Christmas and War May Not Mix

kingzog

(So I was going to put this in an IC area, but it's easier to put it here than elsewhere with a whole mess of 'OOC' tags.)

Was typing at one of my opponents earlier today and we were discussing our plans for Christmas.

Me? Well, for the first time since 2003, my wife and I are staying home instead of shuttling between awkward family get-togethers where people pretend to like each other but, you know, don't. I will not be spending a total of four hours driving. I will not spend the day in awkward silence around people I can barely stand. I will not have to avoid having a drink if I'd like to indulge.

In other words, I will actually be celebrating a quiet family Christmas for the first time in more than a decade.

Thing is....I know that many folks are not as lucky as my family and me. Many of us will be bouncing back and forth to various relatives, some of whom actually care for each other and don't impose awkward social situations on us.

With this in mind, it is my intention to try to negotiate a 'Christmas truce' with my opponents. Please keep in mind that I will be home and available all day, so I'm not trying to avoid attacks. Instead, I'm going to suggest that other people be allowed to enjoy their day without having to rush to a computer. And this is because the idea of interrupting someone's Christmas celebration to 'play Cybernations' is distasteful to me.

So, for the majority of us who will be celebrating Christmas in one way or another, maybe this is something to keep in mind. (And if you work something out and the other person attacks anyway, please feel free to post details about what a completely dishonest !@#$% they are.)

If Christmas and war mix for you, as they do for me, then good for you. But maybe, just maybe, this is the time of year when you're really supposed to think about others.

Just a suggestion. Accept, reject, modify or ignore. Up to you.

Regardless of what you might think, enjoy this video.

Edited by kingzog

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's great to be a Jew in CN, not having to worry about these things, just being able to nuke the goyim at any hour of the day.

Oy vey, like we need to create even more anti semites. Just give the nice people one day without the banging and all the noise, it'll be a mitzvah.

if people are abandoning their families to play this !@#$%* game then i think they have bigger problems than a war happening on christmas

This. I will offer my opponents a Christmas and Christmas eve truce. If they reject I will only attack them the rest of the war for being a grinch. :p

I might offer a Christmas truce, and would accept one if it was offered.

Definitely going to offer a New Years eve update truce.

I actually got this idea from a younger player in my home, who told me he had already discussed this with one of his opponents.  I'm going to approach my opponents with said truces, as well.

Why does everyone seem to have awkward interactions with their families during the holidays, particularly the extended versions? I honestly look forward to the instances I get to see them and tend to think I have quality time spent. Sure I have my issues with certain people and no one is perfect but I've never understood why people dread visiting their families. Maybe I'm just lucky :P

Anyways I'm rambling, Christmas truces are a genuinely good idea.

Why does everyone seem to have awkward interactions with their families during the holidays, particularly the extended versions?

It's not everyone. But some of us carry around an awful lot of 'baggage', y'know?

In the case of my wife's family, the reason everyone got together was that her grandmother was still alive. She died over the Summer at the tender age of 91, and it turns out that most of her seven kids (and their spouses, the 15ish grandkids and the various great-grandkids) would rather stay home with their own families than see their extended family. This is more or less what happened in my own family after my grandfather died. He was the glue that kept us talking to each other.

And Anarquista....if a person of another religion asked me to put a hold on a war so they could celebrate something central to their faith, I'd be just fine with that. The fact is, though, that the majority of CN players are either Christian or what you might call 'culturally Christian' in the sense of still doing the various holidays but not actually going to church.

Edited by kingzog

sorry but what makes Christmas so special from any other holiday, it is western-Christian centric, unless you want to observe the other days and religions, I don't see the point

Most CN players are western and/or Christian and celebrate Christmas.

I'm also with kingzog that I would be willing to agree to a truce for someone celebrating another religious holiday that was important to them.

Why should people that have lives get an advantage over those without?

It's not a black and white thing.  I, and probably many others, COULD check CN on Christmas, be up for both updates, do attacks, etc.  And probably would/will if a truce doesn't happen.  But I'd much rather not and if the same is true for my opponents, a Christmas truce is a win/win.

Unless you did a census, I doubt this.

I'm sure, sadeeki, that if you asked for peace over, say,   Eid-al-Fitr, it would be honored.

however, while I do doubt part of his statement, for the most part, CN is played by Westerners/people to whom the celebration of Christmas/peace during Christmas isn't a foreign concept. Peace, on the whole, is a good thing, and preferable to war.

Anarquista, you seem to be bucking the trend just for the sake of it; is it really necessary to whinge and moan about what for most Westerners is a secular holiday?