sure that is a lot different from being able to buy troops ---> declare war ---> delete troops though?

It is a long standing well known feature of the system ( we have it in our notes from several years ago), and it has always been that way, therefore it is not a bug.

While it has certain advantages it has certain disadvantages as well. Having no soldiers does convey economic penalties when collecting.

It is a long standing well known feature of the system ( we have it in our notes from several years ago), and it has always been that way, therefore it is not a bug.

While it has certain advantages it has certain disadvantages as well. Having no soldiers does convey economic penalties when collecting.

Just because it'd been around for years doesn't mean that changes can't be made. I mean look at the increase of the foreign aid cap from 3/50 to what it is today or even the introduction of the EMP nuke.

Just because it'd been around for years doesn't mean that changes can't be made. I mean look at the increase of the foreign aid cap from 3/50 to what it is today or even the introduction of the EMP nuke.

I'm not saying anything about changes, we are talking about bugs. Is it a bug? No. Should it be changed? That would make for an interesting discussion.

I'm not saying anything about changes, we are talking about bugs. Is it a bug? No. Should it be changed? That would make for an interesting discussion.

It could be argued as a bug as the Anarchy government clock doesn't get reset every day there are less soldiers defending then there should be.

It could be argued as a bug as the Anarchy government clock doesn't get reset every day there are less soldiers defending then there should be.

Perhaps but that would keep extending the 3 day clock. In practice this function has no influence upon gameplay and hasn't for all the years it has been used. One could certainly offer up suggestions on how to modify the governmental system to encompass all the differing states and effects of anarchy, but it isn't a bug. I would wager some folks would even call it a feature.

Perhaps but that would keep extending the 3 day clock. In practice this function has no influence upon gameplay and hasn't for all the years it has been used. One could certainly offer up suggestions on how to modify the governmental system to encompass all the differing states and effects of anarchy, but it isn't a bug. I would wager some folks would even call it a feature.

But even then patches get released all the time for stuff like this in other mediums. It's a feature that needs to be resolved because with the introduction of the criminal feature to the game, having no soldiers makes no sense. With no soldiers, who keeps the peace and prevents anarchy from arising from these criminals?

This is clearly a travesty of game coding, you could even call it game breaking, someone should punish these neutrals for having zero soldiers.

Definitely.  But why stop there?  No one should be able to use this exploit.

Seems ridiculous to have a functioning government/nation and have no personnel in the defense department.

I'm also sure you can go below 20% soldiers, which correct me if I'm wrong usually puts you into anarchy, by buying lots of infra. That doesn't put you in anarchy either. You get a notice next to your soldier count saying you need to buy more though.

Definitely.  But why stop there?  No one should be able to use this exploit.

Seems ridiculous to have a functioning government/nation and have no personnel in the defense department.

Maybe they use contractors instead of soldiers......

I'm also sure you can go below 20% soldiers, which correct me if I'm wrong usually puts you into anarchy, by buying lots of infra. That doesn't put you in anarchy either. You get a notice next to your soldier count saying you need to buy more though.

Again, huge difference between increased infra count requiring more soldiers AND deliberately selling off your nations entire military, suffering no financial consequences period.

Matter of fact, it's actually beneficial to not have a military.  Less bills on top of not actually suffering any penalty.  

Exploit 11/10

Maybe they use contractors instead of soldiers......

I've been trying to get pmcs in this game for years don't play that homie

Again, huge difference between increased infra count requiring more soldiers AND deliberately selling off your nations entire military, suffering no financial consequences period.

Matter of fact, it's actually beneficial to not have a military.  Less bills on top of not actually suffering any penalty.  

Exploit 11/10

I've been trying to get pmcs in this game for years don't play that homie

What I'm getting at is the code is probably the same for each action. Though i'm no coder, so just guessing. So I don't know how interconnected they are.

pmcs would be pretty cool. Especially if they were say hidden from everyone else and you could choose between having them as defensive or offensive.

It could possibly be worth having some red text when you are nearing a threshold (up to 100 away) of infra saying something like "Your nation is close to being gripped with riots. It would be advisable to purchase more soldiers to offset this." If the nation decides to go ahead and buy infra which puts them over the soldier counter, then they got a pop up stating "Are you sure you want to buy this? You will end up in anarchy if you don't buy soldiers first!" If they continue buying the infra, they get anarchy and then stay in anarchy until they buy over the limit for defending soldiers causing anarchy in which case they wait three days after doing that to change government.