Make TE Pay to Play

Gizmo

It would also drastically drop the membership too. How many actually donate now? A dozen max would be my guess going off economy growth levels at the start but then there are always a few noobs who donate and it just makes up for bad building so they end up only looking average? Admin would know this number and that's about as many as you'll get maybe with a few more extra. Then there is the possibility that many of them would quit if there is only a limited amount of competition. Half if not most of those currently donating are all in the same alliance.

The assumption is that it would drop numbers but I doubt it. If you had either a $10 fee and/or as an added bonus for those who donate $30 to SE then it could be billed as a round of elites (which it would be). CN is full of big egos and I bet a fair number would jump at it. Right now there are only 354 nations and the number keeps dwindling with the current system.

masterbake, for once I actually agree with Daenerys.  All this would do is result in the extinction of TE.  Instead of having ~50 people donating $30 amonth, you'd have nobody paying $10 a month because playing a game with only 50 people playing would be too boring to justify the cost.  It kills the game, thus killing admin's profits.

DT and I finally agree on something. :)

Several points:

1) Few people who use donations in TE actually pay for them with real life money. Most come with SE tech payment or previous rounds.

2) The playing field is not tilted by donations so much as it is tilted by temp trading, in all honesty. Sure, donations help start the round off with an extra 300 infra, but the amount of cash that yields is minimal compared to collecting with the correct resources.

3) People are more apt to pay cash in a game format that does not reset.

4) If this was implemented, I cannot see more than 30 people playing, if that.

I really don't think that would scare people away as much as you think. Three months of $30 donations in SE would qualify many if admin went that route for example. Someone who donates every month in SE could sponsor 2 other people basically for free assuming 90 day rounds. We have 354 people. It's already boring trying to pretend to be upset at the same few people over and over again to make the wars interesting.

300 infra early in the round is huge.

I think one and done for cash is a much bigger draw. I don't think the reset is much of a factor otherwise why would people donate now when the game resets?

I think the numbers would increase.

Edited by masterbake

I really don't think that would scare people away as much as you think. Three months of $30 donations in SE would qualify many if admin went that route for example. Someone who donates every month in SE could sponsor 2 other people assuming 90 day rounds. We have 354 people. It's already boring trying to pretend to be upset at the same few people over and over again to make the wars interesting.

I think one and done for cash is a much bigger draw. I don't think the reset is much of a factor otherwise why would people donate now when the game resets?

You're assuming that people would want to sponsor other people.  Game money's game money; real money is real money.  The only way I'm applying real cash to someone's in-game account is if I'm getting at least 800 tech in SE and I think you'll find almost everyone will share this sentiment.  And, 300 infra early round isn't much.  300 infra on top of 4k infra is far, far more.

You'd end up with a complex system of bartering tech for sponsorships in SE and there's just too little interest there to support such a system's existence.

Furthermore, not everyone can afford to pay even for donations, or they can afford it but would rather spend their RL funds on other things.  The donation system lets people who DO want to pay receive a bonus that gives them an edge, but not an unbeatable edge such as what you see in "freemium" games.

sorry bout the edits, I forget words when I've been drinking

Edited by Nick GhostWolf

I really don't think that would scare people away as much as you think. Three months of $30 donations in SE would qualify many if admin went that route for example. Someone who donates every month in SE could sponsor 2 other people assuming 90 day rounds. We have 354 people. It's already boring trying to pretend to be upset at the same few people over and over again to make the wars interesting.

See my first point regarding people paying for TE. Players pay for an advantage over every other nation when they donate in CyberNations, which would not be possible under your suggestion, and thereby negate the reward from the donation itself. 

People pay money for a benefit. If every pays then no one benefits and it cancels out. The current system allows people to support the game while getting a minor bonus at the beginning of the round which is usually negated shortly after.

I would not play either.

The idea is to increase the user base, not dwindle it to an elite competition between nations. Its about the AA. Luckily admin has provided "wins" for AA achievements, and he SHOULD go all the way and remove individual prizes. And remove final NS as a trigger in any AA award. Perhaps mix it up from round to round as well. Weve had 3 rounds of the same.

Edited by StevieG

I would not play either.

The idea is to increase the user base, not dwindle it to an elite competition between nations. Its about the AA. Luckily admin has provided "wins" for AA achievements, and he SHOULD go all the way and remove individual prizes. And remove final NS as a trigger in any AA award. Perhaps mix it up from round to round as well. Weve had 3 rounds of the same.

I didn't see you complaining about the individual awards when no one else was racing Avenger nations for the individual awards last round.

I don't see any problem with the current awards system, its well balanced between teams and warfare as well as individuals and economy. Take away the individual awards and i can assure you that many who donate while in alliances with many players who don't use donations/temps will likely stop as they have no chance at any team awards and in most cases, there is little they can do to change that unless they take up the Avengers approach and only recruit experienced/update active players. Most of these alliances not only want to grow the player base but also see them grow and prosper, this is why many alliances send out mass recruitment messages and have forums set up with build/military guides to put them on the right path.

I find your opinion strongly bias since the Avengers will likely take every team award.

The user base is small because the old donating hacks trash them out of the round. Nothing slightly honorable about that.

It has only started with the Avengers doing it on a mass scale. The team awards are likely at fault for this but its what everyone wanted but no one expected an experienced group would form together so they could dominant everyone and everything but it should have been expected, something similar was done over in SE.

Edited by Daenerys Targaryen

• 1 month later...

If it were $3 to play it would stumble some but it would recup it's self and membership could grow.  Small entry would stop all the clowns, harder to invite dormant resource nations.  Youths prob drop off w/o payment resources.  I imagine running this game isn't all that easy, people just need to donate once in a while at least.

lol you can definitely count me out if I had to pay to play. I can't believe this thread made me agree (strongly at that) with Daenerys.....

Edited by Dragonshy

Great suggestion on how to kill whats left of the game. Squeeze out those lemons i say. Kill them hens who lay the nuke eggs round after round.

Thumbs-Up.png